• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What is a good WIFI router?

Jeff,

Is this still a best bet?

anything better out there...we just switched from DSL (6Mbs) to Charter Cable (60Mbs)

need something good for my son playing titan fall over the xbox and for streaming 4k UHD for the Living room TV

Cable wants $6 mo. for leasing their mediocre net gear router and thought I'd try to do better...

Don't know about the Apple product James mentioned, but we only have an ipod and iphone in the household...never liked Apple b/c of their closed software on their devices...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
At the time yes, I would presume it's still up there highly rated. With the HQ stuff you're wanting to do I wouldn't really cheap out. And yes, the cable company routers are terrible.. I wouldn't mess with those.

on a 60Mbs connection would that model really make that much of a difference?

The tech installing said we should have fiber to the house available to us in about a year, don't know what the cost would be on that but if too high when that time comes, may never need the better features...

We have antenna service for the computer - $50 a month. It's hardly been worth paying for the last year or more. A lot of times when I can not get on. Usually when I want to look something up. And super slow - frequently.

We can not get cable or anything else.

Is there a way to run our desktop off of a cell phone or hot spot thing - not even sure what that is. Right now we are paying a total of about $160 a month for 3 flip phones and our antenna service. Can't afford much more total.

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the better one...also grabbed the square trade warranty for $7, since ATT was replacing my router/modem about every year or so...

Dual-band Wireless-AC1900 Gigabit Router
  • The world's fastest Wi-Fi router, with combined dual-band data rates of
    1900 Mbps for three times faster performance than 802.11n routers
  • Broadcom® TurboQAM™ technology increases wireless-N data rate to
    600 Mbps for 33% faster performance
  • Five Gigabit Ethernet ports for fast, stable wired network connections
  • Dual USB ports with USB 3.0 for ten times faster data transfer than USB 2.0
  • Dual-core processor for fast and responsive performance with Wi-Fi, Ethernet and USB devices
  • ASUS AiCloud cloud service to access, sync, share, and stream your data wherever you are, even connect to other compatible routers creating a private cloud server with family and friends

51VrYESKRzL._SL1000_.jpg

World’s Fastest – For Those Who Run Ahead

The ASUS RT-AC68U is the world's fastest Wi-Fi router, with combined dual-band data rates of up to 1900 Mbps. 1300 Mbps 802.11ac at 5 GHz gives Gigabit wireless data rates, while Broadcom® TurboQAM™ technology super-charges 2.4 GHz 802.11n performance from 450 Mbps to 600 Mbps with compatible devices.

Powered by a dual-core processor, the RT-AC68U eliminates the performance drops that plague other routers with busy networks. So even on the busiest home networks, HD video streaming is always smooth, the latency low for online gaming and VoIP calls, and file downloads are never interrupted.

The RT-AC68U also features dual USB ports for file, printers and 3G/4G modems sharing and a USB 3.0 port for up to ten times faster data transfers than USB 2.0.
ExclusiveASUS AiCloud transforms your home networking into your personal cloud for easy streaming and sharing to smartphones, PCs, and tablets. Router-to-Router sync also makes it simple to sync files on USB-connected storage with other compatible ASUS routers for hassle-free sharing of large files with family and friends.

The easy-to-use ASUSWRT graphical user interface unlocks the power of the RT-AC68U giving robust control to optimize your network for you. 30-second set-up and easy traffic management means even network newbies can enjoy its sophisticated features, while power users will love its IPv6 support, multiple wireless SSIDs and secure VPN access.

NVIDIA GameStream Ready
Your router is about to have a lot more fun. That’s because it can now stream all your favorite PC games to the NVIDIA® SHIELD™ portable to play anywhere in the house using fast, ultra-reliable NVIDIA GameStream™ technology. ASUS routers deliver lag-free, high-performance game streaming from GeForce® GTX™=powered PCs or NVIDIA GRID™ cloud gaming systems.

World’s fastest AC Wi-Fi with TurboQAM™ Wi-Fi acceleration
Powered by 5th generation Wi-Fi (5G Wi-Fi), the new 802.11ac chipset gives the RT-AC68U superfast Gigabit wireless speeds. What's more, RT-AC68U uses TurboQAM™ technology to upgrade 802.11ac Wi-Fi even further to give you unprecedented speeds. At 2.4 GHz, it's 33% faster than standard 802.11ac routers, reaching 600 Mbps, while on the 5 GHz band it blazes to 1300 Mbps - or triple 802.11n rates. That's 1900 Mbps of concurrent wireless power!

5G_1_2.jpg

Do more at once with dual-core processors inside
The ASUS RT-AC68U features a dual-core processor that eliminates the performance drops that plague other routers. So even on the busiest home networks, HD video streaming is always smooth, the latency low for online gaming and VoIP calls, and file downloads are never interrupted.

performance.jpg

I know what all the wifi specs mean...but what does this mean for my wife's desktop that has USB 3.0 ports?
Will that be even faster than an ethernet cable plugged in direct to the router?

also

Internet is installed now...getting 67Mbps down, but only 4.7 up...I figured cable upload would be faster, but that is still almost as fast as my DL speeds were on DSL

We have antenna service for the computer - $50 a month. It's hardly been worth paying for the last year or more. A lot of times when I can not get on. Usually when I want to look something up. And super slow - frequently.

We can not get cable or anything else.

