• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

92 low voltage engine light flashing

Buy this starter brace, it is the correct one.
Then with it in place, mark the block where the hole should be with a sharpie.
Remove starter so you have room to work. Center punch so your bit doesn’t slip and drill then tap the hole

Slow speed on the drill bits. The metal is hard from the welding, so use the best bit you can get- kobalt prefferably and don’t get the bit hot..

Too often with a broken rusted bolt, people get fixated on getting the old bolt out, which looks like what happened here. You just need a place for the bolt.

CC2A969B-520A-4C15-B70E-819A5EB0EC8A.png

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-GM-23502557-Starter-Bracket/dp/B00GV77H2U

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Is it even possible to get a drill in there i think i should grind those old welds off before i begin to drill

You will want to pull the inner fender out. It will give you a good bit more room. It’s not hard at all. Mines been out a couple times. I would grind the weld smooth and flush with tit on the block and then do like Will said.

Ok thanks guys i will keep you guys posted the brace should be here next Thursday any particular size and thread pitch i should make the bolt

Anyone know the size and thread pitch of the original bolt? I broke of all the old welds trying to turn the stud out and theres still sum threads sticking out i was going to thead a nut on it weld the inside of the nut and try removing it that way. Its going to be really hard to get my drill up in there. Im going to have to cut the drill bit in half or a quater to get my dril in there

Pull the power steering pump bracket bolt from the other side of the engine block if you dare with the rust. It's the same bolt. Metric.

Well guys I got that problem fixed. Soo today after putting my new alternator on that i had sitting in the garage the pulley nut came off and started making a grinding noise. So i figured i would baby it home. That didnt work the belt came off slit a hole in the lower radiator hose. So my question is is there a certain way to burp the radiator? Also is there a certain way to put the starter leads on the way i have it now the little nub on the big wire is almost touching the small start wire soldiering i think its supposed to go the other way i will take a picture and post it.

The alt pulley is specific to a diesel engine - KEEP IT! The ignorant parts store and more ignorant rebuilder will have a smaller gasser pulley that will throw the tach off. If you don't already have a gasser pulley from same ignorance chain GM started by having to make one fing part different for the diesel. Yes, we change it in the parts store making them demo their owns for sale tools. The electric impact is my favorite quick and dirty tool of choice for this.

Sorry for all the replies I figured out the sizes it wont really matter since my truck is a 92. Here is a picture of my starter lugs see how the big one is almost touching the small ones soldering.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-10-24-20-31-37.png
    Screenshot_2018-10-24-20-31-37.png
    151.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_2018-10-24-20-31-37.png
    Screenshot_2018-10-24-20-31-37.png
    151.6 KB · Views: 10
My project 1992 work truck package had a tach, but, that may have been optional with it's other option packages like cruise, PW, and PL. No reason to let a antique and hard to obtain diesel specific pulley go if his is still the proper part.

Back