• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A military rebuilt 6.5

Did you ever do a timeset TDCO or?
No, not yet. It does seem to still have the shake when it is cold with the extra ignition advance, so I'm not hopeful that messing with the timing will take care of it. I do still plan to do that though, yes.

Soooo......I just swapped the computer. I fired it up and it was still shaking though maybe not quite as bad. I almost swapped it right back but I figured I had to see the difference between the tunes. First, the new tune is definitely stronger! Second, the shake got better! It's still there a little but not NEARLY as bad. And I always kind of thought I had a small miss before but I thought it was the craptastic old engine. Could the hotter tune be stressing a "weak" injector?? I don't know if I call Heath to see what he thinks? Will he blame the injectors? Do I call Diesel Injection Service and they blame the tune? Any thoughts would be great. I do have the injectors that came out of the Optimizer still. Based on the condition of the engine I bet they're good still. Is the stuff coming from AMG any better? Should I see about returning these 1.33 year old marines and have my Optimizer injectors popped to like 2100 or 2200? This is annoying to have to deal with, but at least it looks like I've found a culprit and it doesn't mean pulling a valve cover.

I would hold off until you do a Time Set and TDCOffset. Do you have any timing codes?

My CEL isn't on but I haven't checked for codes. I'm checking with my brother about having the timing checked.

With no CEL it likely isn't a code.

Is the new cam known for a rough idle?

With no CEL it likely isn't a code.

Is the new cam known for a rough idle?
Well.....Joe Heath said it was known to have drivability issues but I think it was a ploy to buy their cam.

Either I have gotten more sensitive or it has gotten more pronounced but it's definitely shaking/missing off idle as well.

I'm no expert but I would guess cam and rockers would make some changes in how it sounds.

I'm no expert but I would guess cam and rockers would make some changes in how it sounds.
Yeah I get that and had an expectation that this could happen, but as time goes on this just doesn't feel right. And that's another thing, it can be felt more than it can be heard. This isn't anything like a gas engine with a hotter cam. I wish one of you guys with more experience lived close by so you could experience it.

If your brothers scan tool can shut down injectors, that would be a good place to start. The 2 or 3 you couldn't reach are the likely ones.:rolleyes:

Crack the nuts one at a time on the injectors if you think it one or two that are bad. Listen for a difference between cylinders as you do them.

If you don't notice anything that way, wait until you do the learn before anything else.

Crack the nuts one at a time on the injectors if you think it one or two that are bad. Listen for a difference between cylinders as you do them.

If you don't notice anything that way, wait until you do the learn before anything else.
Yeah I did that once, but only on the 6 I could get to. I think tonight I'll do it again to all 8 and try to really listen to see if I can tell if one is less affected than the others.

Consider either tracking down a scanner or purchasing the software to get injector flow balance. FERM did a great write-up on what to look for: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/proper-way-to-check-balance-rates.41579/

Do not recall the injector's history from this thread and, if they were not inspected, consider getting them rebuilt. I had a set of marine aftermarkets go bad in just 10K miles. I now have Bosch marines set to 2300 and they seem to work well with the ATT.

Consider either tracking down a scanner or purchasing the software to get injector flow balance. FERM did a great write-up on what to look for: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/proper-way-to-check-balance-rates.41579/

Do not recall the injector's history from this thread and, if they were not inspected, consider getting them rebuilt. I had a set of marine aftermarkets go bad in just 10K miles. I now have Bosch marines set to 2300 and they seem to work well with the ATT.
Thank you for that info Jay. I'll see if my brother can look at that while he has it hooked up to do the TDCO. I keep looking at that Car Code software, I'm just not sure if my old laptop is healthy enough to run it. That would be ideal to get long term.

They're marine injectors from Diesel Injection Service in Grand Rapids. They said they only use Bosch (or another brand, I can't remember which), but maybe they're the Indian Bosch nozzles that seem to not be so good. I bought them in December 2013 and then in February of this year I sent them back, had them test them and then set them to 2500psi pop pressure. That pressure was recommended to me by Buddy. DIS said they got them to go to 2500 without trouble, but maybe that is complicating things.

Where did you get your marine injectors?

Ones senses are more attuned when making major changes so a small miss on an old motor will often seem 'worse' with a new/different one...especially when one is expecting old issues to be solved by the change in power plants.

My truck ran a little 'odd' or rough during break in and for the first couple thousand after swapping engines. It smoothed up after getting the IP timing set. My injectors were balanced prior to installation.

If the old tune and new tune still have the miss, then you've got something else going on. Mine has always had an occasional 'skipped beat feel' regardless of motors, tunes, turbos, injectors, air cleaners, fuel, IPs, and FWIW I'm currently running Heath's HT-4 cam.

Cool, just did not recall the injector history. Given that the shop did not report any issues during the pop reset is a good sign to me.

Have read where 2500 is probably the upper limit for the DS4 and even at that pop level the IP might have a challenge at higher power requests. At this stage of the game though, not sure whether it is worth worrying about as long as they all look good from an injector balance perspective / test. Natrually, am sure the better experts will correct me.

Scuttlebutt on the India parts is they are actually good, just not as good as the German counterpart; but *way* better than Brand X. In any event, it is looking like the German parts are increasingly rare and the India counterparts are the way to go now. IIRC, Leroy is keen on a newly discovered manufacturer in Italy.

Got my marines from a local injector shop. The same one that sold me the aftermarkets 10K miles ago. And the same shop 10K miles later that then asked me where I bought the aftermarkets when they were sent-in for a simple reset of the pop to 2300, but were discovered as trashed . . . This time around I gave them the Bosch part numbers that I expected and am presuming that I got what I paid (and asked) for . . .

Back