• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Glowplugs...So I'm Screwed Aren't I?

Well, we got it out yesterday!!

Took just under 2 hours.

I used a Thread I found on another Truck Site googling to see what steps needed to be taken.

Tools needed:

Digital Caliper (So you can know how deep you can Drill before hitting the Electrode in the GP)
Drill
LEFT HAND 13/64" Drill Bit
1/4-20 Bottoming Hole Tap
LEFT HAND 11/32" Drill Bit
Pick Tool / Chisel / whatever you can find or use
Vacuum
Vacuum
Vacuum

Drill the Glow Plug Body Flush to the Head with the 11/32" Drill Bit

Drill the CENTER on the Glow Plug with the 13/64" Drill Bit

Tap the Center of the Glow Plug with the 1/4-20 Bottoming Tap (This is a safety precaution. If you can't get the GP out, you can Thread a Screw into it to then pull it out)

Now use the 11/32" Bit to start drilling out the GP Body completely. You need to be 100% Spot-On so you don't damage the Threads in the Head.

Once you get past the Threads, you should be able to pull the GP out. Before you do that get a Pick Tool to get out any remaining Thread Material that may be in the Threads in the Head.

We used a Thread Chaser just to make sure the Threads were still good in the Head, put the new GP in and everything is good.

But was it the regular red, or the GOOD 272? You don't want that thing ever coming out again do you?

I'm never changing a glow plug on this thing again!

One thread I found I was reading and a guy bought a truck, it threw a Glow Plug Code, he popped out the fender liner, and there was a GP, already broke off like mine, WITH A DRILL BIT STILL STUCK IN IT!! Apparently the previous owner got pissed off / fed up with trying to get it out, and just went and traded the truck in.

Wow! That is hilarious sold the truck! Glad you got I fixed. As far as not changing anymore, maybe you should just do the rest now while your in practice.:lmao:

Glad to see you got it James. Has to be a big relief. FWIW, I had 2 fail at 200k on the left bank and one at 260k on the right bank so the OEM units hold up a long time.

Glad to see you got it James. Has to be a big relief. FWIW, I had 2 fail at 200k on the left bank and one at 260k on the right bank so the OEM units hold up a long time.

I only have 39k on the truck. So I guess it's like a warranty, Time or Miles, whatever comes first!

Soak the shit out of it for several days and then try it

Sent from my SCH-I535

Change them all while you have everything apart. You'll be glad you did, in the winter. Refer to the other thread about the glow plug replacement. This New England weather and living on Long Island does not do you any favors either James. Glad to see that you got the other broken one out.

I'm still gonna only change them as they go out.

I really think I'd lose it if I had more than 1 snapped GP at a time.

I kinda had a feeling something was up too. It was above 85* and for how long the GP light stayed on, I knew something was "askew" haha.

Well, we got it out yesterday!!

Took just under 2 hours.

I used a Thread I found on another Truck Site googling to see what steps needed to be taken.

Tools needed:

Digital Caliper (So you can know how deep you can Drill before hitting the Electrode in the GP)
Drill
LEFT HAND 13/64" Drill Bit
1/4-20 Bottoming Hole Tap
LEFT HAND 11/32" Drill Bit
Pick Tool / Chisel / whatever you can find or use
Vacuum
Vacuum
Vacuum

Drill the Glow Plug Body Flush to the Head with the 11/32" Drill Bit

Drill the CENTER on the Glow Plug with the 13/64" Drill Bit

Tap the Center of the Glow Plug with the 1/4-20 Bottoming Tap (This is a safety precaution. If you can't get the GP out, you can Thread a Screw into it to then pull it out)

Now use the 11/32" Bit to start drilling out the GP Body completely. You need to be 100% Spot-On so you don't damage the Threads in the Head.

Once you get past the Threads, you should be able to pull the GP out. Before you do that get a Pick Tool to get out any remaining Thread Material that may be in the Threads in the Head.

We used a Thread Chaser just to make sure the Threads were still good in the Head, put the new GP in and everything is good.

I'm having trouble envisioning how this worked. If you used the 11/32" bit to drill out the glow plug body completely, won't the remnants of the glow plug drop into the engine?

I don't understand.

-Rob :)

Back