Is there a way to run our desktop off of a cell phone or hot spot thing - not even sure what that is. Right now we are paying a total of about $160 a month for 3 flip phones and our antenna service. Can't afford much more total.

can you have your internet provider give you your data usage for each month the last 12 months?

that way you can figure out a way to compare what data plan for smart phones would be needed to make sure you don't go over on your data plan...of course, once you are able to get on the net easier and faster you may find yourself using more data.

We have 3 smart phones and 1 flip phone on a 10Gb plan for only $160mo...waiting for Att to have their double your data promotion to step up to the 30GB plan for the price of the 15GB will bring us up to $180

of course you could add another $100 and get this one...@ $289 ? too rich for my blood

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S9SGNNS/?tag=jhuntlink-20

ASUS RT-AC3200 Tri-Band Wireless Gigabit Router
  • Ultra-fast 802.11ac Wi-Fi router with a combined tri-band data rate of 3200Mbit/s for smooth up to 4K/UHD video playback, ultra-fast file-sharing for large files and low-latency online gaming.
  • Tri-Band Smart Connect automatically selects the fastest of the three available frequency bands for each device, based on the device’s speed, signal strength and how busy each band is.
  • Built-in USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports for up to 10-times faster data transfers to USB storage devices1, printer sharing, and 3G/4G dongle support.
  • ASUSWRT graphical user interface for easy, CD-free 30-second setup and hassle-free advanced network control.
  • AiProtection with Trend Micro with triple-strength total network security, plus robust parental controls and privacy protection.
  • ASUS AiCloud 2.0 lets you access, sync, share and stream your files anywhere, on any internet-connected device.
P_setting_000_1_90_end_500.png

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For fiber Paul, that one would be a better choice. Nashville is getting Google Fiber this year!

For fiber Paul, that one would be a better choice. Nashville is getting Google Fiber this year!
Thanks for the help Jeff...

Amazon prime delivered the ASUS RT-AC68U today for $3.99 more and it has been hooked up and blazing for a few hours now...

I guess I could always upgrade later when/if the time comes...the Tech may not know what he's talking about(speculation) and it may not come for another 5 years for all I know.

wireless on my laptop on the 2.4ghz I'm getting 41Mbps ...I'm saving the 5ghz band for the 4k TV, Sons Xbox and My Dish receiver(streams video via wifi)

My wifes Desktop gets a hair under 67Mbps

Things are so much faster...I should have told ATT and their pressure through attrition/poor service tactic to get me to switch to u-verse to go F themselves a long time ago.

Bringing this one back up as my NETGEAR replacement that somebody gave me keeps dropping out now about 2-3 times a day. I'm currently looking at the ASUS RT-AC66U, and the TP-LINK AC1900(ARCHER C9). I don't need blazing fast speeds, but I do need something that can handle up to 75MB speeds(thinking of upping our speed so we can stream multiple videos at once, 40MB does one just fine, but if were streaming on TV, you can't really watch videos online at the same time), as well as stay connected. Most of our stuff runs on 2.4GHz, but the APPLE stuff can run on 5GHz. Or if theres one I'm overlooking, let me know as I'm pulling the trigger this week on one.

can you have your internet provider give you your data usage for each month the last 12 months?

that way you can figure out a way to compare what data plan for smart phones would be needed to make sure you don't go over on your data plan...of course, once you are able to get on the net easier and faster you may find yourself using more data.

We have 3 smart phones and 1 flip phone on a 10Gb plan for only $160mo...waiting for Att to have their double your data promotion to step up to the 30GB plan for the price of the 15GB will bring us up to $180

We are on a bounce tower so I do not think that is possible. My daughter put her phone on her own plan so now we only have 2 phones for about $80 a month. Internet service is still $50 for the antenna service.

It really annoys me that they ran fiber 1/4 mile down our ditch to provide internet service to a town 12 miles away and we can't tap into it for less than $1200 tap fee.

They said they bought rights from the township road commissioner. Something sounds all together wrong about the whole deal.

I was happey when they said they were running fiber for internet. Not so much when I was told I couldn't hook up

Bringing this one back up as my NETGEAR replacement that somebody gave me keeps dropping out now about 2-3 times a day. I'm currently looking at the ASUS RT-AC66U, and the TP-LINK AC1900(ARCHER C9). I don't need blazing fast speeds, but I do need something that can handle up to 75MB speeds(thinking of upping our speed so we can stream multiple videos at once, 40MB does one just fine, but if were streaming on TV, you can't really watch videos online at the same time), as well as stay connected. Most of our stuff runs on 2.4GHz, but the APPLE stuff can run on 5GHz. Or if theres one I'm overlooking, let me know as I'm pulling the trigger this week on one.

Ferm, I'm still a fan of the Airport Extreme, but we use the Archer C7's at work (IT managed services) whenever a customer needs a router with minimal firewall abilities. They seem rock solid so far, so I would say the C9 would be a good investment. I have no experience with the ASUS.

Ended up buying the tp-link ac-1900, should be here Sunday. Hope it works as good as the reviews on it say it does.

I just updated to the Verizon quantum dual band 800 mbps router. I haven't personally noticed any blazingly fast speeds, but it is a nice router.

Last edited:
So if I can tack on questions..

My wireless router/ booster sucked from day 1 & is starting to give fits also.

Our house kills signal bad by layout & materials. Installer guy commented how bad our house is compared to normal ones. What's best one for that.

I currently have a securifi repeater and a linksys 2500 router (linksys is dying)

2 kids playing games, wife e-shopping, and me here bugging you all.

Cox cable. There is a box that the cable goes into, and Ethernet cable connects from there to wireless router. While having problems with it last week the did a test a said the router is the issue. I don't know jack squat about this stuff btw.

Back