• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1995 Chevrolet C3500-HD

Had a buddy look up a wiring diagram for me on this truck.
Clutch start switch has two wires, yellow and purple.
Purple goes from clutch to starter solenoid.
yellow goes from ignition switch to clutch switch.
Turn on key it puts 12V to yellow wire.
Which if clutch is pushed in puts 12V to purple wire.
Then 12v goes to starter solenoid.
I have an issue some where on the purple wire.
12V works on yellow but never makes it to the solenoid.

sounds like you need to make up some test leads so you can hook up a test light onto the test lead and be able to see the light

I have a power probe. I hooked it up to the purple wire and gave it a hit of 12v.
That should have activated the starter. It did not! i feel the purple wire is broke, someplace.
I am going to run the truck to a buddies house tomorrow and see what the problem is.

I have not messed with the clutch switch yet.
The purple wire is not doing what it is suppose to do.

The purple wire was lose on the starter. Tightened it up and it fixed the problem.
My truck is a standard transmission. It has no relay under the hood.
I am just glad to finally fix the issue. This one has been giving me grief for over 30 days!

Just caught this thread too late to suggest you check the starter solenoid stud and nut for a good, tight connection with the purple ignition wire. The exact same thing gave me fits for over two weeks with no starter engagement no-start scenarios about seven years ago. In addition, every time I would turn the key to start it, it would blow the jumbo 40 amp Ign Circuit B fuse, which aren't cheap, (note: every time you go to a pullityourself yard, snag pocketfuls of those jumbo fuses from every GMT-400 you can find, the one here charges me a couple of bucks for each handful) so that I finally wound up just sticking a bent piece of 12 ga. solid strand wire in in place of the fuse just so the poor connection could carry enough current to kick the solenoid in.

Back