• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A military rebuilt 6.5

Ok, here's a quick video I took when I got home this afternoon. I did a terrible job narrating it, ha. Basically what I was saying is that you can kind of see the engine shaking. It's about the same as it was with the other tune visually, but you could feel it a lot more with the other tune. Also at the exhaust, it has a little bit of a rhythmic thump, but it's about like a normal V8 sound. So I'm not sure if anyone will hear or see anything unusual or not, but here it is. Now you can all think I'm crazy, ha! :sour:

I'm wondering about the delete you had done for the AMM and if that may play a role in this. Your diesel sounds exactly like mine but mine has no jumping.

AIR MASS METER AKA: 'MAF' MASS AIR FLOW METER
Oh gotcha, I've only seen the acronym MAF before. When I spoke to Bill Heath he told me that my original tune should have also had MAF delete and sure enough I unplugged it and all was fine. I'm not sure it's a factor but that was a good thought.

Did you re use your lifters or go new? I'm having an issue with one of mine.

Oh gotcha, I've only seen the acronym MAF before. When I spoke to Bill Heath he told me that my original tune should have also had MAF delete and sure enough I unplugged it and all was fine. I'm not sure it's a factor but that was a good thought.
The acronym AMM is old and fallen from use these days.

When you hook it up to data logger you will see.

Last edited:
I suspect soot has something to do with lifter issues then broken c-clips anyone know if there is a better lifter out there like Rhodes or otherwise?

I suspect soot has something to do with lifter issues then broken c-clips anyone know if there is a better lifter out there like Rhodes or otherwise?
Buddy told me that he had some lifters custom made by Rhodes before, but they were the quick bleed-down design, so they wouldn't be right for everyone. I'm not sure if they could make standard lifters too or not.

Just got back from my brother's shop. Before TDCO Relearn the value was -2.02. After TDCO Relearn the value is now -1.14. It shakes less, but still does it. It's more like the old tune now. Checking the base IP advance, it's at around 3 degrees advanced. He didn't have any special wrenches for getting on the pump so we couldn't easily adjust it. He was able to show that the computer was able to compensate well enough that the actual could follow the desired.

His scanner (handheld Tech Scan) doesn't have an Injector Balance Report function. He shut down individual injectors and we found that 1 and 5 (especially 5) aren't doing nearly as much as the others. So I'm going to swap 3 and 5 and see if the problem follows the injector or not. I sure hope it does, an injector problem will be the easiest to take care of.

On the drive home, by my butt dyno it doesn't seem as peppy as before, so I think the TDCO change made a difference there, but it shakes less so for now I'm ok with that. Once I have the weak cylinders taken care of then I can work on optimizing things.

Here's a quick vid of the screen of the scanner. Here you can see the timing tracking while giving it a little throttle. At least now I have a direction to go, that helps a lot. I sure wish I had Car Code at home already so I could do some of this stuff myself.

Oh, and I can't believe my luck that the problem cylinders aren't on the turbo side!!

I'd put the TDCO back up to -1.94.

Bosch India suck, I posted pics of low mileage ones.

I'd say change out injectors with known good ones.

Also, make sure the exhaust isn't touching the body or frame, that the engine and transmission mounts are good and not broken or collasped.

I just did injectors in a 98 6.5, it was hard starting and had a rough idle, now its smooth as butter, way more power. Customer is happier than a pig in crap.

Ok I have some updates now. Friday night I swapped injectors on 3 and 5 and at first I thought the problem had followed the injector. But after slowing down and reviewing it was still weak on #5. Then I was even second-guessing that I had even switched the injectors at all and not accidentally put them back in the same holes! Sometimes I try yo get things done in an allotted time and it bites me in the end.

Last night we drove about 40 miles and it seemed fairly rough, even on the highway I could feel the miss.

So today I verified that #5 was the weaker cylinder still and it was. So I swapped injectors again. This time I put red paint on the #5 injector as soon as I took it out so I could keep track of it. I did the swap and #5 is still weaker. But it's a little smoother now. A little.

So it was time to check internal condition by doing a compression test. I did the driver side only since i didn't want to fight with the glow plugs on the passenger side and I knew my problem was mostly on the driver side. The results came out good, phew. They vary by as much as almost 10% but it still has less than 300 miles on it so I'm not worried.

So now I'm getting suspicious of the IP. Also note that the cylinder I know is weak is the one with the highest compression reading. So I'm going to give Diesel Injection Service a call in the morning and get some thoughts from them. Here are some thoughts I have though: 1) have the pop pressure on these marines dropped back to what they were before (presumably 2200) with the thought that it will not put as much stress on the IP and it will get me by for a while. 2) put the injectors that came with the Optimizer in as-is and see what it does. They're NA spec but if it runs smooth then I can figure what to do next. I would really like to watch the marines I have pop so I can see if they have a nice pattern or not. I assume they're Bosch India so that makes me suspicious of them a little as well.

Is it posible for certain bores in an IP to get weak? Can an IP be tested to see how it's functioning?

Any thoughts based on my testing? Thanks in advance. image.jpg

If you do the na injectors, they just don't give enough fuel to light up the turbo.

I would pull the line out and ensure it is clean.

Well, at least you know the engine is fine. My previous injectors before installing my Bosch Germany 311 rebuilts (2250 pop) were a set of brand new Bosch India NA spec injectors. It idled just a little rough, but once you were off idle the engine ran perfect, and even with NA spec, they always spooled my turbo with ease. I kept them, as they only have 10k miles on them, and I keep meaning to buy one of those cheap pop testers, as I would like to test them.
I am sorry your fighting Gremlins Nate, but hopefully you'll get it squared away soon. :)

Matt

Back