• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1978 Nomad Trailer Restoration/Project: 88GMCtruck is at it again.

Oh there will be plenty of photos :)

Unfortunately there isn't any good way to move the chains up at all - my camper actually just rests on the hitch extension as is. The chains aren't providing any upward lift anyway, just side to side stability. The two 2" bars have plates between them that torque them together combined with them both being pinned into the receiver - The top tube is solid 2" for almost the entire length, then sleeved over for the receiver portion. The lower bar is 2" tube and is bolted together with the upper. I've seen many, many of these hitches in action, they look scary but after assembling and using one, I can assure you they are anything but. It really acts as an extension of the trucks frame, I've not found any movement or flex in the system yet.
How would weight distribution work on something so far extended...Like I said earlier...it looks scary, and I'm sure the engineers have it all figured out...I can live with that and the standard capacity...but that Weight distribution capacity is just nuts, to expect those two bars to have the leverage from that far away to turn the hitch to weight distribution...

Has been weird going home to the empty space next to the house. Will be missed in some ways but i'm glad I have moved on.

The entire set up is really sweet, especially for the PNW. Love the shots! I'm in Carnation.
I have an identical Nomad I picked up to match my '75 Ford f250, sick ass green too.

Well, here's the thing... I hope I can get your advice on an electrical nightmare. Do you have a wiring diagram for the running lights, side makers, etc? My rig has been redone in the last couple years by the PO, all the fixtures are sealed well, all terminals cleaned, bulbs all new. I was having an issue with the RT tailight/brake/turn and the top running lights we pretty dim, so being the idiot my wife believes me to be, I tore apart the truck to trailer splice and uncovered a few surprises; first, the elec brakes were NOT hooked up, the wires terminated at the main splice. Second, well, that's where the idiot part comes in...I know I have a ground issue because there is some really strange stuff happening, like - at sort-of random intervals the lights on the trailer, AND my truck go out while testing, and when one side works the other does not...sorry, but if I can't see it, smell it, or shoot it, I don't get it.

Do you have a diagram that could help out.

Welcome to TTS, I can't help with a diagram. Sometimes I find it easier to tear out the old and start fresh.

I don't have a diagram, i can tell you the trailer plug goes to a fuse panel on the tongue of the trailer. There is also a ground point that should go from the tongue to the plug and another to the battery. The fuses are running lights, left brake/signal and right brake/signal. the wiring rungs from there through the walls of the trailer. All the lights are daisy-chained together. The front 5 and two front side running lights are on one "chain", same with the rear and rear side running lights. The two tail lights are chained together. All the wiring runs down the driver side of the trailer concealed in the walls.

Back