• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What's the best standing seam steel for my money? Near Gilman, Illinois I have done some hidden fa

jrsavoie

Recruit
Reaction score
What's the best standing seam steel for my money?

Near Gilman, Illinois

I have done some hidden fastener standing seam roofs years ago. I did some hook and roll, some that snapped together and one batten cap job - Never again on the batten caps.

I have not been around this type of work in a while.

I was told I needed sealant in the groove for below 3/12 pitch applications.

This was encountered years ago and we had to hand caulk every seam. I was told there are products out now with sealant installed in the groove at the factory.

Looking at a 2 part job. 1st part is just a porch roof - between 2 and 3/12 pitch. We can probably make it at least 3/12. About 20' wide. Sheets will be about 14' 4" long.

The 2nd part on the same house will be 12/12 roof. She wants something dark. I have not seen what she is looking at yet. Not that color has anything to do with product selection

IMG_1109.JPG This is the standing seam metal we used on my house that I'm building now. It has the sealant in the groove from the factory. I don't remember the brand but if you are interested I can find out. The high winds from the hurricane last week didn't bother it at all.

This is the standing seam metal we used on my house that I'm building now. It has the sealant in the groove from the factory. I don't remember the brand but if you are interested I can find out. The high winds from the hurricane last week didn't bother it at all.
I dont see any screws to fasten it to the roof. How is it held down ?

screws are in the piece underneath. top piece snaps over it. Or they use clips that are screwed down and then the metal snapped down, or the bottom piece is fastened down and then the top piece sets over it and is mechanically crimped via a roller type machine

Sorry @jrsavoie I forgot about checking on the metal roof for you. I'll talk to the man who got it for me and find out who the supplier is. Maybe There is one somewhere around your area.

I tried contacting a company that I got samples from several years ago that had 24 gauge standing seam.

It seemed like some real quality stuff. Unfortunately they are out of business.

I also worked on a job where we installed 1 1/2" thick insulated panels. Is there anything available in that type of product?

We previously - years ago did some 24 gauge standing seam with 2 x 4 runners to screw to and 1 1/2" insulation between the runners/purlins.

I was told with the new 26 gauge, your surface has to be very flat or it will print any imperfections through the steel.

The 1 1/2" insulation really helped quiet the steel down.

The last time I was looking around I think I remember seeing 50 year warranty with Kynar paint. Everything I have been seeing has been 20 to 35 year warranty.

We have been looking at products similar to this. I thought I saw something in 24 gauge, but have to go back and check. These have the flange as part of the sheet.

I haven't seen a spec for fastener spacing on the built in screw flanges. Does anybody know?

I am sure it varies by gauge. They never had sheets with the screw flange incorporated into the sheet the last time I was doing any standing seam work. Everything I saw back then was clips. Sometimes the clips were on 2' centers.

I just do not have any idea what is available these days. I am struggling to find out information.

I do not know anybody doing this type of work anymore.

This is available in 29 and 26 gauge. But is similar to what we are looking to use

http://www.abcmetalroofing.com/Residential/SL-16-/

I just got a message from a guy I worked with years ago and he recommended a local contractor that has the machine that makes the panels like gutters. I will be getting in touch with them

I haven't been able to reach the guy that I got my metal from but it's 24 gauge and yes it's used for commercial stuff mostly but that's what I wanted to use. The roof does have to be pretty even across to use the 26 gauge or thinner because it will show a lot of imperfections if your not careful.

Most of the screw down residential around here is 29 g . I got to where I put the screw rows on 3' centers. I put them right where the tarpaper over lap is. If you ended up with a row of screws just below the overlap it would transfer through.

Most of the screw down residential around here is 29 g . I got to where I put the screw rows on 3' centers. I put them right where the tarpaper over lap is. If you ended up with a row of screws just below the overlap it would transfer through.

I remember when they came out with 26 ga and I thought it felt like paper. Then they came out with 29 ga and I thought it felt like tissue paper

How does that hold up to hail? I would think that would dent up really bad. Also doesn't the thinner stuff amplify the rain sound worse? I like the sound in a rainstorm here, but anywhere there is real rainstorms that last more than 30 minutes I would think could get old quick.

My house I bought now was built in the 50's, and had one of those aluminum patio covers installed over the back door and patio area. From the hail here over all the years, it looks like every bbgun ever built used it as target practice from above.

I know mine is aluminum, but to me a metal roof of anykind should be a forever perfect thing.

even the 24 or 26 gauge is going to dent from hail. the 29 is hardened more than the thicker stuff about the only real difference would be how far you could free span or how long to rust thru

So... 1/4 AR plate then? Haha. Anyone ever rhino line it for the long term? Wow that would be some $, but eliminates denting, and super rust protective right?

I bet I sound like my kids at 7 years old to you guys on this kinda stuff huh? I just picture Les reading my thought on this:
:facepalm: :meh:

How does that hold up to hail? I would think that would dent up really bad. Also doesn't the thinner stuff amplify the rain sound worse? I like the sound in a rainstorm here, but anywhere there is real rainstorms that last more than 30 minutes I would think could get old quick.

My house I bought now was built in the 50's, and had one of those aluminum patio covers installed over the back door and patio area. From the hail here over all the years, it looks like every bbgun ever built used it as target practice from above.

I know mine is aluminum, but to me a metal roof of any kind should be a forever perfect thing.

At my old place I had an aluminum style cover over my back porch. One hail storm beat the panels all to heck. Insurance paid for replacement plus the replacement of my shingles. Since then I had another small hail storm it put some pretty good dents in the same back porch roof panels. I let it ride never filed a claim or worried about it. I have moved since then.

Move forward to my new house I went with a very good grade of shingle but was worried about the high winds blowing the shingles off since I am on a high ridge top. So far the shingles have held up but I had to go with a different ridge vent because in the winter fine snow was blowing in. So far the new ridge vent has held up. Trust me the wind whips through here, I had 4 outdoor ceiling fans installed across the front porch. In November 2015 the wind blowed so hard, it turned one ceiling fan up and the blades tore the vinyl ceiling all the H$ll. Contractor took the blades off of all ceiling fans since I was out of town hunting. The fans swivel on the base I suppose to keep them in balance. I have thought about putting a set screw in the base to keep them from moving. I still have those fans minus the blades mounted. If anyone has any ideas about a solution or a fixed mount outdoor fan let me know.

Back to the metal roofing, my parents have it on their house, so far I have not noticed any hail damage on it. Not sure what gauge it is? I noticed some metal roofs over time fade.

Back