• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Glowplugs...So I'm Screwed Aren't I?

Here's an even simpler trick, find a nut of the size required to fit over the broken stud of the glow plug. Square up the stud as best as you can, grab the wire feed welder and weld the nut to the glow plug, between the heat of welding and the proper size 3/8 ratchet they come right out. We have used this on several truck and it works slick. Changed all 8 on our 01 in a hour and they all had snapped off. We reinstall ours with copper anti seize on the glow plug threads to make future changes easier.

Here's an even simpler trick, find a nut of the size required to fit over the broken stud of the glow plug. Square up the stud as best as you can, grab the wire feed welder and weld the nut to the glow plug, between the heat of welding and the proper size 3/8 ratchet they come right out. We have used this on several truck and it works slick. Changed all 8 on our 01 in a hour and they all had snapped off. We reinstall ours with copper anti seize on the glow plug threads to make future changes easier.

That didn't work for me. Glow Plug just kept breaking off lower and lower

well there is room to drill them out ,all 8 are done,it was kind of a high bill but my health stops me from doing these jobs after 28yrs of wrenching it kind of drives me crazy its really hard to find someone that will take pride in their work and do the best they can as they would do to there own vehicle good luck to all that broken glow plugs,i have read some horror stories on google where some people left the shop with bills between 4 and 5 thousand for plugs

well there is room to drill them out ,all 8 are done,it was kind of a high bill but my health stops me from doing these jobs after 28yrs of wrenching it kind of drives me crazy its really hard to find someone that will take pride in their work and do the best they can as they would do to there own vehicle good luck to all that broken glow plugs,i have read some horror stories on google where some people left the shop with bills between 4 and 5 thousand for plugs

Yea, those bills usually happen when you gotta pull the head and get the glow plugs milled out by a machine shop, or if the tip falls into the cylinder, but that's very uncommon.

Back