• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Best overall diesel engine oil winter vs summer

Today -41° the car stood for 2 days in the fresh air. Started up this morning. oil Neste siry pro 0w-40, accumulator VARTA Blue Dynamic E12 bought in 2017
View attachment 69468View attachment 69469
I have thought of running the 0-40 oil in My truck during the winter. Most times it gets plugged so its warm, but, when I go out fishing, the truck will sometimes set for three or four days in -20 degrees F and there is no way to plug it in. Then is when that 0 would come in mighty handy. 😹😹😹

Moreover, there are many Russians among Canadians.
A lot of Russians over in Alaska where My son lives. See a lot of them. There was an Orthodox Church next to where he used to live. I thought about attending a service there but didnt know if I would be welcomed in. If they did the sermon in the Russian language I’d loose out anyhow.

Ok, now that we know how to spot a virgin... While this would have been nice to know some time ago, now that I know better, am not sure whether a battle-hardened jaded one is better though. ;)

Late to the conversation, but... Back to one of the early comments.

Use caution when taking a high mileage engine with unknown history from dyno to synthetic.

Just went through this with the new-to-me 7.3. Found tons of leaks as a result. Engine ran a lot better though. Well, Ok the synthetic was only part of the improvement as I also had to fix fuel, intake, and exhaust leaks too.

Shell rotella is very hard to get in my area How is the castrol edge 0-40 synthetic?
View attachment 69424

This is Gasser oil NOT Diesel oil.
denoted by API SN --- S is for gasser and there is no CK (K being the most current for diesel with C as the first letter).
What you want is the oil with CK or older CJ sometimes they add the number "4" after that.

Diesel oil have the capability to deal with the soot (that is why the oil is black).
While gasser oil are not designed to handle too much soot.

You are in Seguin, TX. I don't think you need 0w-40 anyway.
I am using WM Supertech Dino or Mobil Dino (now blend) at around $10 per gallon and change it more often.

Last edited:
I dropped in the mobil 1 diesel 5w40 and went ahead with the delco filter even though it's an e core one. so far so good on better start up but I will keep my eye on it especially in the cold mornings. I also want to plum in a manual oil gauge because I don't trust the cluster. just haven't gotten around to that yet.

I am searching online at different centrifuge setups.

Well folks I'm back to the oil searching again, it's not quite time yet to change it with the Mobil 1 5w40 diesel oil that's in it, but I figured I'd look to see if supply has gotten any better than it was before.

Well I was wrong no one has or can get the Mobil 1 diesel oils in my area. I only found one place to order it, that was Amazon with the only thing they showed was a 6 pack of quart bottles for $67 !!! Ouch!!!

While I was at work today I reached out to our fuel supplier to see what they could get. they can get Rotella T6 5w40 in gallons and sell by the case for under $90. that seems like a good deal for 3 gallons.

Question. I know some have mentioned it before but how well does our 6.5's like the synthetic Rotella? running the Mobil 1 5w40 diesel oil my engine has quieted down and seems to really like it. I really hate the thought of switching again to something else after finding an oil that it likes!

I've been using T6 0-40 for 2 years in my 98. Twice the gfi tripped. It's on a dial type timer so I know it tripped the moment it came on, the first time it was -25C, the next day it was -30C. Both times it started just fine.

I will admit that engine is a one of a kind, but there is almost no puff of smoke and almost instant oil pressure.

The next oil change on my DMax, that is what it will get. They both sit outside.

You are too late by half a month.
Last Feb and March, Napa have a sale on Mobil Delvac ESP 5w-40 which is their commercial line of diesel oil.

I bought 1 in Feb and 1 in Mar for 1 oil change.
I am not sure if they still have it and how much but it is worth checking out Napa store.

You can also check Mobil Delvac Extreme at WM.
This is synthetic but 15w-40 viscosity.
It is available in the WM nearby my house.
Here is the link,

Last edited:
I might try reaching out to some of our other suppliers from my work and see if they can easily get and have decent prices. might just stock up on the stuff. a case or so every other week till I get a year or so supply going :D

already stocking up on diesel when we find it as a good price, might as well do it on oil too lol

You are very close proximity to 3 bigger cities in TX.
You may try visiting them when you are on an outing to the city?
LOL. An outing to a city? LOL

Sounds like something I would call an excruciating trip to Hell.

Have you tried Schaefer's or Amsoil?

Get a bypass filter and /or spin down & go with 20,000 mile oil changes.

Saved me a chunk of time over the years.

When I was working, I was never home. When I was home I was generally working on a 6.5.

It's hard for one to keep up with 4 drivers. Anymore, I can't even keep up with myself.

I've actually been looking for a bypass spin down filter to install, but can't seem to find one other than the ebay specials! are ther other recomended bypass filters that will helo extend oil life besides the centrifuge ones?

Back