• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What oil do you run?

I ran Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15/40 for the first 40,000 with an Ac filter. Changed it every 5,000 miles and had a UOA performed. The information returned was always very very good. At 40,000 I changed to Schaeffer's Supreme 9000 Oil 5W/40 I plan on doing a UOA at 5,000 just to see whats going on with the new oil. I also plan on dumping it at 10,000 with another UOA. I'm more than sure I can go many more miles with this oil but switching oils was not done to have longer changing intervals.

so far rotella T with mobil1 oil filter.

Not enough miles on her to do the diff's, transfer case, or switch to synthetic yet

I use Rotella synthetic 5W40. I started back when I had the 6.5. When it was cold the engine was way way quieter and would start without plugging in all winter. With the regular oil it didn't want to start under 10°. After seeing that I never switched back.
It is the only thing I have ever used on the Duramax.

Im changing my oil monday. I believe im going with Rotella Syn 15-40 this time.
I believe syn Rotella is only available in 5w40

Im ridiculous. I change my rotella at 2500.
Money to burn?:D

Rotella T dino 15w40 since day 1 both trucks. 700 mi/week and 95% highway so I change at 7500. DIC says I should change at about 11,000. I can't see that!

I ran Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15/40 for the first 40,000 with an Ac filter. Changed it every 5,000 miles and had a UOA performed. The information returned was always very very good. At 40,000 I changed to Schaeffer's Supreme 9000 Oil 5W/40 I plan on doing a UOA at 5,000 just to see whats going on with the new oil. I also plan on dumping it at 10,000 with another UOA. I'm more than sure I can go many more miles with this oil but switching oils was not done to have longer changing intervals.

What made you switch then Bill>???

What made you switch then Bill>???

The hope is that the UOA's will look even better than they did with the dino. Plus the general talk about synthetics being better at reducing engine wear etc. Did hours and hours of reading on the other side before the switch. Not only was it hard to switch but then it was what to switch to. When I get back my 5,000 UOA I will post the results.

I would be suprised if anyone has heard of it, but I use Brad Penn oil. They are out of Pennsylvania. I can get a 5 gal. bucket for $41 delivered. I have had great luck with their 2-stroke oil in my sled and also their 15/40 in my truck.

Years ago I use to run Wolfs Head and Amalie Motor oil but I believe they closed their Bradford, Pa refineries and were bought out by outfits in Texas, its a shame because being from Pennsylvania there was a time when the oil made there was some of the best you could buy.

I've been running the Rotella Synthetic and the Mobil 1 filter and changing according to the DIC. Usually about 10,000 miles. Never done an analysis yet. Probably should though. Going to be over 100,000 miles tomorrow. Usually drive about 3500 miles a month and mostly highway with occasional light towing. Ron

Rotella synthetic, Amsoil synthetic, Royal Purple synthetic
Have a lot of diesels around here:D
Currently I am running Amsoil in my truck, but I am going to change it soon and I am going to put Royal Purple in it. Have been running it in my gassers for years and have had good performance out of it(better mileage and use less oil) my work car has over 330,000 on it(93 Cadillac with 5.7(350) rwd) made the mistake of putting Wal-mart brand synthetic in it once(because I kept hearing they are all the same) well they are not...... it used all kinds of oil with it in there and I got worse mileage, also just before I changed it a rod started knocking...... well I put the Purple back in it and a few miles later the knock was gone and then my mileage went back up, been running strong ever since. :D Just my personal experience.

Also, I forgot to add I run 5w-30 in that car and uses maybe a quart in 10000 or so miles. :D

Been using Amsoil 15-40 for three years, now going to Amsoil 5-30HDD this go. Will install the dual remote by-pass when its time for the next change.

Tony

Back