• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1978 Nomad Trailer Restoration/Project: 88GMCtruck is at it again.

I would have stuck the GMC sticker on the out side and confused the heck out of folks.
Nice job, though you are crazy, that good kind of crazy. :hypnotized:

I would have stuck the GMC sticker on the out side and confused the heck out of folks.
Nice job, though you are crazy, that good kind of crazy. :hypnotized:
Thought about using this one there but didn't. Still thinking of getting a larger one made for the outside to go where to nomad was on the front and back.

Did you steal the GMC emblem from the pooch in your Avatar?
Nope :D

Have you thought of putting a awning on the Nomad?
Some RV shops have spring specials were they place one big order to save on shipping. I got a 20' awning for my camper for like $425 that way.

That's an excellent suggestion...I didn't have one on the 71 prowler...just a rail for a canopy...
The awning on the new one makes me want to hangout outside more...

I've thought about one a few times, If i run across a used one cheap on craiglist i'll likely snag it. For now this is my solution. I only put it out in the rain or when camping where there is no shade.

2011-07-11_12-06-15_403.jpg

Just finished up a few things over the weekend and tonight after work.

I removed the screens and repaired/painted the window trim. While they were drying I cleaned the screens and of all things, tinted the windows. Yes, you read right. I tinted the windows. 5% to be exact. I also hammer finished a few other items (shower trim, window cranks) and re-installed everything. It's really coming together!
P1120193.jpg

P1120194.jpg

P1120196.jpg

P1120198.jpg

P1120199.jpg

P1120200.jpg

P1120197.jpg

LED range hood and diffused lens.
P1120210.jpg

Bathroo
P1120205.jpg

P1120206.jpg

P1120209.jpg

I have never posted a picture of this. The original fire extinguisher from 1978. Still has a full charge and is ready to go.
P1120203.jpg

P1120204.jpg

Couple shots of how dark the 5% tint is. At night, if the lights are off it's almost pitch black inside.
P1120211.jpg

P1120213.jpg

The only things left are curtains and upholstery. Fabric is really expensive I've come to find out. I'm going to see what I can come up with, curtains are going to be first. I'm hoping to get rid of the ugly green inside once and for all.

Suggestion for upholstery fabric. Hunt down some of those canvas weight drop cloths that are made of real fabric. Harbor freight used to have them, they were made in India and woven of course cotton. Wash them, bleach them and then dye them what ever you want. I have some I am going to make a costume robe out of and after a trip through the washer on high heat it looks and feels nice. Course with a bit of texture. And cheap :) Can you sew?

That is an excellent idea. I want something that looks good and is durable, and of course cheap. That may just be the ticket. :D

I can't sew well, but i have some people who can help me.

ive followed u from the start of this project...you have done a fine job of things..you have given me insperation to work on my own 5er just want to say thank you very much..and keep us posted!!!

Dang, that camper looks good. When you get finished it will be better than a new one. I have a project for you after you get done with that one..........:)

hey that camper looks good now, and guess what i just went a bought me one a 78 nomad also model 2050, i paid 1,500 for it and its not in to bad of shape. but its my first camper so alot of guess and learning ahead. the cool thing is ALL of the origenal owners manulas came with it,stove, fridge,pump everything. may be calling on you to give me some pointers.

taking it on its maden voige this weekend into the north Georgia mountains.

tom

Since the 99 is for sale I'll be going back to towing with the 88. This weekend I took a bit of a break from the trailer and started on my next project to be: installing a 14FF from a cucv into the 88. Being from a cucv, it's already geared to 4.56, has a detroit and the best part was, it was free. Also got a set of 8-lug outers for the D44 up front.
2012-02-16_23-19-48_519.jpg

Also picked up these to go along with it. 16x8 Eagle 058 aluminum wheels mounted on a set of 285/75R16 load D Cooper Discoverer ST tires at about 70% tread. $400 off the craigslist. A few hours with the air tool and polish and they are lookin' spiffy.
2012-02-19_20-54-22_819.jpg

2012-02-19_20-54-34_530.jpg

Snagged a center cap from the 99 just to see how they look. Thinking a GMC set of these will be in order.
2012-02-18_22-17-03_869.jpg

Did get back to the trailer tonight. Pulled the fridge and did some mods. I've always used a small battery powered fridge fan to help circulate the air inside and keep things cool. Instead of dealing with batteries etc, I mounted a 80MM fan inside the fridge on the cooling coils, and to help even more, a 120mm fan in the roof vent for the cooling stack. The switch is a 2-way, left turns on the interior fan and the blue light (cold fan). The right side turns both the inside and outside fan and blue (cold fan) and red light (hot fan). The idea is when it's moderate outside, i'll only need the inside fan to circulate the cool air. When it's hot both will be in use in order to pass more air past the back heating/cooling stack.
2012-02-20_21-16-25_827.jpg

2012-02-20_21-16-34_319.jpg

I have a set of those rims in my garage. Paid $140. They were sold as 16" and looked like 16". Took the rig in to have the tires mounted. 16.5". I was pretty pissed. I was looking forward to seeing those rims on my truck.

hey that camper looks good now, and guess what i just went a bought me one a 78 nomad also model 2050, i paid 1,500 for it and its not in to bad of shape. but its my first camper so alot of guess and learning ahead. the cool thing is ALL of the origenal owners manulas came with it,stove, fridge,pump everything. may be calling on you to give me some pointers.

taking it on its maden voige this weekend into the north Georgia mountains.

tom

Awesome! post up some pictures, i'm curious to see it. My trailer BTW is a model 1920.

I wish i had the manuals for mine, not that they are anything really I couldn't figure out.

Back