• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

92 low voltage engine light flashing

boss4457

Reaction score
92 6.5 TD engine light flashes, in and out of lockup sometimes the light will stay out and locks up fine cleaned battery to engine ground one more on left back of engine near intake. cant find the frame ground the voltage is under 14 when I turn lights on it drops to about 11 volts. Any help?

Check batteries at the terminal you are using as side posts will burn open before top post.

Clean the positive bus connections at the passinger firewall. Battery to firewall connection goes by manifold and starter where heat melts insulation off.

Pull codes. Flashing SES light on my 1993 was from trans speed sensor wires insulation falling off.

Idk how to pull codes the bus conection is the strip bolted on to firewall with like five diffrent wires going to it?

I noticed when the truck is warm the light likes to stay off but if te light comes on and i press the button on my plow controller (drawing current) the light will go out like flipping a switch but comes back on ?

Frame ground is back of passinger head. Some just install a new ground strap.

Paperclip code reading method is on here somewhere.

IMO where the plow ties in for power on the positive side is a bad connection.

ALDL connector under the dash, in the area of the steering wheel. using a paper clip or appropriate size of wire, bend it so that the terminals A and B can be contacted. shove the wire into the connector. turn on the key, a code 12 will flash automatically, then any codes after that can be wrote down and looked up. there may be several.

As above.... the code 12 is a slow flash then quicker flash of the SES light it will repeat 3 times, Then if there are stored codes it will flash accordingly. this will continue through all stored codes then will go back to the 1-2 code,

Ok I got it to work it would flash once slight pause then flash twice quickly so it only read code 12 im going to start it up cut it off then try again Thanks everyone

Load test the battery one at a time if there are 2?
If they are tested good, then test the alternator.
Also check all the wires/cables, especially the one hooked up to the alternator.

I got both batteries tested they were good i fixed the broken frame ground wire i took wire from frame to firewall and then engine to frame still having same issues but its a lil better voltage has came up to 13.5 ish

Well, if that is the case, test the alternator.
It is not that difficult to take out and bring it to a rebuilder to test.

Ive got a brand new one i was gona put on for winter but the 10mm bolt broke off the back. Im gonna take it to the auto electric shop who rebuilt the starter to see if they have can replace it. Speaking of starters my truck doesn't have the starter brace I cant figure out where the starter brace is supposed to bolt to.

I believe @Hink 's article referenced here shows where the brace goes into the block. Don't start the engine again without it on - No, NOT EVEN ONCE MORE! Yeah, tow it if you have to. The next start can bust the block corner clean off making the block scrap metal. :eek: You know a 10 HP starter that makes more torque than your lug nuts can take...

https://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/t...er-change-article-finished.47116/#post-554321

Yeah, SCRAP METAL!!! Bond-o hid this defect, but, it was a $200 buy just for parts. From the 1992 project of mine, link

DSCN3960.JPG

My truck has been starting with no starter brace for a good 150-200k ive got a good block lol but im gonna order that starter brace should the bolt be already there or what?

You are lucky: Buy a lotto ticket. Next start can break it clean off... GM should have used a 3 bolt starter mount like most of the rest of the diesel world does...

No I doubt the bolt is still there, but, you can look. It's a bolt into the block and the starter needs a stud and nut on it. The Block bolt is the same size as the PS bracket brace bolt on the other side of the engine, both are a PIA to get too. Picture from the link referenced should show this.

So here is what the rest of my bracket looks like. Its looks like someone tried to weld it at one point in time do you guys have any ideas what i can do? Im thinking about welding a bolt on there and taking some angling iron and drilling holes to make a bracket. But first i got to figure out how to secure it to the block.

Attachments

• IMG_2269.jpg
    IMG_2269.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 12
Back