• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Best overall diesel engine oil winter vs summer

On Real Americas Voice News channel on ROKU.
Just seen an advertisement from Advance Auto Parts.
It said, Right oil, right Filter Right Price, every day.
Now there is no A A P stores here in this town.
Would someone please, call them, tell them You seen this advertisement and tell them You want to know if they have Rotella T-6 in 5-40 weight.
Just curious if they actually have this in stock or if they are fulla 💩. 😹😹😹😹
They dropped off a sales flyer here at work last week showing mobil 1 diesel oil on sale, but when I looked on their site from work where we can see what they show in-store, they had none with no option to order other than to call. I call Bull 💩 on them...

I don't know why you guys have so many issues with AAP or O'Reilly's being out of stock on oil or brake cleaner or filters. I haven't seen that problem with either of those chains around here (we have 5 AAP/5 Carquests for 10 total and 6 O'Reilly's plus 5 Autozones and 3 NAPAs here in Lincoln). I guess it pays to live in civilization amongst civilized people than out in the boonies hinterlands in the middle of nowhere off the beaten path!😁

here in my area we have the hoarders and the media freaks lol one mention of the word shortage combined with the product. suddenly it can't be found on the shelves! this week has been cat food. went to the HEB supermarket yesterday and someone cleaned off most of the dry and canned cat food!!!

last week it was freon! Walmart was completely sold out of 134A cans !! our trip to the coast, I popped in their walmart and snagged me about 8 cans to bring home to a couple friends that needed some. down there, that store was fully stocked with everything you can think of, plus a complete different atmosphere. in my home town, if you walk into a Home Depot or walmart looking like you are searching for help. the workers scatter like cockroaches. these other towns like the ones at the coast (Rockport TX), the people are very friendly and will walk up to you asking about your day and if they can help!

here in my area we have the hoarders and the media freaks lol one mention of the word shortage combined with the product. suddenly it can't be found on the shelves! this week has been cat food. went to the HEB supermarket yesterday and someone cleaned off most of the dry and canned cat food!!!
Maybe they were stocking up for the kid's graduation party? Poor man's Chex Mix and tuna salad? You know, the Hamburger Helper scene from National Lampoon's Family Vacation, right?

Wow! I just realized just how few miles I put on my rig even though I drive it every day! I had done my oil change back on December 19th and looking at my mileage I just barley hit 3000k!! 3009 to be exact, and took me a whole 6 months. I think I have had to add oil maybe 4 times over that time frame at about 1/2 quart each time. not sure how good or bad that is since it doesn't seem to be leaking anywhere other than a little seepage here and there. the starter had a couple of little dribbles on bottom and the area behind the balancer is damp.

I wonder if I should just change the oil filter and run it the rest of the year or start thinking about changing it. the oil is black from soot.

Do oil samples. The 3,000 mile thing is a shot in the dark at best. Depending on type of oil, how hard you work it, how much blow by, etc. some folks should be doing it closer to 2,000 and others closer to 8,000.

get a catch can system like that provent200 (good up to 600 torque) and I bet you save a lot of the oil you are loosing. Most people should just add the can, loose the cdr. Then drain the thing out once a month and pour it back in.

to save money, get the ebay cko unit, but buy the real filter unit.

Last time I checked, an oil sample costs about as much as an oil change! I might as well suck it up and get the oil changed soon. I can always save the oil and once I can find and afford to get a small centrifuge, clean it and see how well if comes out. though I will probably be more inclined to invest into the TP roll filter, I think I saw some ebay kits for around $100.

since this engine has some blowby and high mileage, I better play it safe spending more on oil changes to preserve it's remaining life.

Back