• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Banks sidewinder exhaust manifold group buy.

Quick side track on the centrifuge bypass oil filter

That is really interesting. Do you have any plans to turn that on and off to see how much soot it captures on top of the soot reduction you should be seeing from the gapless rings? Based on War Wagon's accounts, it sounds like the gapless rings themselves give a serious reduction to soot levels in the oil. It would be interesting to see what additional benefits this would have.

Now a side inquiry regarding the CDR.... do I understand the function of the CDR correctly? Here's how I think about it: We want to put a vacuum on the crankcase to improve ring seal, but I think the real reason it was done was to improve emissions. We put the vacuum on the crankcase by utilizing the intake suction of the turbo. The role of the CDR is that it allows us to put a vacuum on the crankcase but not suck oil out of the engine, right?

The reason I ask this is I've been wondering about removing the CDR and instead attaching the engine end of suction hose to the "Y" branch of the oil fill tube that you have on the front of your engine there. I also have one of those so that is what gave me that idea. If the way I think of the CDR is correct, would there still be a chance of sucking oil out through that fill tube? If so, then there's no point removing or moving the CDR other than maybe giving some extra clearance above the valve cover....

Perhaps this is too off-topic for your thread and if so please disregard and I can start a new thread. I like this creative stuff you're adding to your engine and thanks for sharing with the rest of us! :happy:

The CDR system is strictly an emissions thing. The purpose of the CDR itself is to limit vacuum at high throttle/rpm. Otherwise it's open all the time

Blowby is vented from valve cover to CDR then to compressor intake which then pulls the blowby into intake flow. I had a leak one time between the CDR and intake and the engine seals started leaking oil profusely lucky I had found it right away before seals were damaged.

Last edited:
N/A CDR is vented back to crankcase via oil fill, turbo is plumbed into turbo compressor intake to pull on CDR however I don't know if it shuts off at WOT.
I had seen that, but forgot it was on N/A (not that it matter). Doesn't seem like CDR has any function in that case. A plug in the valve cover would do the same thing right?

I had seen that, but forgot it was on N/A (not that it matter). Doesn't seem like CDR has any function in that case. A plug in the valve cover would do the same thing right?
The some filler caps were vented so oil would flow back to crankcase and pressure would vent and others were vented to air filter canister if its closed it would unseat the oil dipstick up out of tube w/crankcase pressure seals would leak too.

Your saying run the CDR tube to the filler neck instead of the turbo inlet?

Other way around, I was thinking run the tube between the turbo inlet and the oil filler neck and leave the CDR out of the equation.

The CDR system is strictly an emissions thing. The purpose of the CDR itself is to limit vacuum at high throttle/rpm. Otherwise it's open all the time

That makes sense to me.

So if a CDR fails, that is why people start sucking oil into the intake...the vacuum stays too high and you start sucking oil out of the engine in addition to just vapor. So is the shape of the oil fill tube enough of an obstruction to the liquid oil that you would only suck vapor or would you suck oil through the fill tube too?

The some filler caps were vented so oil would flow back to crankcase and pressure would vent and others were vented to air filter canister if its closed it would unseat the oil dipstick up out of tube w/crankcase pressure seals would leak too.

And then if you're sucking from the oil fill tube, a simple valve cover breather could be installed in the valve cover then. Or maybe it's better to keep the crankcase sealed to actually create a vacuum in the crankcase instead of just drawing air through it?

I guess my thought was that it would be nice to have a simpler crankcase evac system by removing the CDR so it can't fail in the future yet still be able to draw a vacuum on the crankcase. I've seen some other thoughts on the subject but I didn't read anything definitive. The CDR seems a bit controversial. I hope I haven't derailed your thread too much.

Nate

I do know that with a stamped rocker the oil is getting thrown UP into the wire mesh in the cover thus lots of liquid there ....

With the roller rocker's the oil is exiting in a different place, not getting shot up into the mesh, so there isn't as much if any liquid up there to get sucked in ..... just my thoughts..

Back