• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A military rebuilt 6.5

Finally tore down the 97 short block so I could figure out what to do with the leftovers. So far it actually looks crack-free!! And it is a squirter block with 12mm outer bolts. I'll know for sure when it sits overnight. When I had taken the pan off weeks ago I found some unusual shrapnel in the pan, well I found where that came from. Really weird.....it was one of the lifter retainers. I haven't found a smoking gun for my oil and coolant usage other than maybe with the coolant in the oil it thinned the oil enough that it was getting past the rings and getting burnt that way? I'll keep inspecting things this week and see what is good for sure so I don't save bad parts and throw away good parts. image.jpg

As boost goes does it start around 1k or? An intercooler (aka: CAC) will be good idea I'm not seeing a pressure drop through my IC/CAC but will be doing the dual gauge to measure it.

I found a fueling controller in the Car Code so I'm digging into it today to see exactly what it does, it's in the same drop down menu for the ABS tire to brake size calibration controller.

Be proud be very proud an awesome build indeed!

As boost goes does it start around 1k or? An intercooler (aka: CAC) will be good idea I'm not seeing a pressure drop through my IC/CAC but will be doing the dual gauge to measure it.

Thanks FT! I am proud. Hmmmm, I haven't really paid attention yet to the RPM that it comes in. The only thing I have observed so far is that the only time I seem to be lacking boost is if I give it a bit too much pedal taking off from a stop, otherwise I have what I need when I need it. When the converter clutch isn't locked up, it kind of acts like a stall converter with how the RPM stays up even after shifts...I think it's going to work really well.

I drove 100 miles yesterday taking my daughter to the zoo in Grand Rapids. I took all back roads except for 3 miles of 70mph highway. There were a lot of hills, turns and stop signs so it should have done well for engine break-in. I checked the oil level and it hasn't gone down since I refilled the first night so the rings are seating in pretty nicely already. So far I have 180 miles on it. It was fun on the 3 miles of highway - cruising at 65 I gave it a little throttle and she gained to 80 in no time :shame:. It is still shaking at idle and above idle I can hear it still so I'm wondering if I do have a miss, not sure. I cracked the lines on the 6 lines I could get to and it definitely started missing then, so it's not those 6 injectors anyway. Since the new tune is on a second computer I'm thinking about putting the old computer in with the standard max-e-torq tune so I can at least potentially rule out the tune.

I'm planning another road trip this weekend so hopefully I'll be to 500 miles soon. My break-in plan is to take it easy for the first 500 then change the oil. Then for the next 100 I'll drive it pretty normally. Once that is reached I'll change it again, then I'll put the boost controller on so I can start turning the boost up :woot:. We'll see how it goes. Other than the shake I'm very happy with the engine....and if I knew the shake was "normal" due to a mod then I'd be totally happy, but not knowing if it's ok or not it bothers me.

For the first 1,000 miles, consider loading the engine around 75% power (different from 75% throttle) as much as possible and also try to get it to coast with the TCC locked as much as possible immediately after a power application. The power / coast cycle should seat the rings well.

Also, consider changing the filter now and then oil and filter by 500 miles.

That shimmy at idle is a curiosity factor as mine did not not do that. Agree with the ECM swap to isolate whether it is logic or mechanical.

And by the way: CONGRATULATIONS! :D:D:D

For the first 1,000 miles, consider loading the engine around 75% power (different from 75% throttle) as much as possible and also try to get it to coast with the TCC locked as much as possible immediately after a power application. The power / coast cycle should seat the rings well.

Also, consider changing the filter now and then oil and filter by 500 miles.

That shimmy at idle is a curiosity factor as mine did not not do that. Agree with the ECM swap to isolate whether it is logic or mechanical.

And by the way: CONGRATULATIONS! :D:D:D
Thanks Jay!

I think that's a good idea regarding the filter. I will do that tonight, thanks for the suggestion. I liked the loading and unloading I was doing yesterday...I don't get to do that during normal driving so I need to make more drives like that for sure.

Oh I forgot to address your IC/CAC comment. I do hope to do a WTA IC at some point. I want to do that and some meth injection, but first I need to build some savings up. I want to make my own upper intake so I can plumb the intercooler as a straight shot between the turbo and the intake - I like the idea of having an intercooler and the shortest column of air possible between the turbo and the engine.

Back