• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What do you guys think about Water/Methanol kits?

bowtiebutler956

Reaction score
I'll be installing hotter DB2 IP in my truck soon, and was thinking about the use of a WMI kit to keep my EGT's in check, if that becomes a problem. It would primarily be used with just water for cooling, but it might be nice to try a little Meth every once in awhile.
whistling.gif
What do you guys think, and for those of you that have run some Methanol in your mix, how much, 10%, 20%?
I found a listing on ebay for a Devils Own stage 1 kit with 3, and 7 gallon nozzles included for a pretty reasonable price. Here is the listing. Devils Own Universal Stage 1 Water Meth or Alcohol Injection Kit SQ2 5002 | eBay

I just thought I'd see if I could gather some info, as I have no experience with these, and I know some of you do.
thumb.gif

Matt

I do not have one yet, but have only seen them on ds4 controlled trucks. I keep wondering about it on a db2- I want it only for cooling, no meth. I definitely liked what I saw on the 2 trucks I saw it on

Yep, I'm a moron. I totally forgot his is on that 4911.

I need to learn more about the control on these kits.

This is not meant to beat up on any commercially available WMI units!

IMHO, The best documented results by RSR racing I've seen is high pressure 1k psi water/fogger injection minus boost pressure and drop from volume of water used per application.

Water injection goes back to early aviation then on to big diesel applications it however can be used externally to cool down a CAC/IC and even fog occupants in open vehicle off the beaten path.

1k 12v pumps can be had for $200 to $300 and rests of parts like hobbs valve and barn/stable fogger nozzles are reasonably priced too then when properly adjusted use very little water as compared to most WMI setups.

I have no personal experience but read heath's article and a few threads on it. Seems like a good way to go. Keep us posted on what you' re doing or considering. Another informative thread is always welcome.

I do not have one yet, but have only seen them on ds4 controlled trucks. I keep wondering about it on a db2- I want it only for cooling, no meth. I definitely liked what I saw on the 2 trucks I saw it on
I've read threw 6.5L's WMI threads, and there is some good info. Great White posted some very informative stuff in them. It will primarily run water for help with EGT's. but on occasion, I would like to try some Methanol.

Check out "6.5l" threads, he installed wmi on hi db2 6.5
That was some good reading!
This is not meant to beat up on any commercially available WMI units!

IMHO, The best documented results by RSR racing I've seen is high pressure 1k psi water/fogger injection minus boost pressure and drop from volume of water used per application.

Water injection goes back to early aviation then on to big diesel applications it however can be used externally to cool down a CAC/IC and even fog occupants in open vehicle off the beaten path.

1k 12v pumps can be had for $200 to $300 and rests of parts like hobbs valve and barn/stable fogger nozzles are reasonably priced too then when properly adjusted use very little water as compared to most WMI setups.
Like most things I do, this kit will have to fit into a pretty tight budget, and spending 2-300 on just the pump wouldn't work for me at the moment. However, that is interesting, and I will do some more reading on it. What type of WMI are you running? Does it work well?
I have no personal experience but read heath's article and a few threads on it. Seems like a good way to go. Keep us posted on what you' re doing or considering. Another informative thread is always welcome.
Thanks, and I will keep this thread updated. Currently, I plan on purchasing the $240 Devils own kit, and I think I would like to have both a 10, and a 5 gallon tank in the truck. The 10 would be for water, and the 5 would have a water/meth mix. Both tanks would have shut offs, so I could just turn one, or the other on. Thanks

Matt

Improvement lies within the much higher psi delivering very fine sized fog so generally less water or mix is needed.

Whatever kit you buy you need to minus the boost levels you run from the WMI pump psi output then minus the volume of water or mixture the WMI must deliver times number of nozzles.

One thing I have always been a bit worried about is freezing water on a cold night in transition fall or spring. I googled and read on the engineering toolbox site that methanol will lower freeze point of water.

10% by mass = 13% by volume will lower freeze point to 20F. That's good enough for me about 98% percent of time.

Windshield washer heaters work well, if using a bypass WMI pump then a heat exchanger plumbed into cooling system will work to prevent freezing and eliminate the need for additional consumables over water!

Improvement lies within the much higher psi delivering very fine sized fog so generally less water or mix is needed.

Whatever kit you buy you need to minus the boost levels you run from the WMI pump psi output then minus the volume of water or mixture the WMI must deliver times number of nozzles.
The kit I'm looking at comes with a 250 psi pump, along with a 3, and a 7 gph nozzle, which get their ratings at 100 psi pump pressure. Currently seeing a max of 20 psi boost. So 250 minus 20 is 230. 230 minus 3, and 7 is 220. Is this what your talking about, or am I way off. Thanks

One thing I have always been a bit worried about is freezing water on a cold night in transition fall or spring. I googled and read on the engineering toolbox site that methanol will lower freeze point of water.

10% by mass = 13% by volume will lower freeze point to 20F. That's good enough for me about 98% percent of time.
Fortunately for me, most of our winter, we never get a day below freezing. Coldest day this year so far was 46. It was in the 80's today. However that would certainly be a concern further north.

Matt

The main function of the methanol is to keep the water from freezing. There are more benefits to using water injection than just lower egts. Works similar to nitrous. Cools the charge while also putting more oxygen into the cylinder when it evaporates. I don't really think the methanol adds much power, its main purpose is to be used as an antifreeze. It is a high octane and requires more heat to ignite so it is a good antifreeze in a high compression engine without causing detonation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found a nice write up on here to build your own meth injection kit cheaper than what you can buy them for. I was thinking about building one for keeping egts cooler cooler egts = longer engine life.

Just to add. I'm a dealer for Snow perf. I just bought this http://www.snowperformance.net/diesel-mpg-max.html for the shop truck. If you guys see anything they offer let me know and I'll get a price (lower than what they list)
http://www.snowperformance.net/product_images/product_variation-installation_pdf-91.pdf

I have not installed it yet, waiting to finish the P400 then will play with this and a little propane :eek:
On a 6.5? I would love to hear how the propane is.

Just to add. I'm a dealer for Snow perf. I just bought this http://www.snowperformance.net/diesel-mpg-max.html for the shop truck. If you guys see anything they offer let me know and I'll get a price (lower than what they list)
http://www.snowperformance.net/product_images/product_variation-installation_pdf-91.pdf

I have not installed it yet, waiting to finish the P400 then will play with this and a little propane :eek:

Nice to know! You may be hearing from me soon on one of these. Should have known that if it can be installed on a 6.5, you can get it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like WMI. One thing to keep in mind is it adds maintenance. Definitely not picking, just saying.

In terms of keeping the fluid from freezing, one of the mechanics at my local shop runs 100% windshield washer fluid during the winter, beats on his 6.5 hard, and it is still ticking. Again, just saying.

Back