• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Removed the oil cooler and lines back to the block. Removed old 90* fitting from the feed or push side. 10-AN threads were corroded but not as bad as the 45* swivel ones on the front. At least the front ones were clean where they seated against the lines.
IMG_8556.jpeg
Seperating the lines from the connection with all that corrosion was a PIA. But, got it done.

Return side connector’s threads are clean so I left that in place for re-use.
For my own education, I learned the feed / output side comes up from the pump, makes a 90* turn for 6.5” before exiting the block. What it ‘up the down staircase’ looks like…kinda.
IMG_8559.jpeg
IMG_8561.jpeg
No, the truck didn’t jump when I checked the output depth with the Phillips.

Now to find a new crush washer for the 4x4 adapter. GM no longer stocks them. You can get the O Ring but, at stealership prices. The parts guy did send me the print outs and suggested, as I already considered, cross referencing at NAPA. I’ll just take the ”Bolt” with me to be certain.

A friend stopped over, several years ago. He had this nissan pickup thing, he kept bragging on about his nissan that he bought out of auction then had to dump a bunch of money into to get it right.
After a while he kind of run down, thats when I stuffed the fork in.
Me: what kind of fuel mileage You get with that truck ?
Gary: puffs up peacock proud, I get 15 MPG at 75 MPH.
My 93 K1500 setting in the shop and we was setting next to it.
Me: wow, what in the world are You humping around in that tin can for, pointing at the K1500, that thing there does better than that on a bad day. Any day it will get a solid 17 at 75MPH and some days even better than that.
Gary: No way.
Me: yes it does.
He didnt stick around for very long after that.
About two or three days later he comes over driving a brand new Chevy K1500. I think that was about 2017 or so. 😹😹😹😹

Reminds me of the times when my brother in law and I headed off to Deer camp. He'd drive his Toyota Tacoma, I'd drive my 2006, Chevy 2500HD. My truck was full in the cab and in the bed, since I was staying a good while. We would arrive at camp and at some point I would ask him what kind of fuel mileage he got on the way up there. He said about 19 mpg was it. I said well I got about 19.8 MPG running about 70 mph most of the way. His truck was probably 4500 pounds or less, mine was probably weighing 8000 pounds or more. The kicker was of course was he was paying less per gallon for fuel. Me, I was riding in comfort, in a large vehicle with plenty of metal around me, I will take that any day. I never could stand riding in a Toyota Tacoma, I felt like my knees were in my chest.

Reminds me of the times when my brother in law and I headed off to Deer camp. He'd drive his Toyota Tacoma, I'd drive my 2006, Chevy 2500HD. My truck was full in the cab and in the bed, since I was staying a good while. We would arrive at camp and at some point I would ask him what kind of fuel mileage he got on the way up there. He said about 19 mpg was it. I said well I got about 19.8 MPG running about 70 mph most of the way. His truck was probably 4500 pounds or less, mine was probably weighing 8000 pounds or more. The kicker was of course was he was paying less per gallon for fuel. Me, I was riding in comfort, in a large vehicle with plenty of metal around me, I will take that any day. I never could stand riding in a Toyota Tacoma, I felt like my knees were in my chest.
That said, the Toyota 4Runner is a perfectly sized SUV for my wife. Much easier in and out of parking spots. Capable off road and she camps in it. Also, extremely reliable. Whereas a high mileage diesel rig will nickel and dime you to death.

That said, the Toyota 4Runner is a perfectly sized SUV for my wife. Much easier in and out of parking spots. Capable off road and she camps in it. Also, extremely reliable. Whereas a high mileage diesel rig will nickel and dime you to death.

Good deal, not a thing wrong with the 4Runner, I'd drive one, wife's brother has an older one with lots of miles on it. He has got great service out of it with very few problems that I know of. Its the Tacoma seating position that I despise and I have ridden in more than a few of them. Of course since I am over 6 foot tall, then maybe its not for me. I have no trouble driving or riding in my beater 2002 S-10, those seats fit me ok.

Yeah, we own an 01 tacoma 4 door and 07 fj cruiser. Same engine, but the ride, crowded vs plenty of front seat room, how they feel on & off road- just completely different rigs. Buddy that has a 4 runner from same era- feels similar to fj, except heavier / less nimble than the fj. 6’ tall seems to be the peak height for drivers comfort. I think tacoma is more like 5’10” because it is a bit cramped for me.

They are real reliable- but the moment you have to deal with the catalytic converters if required in your area- they become not so affordable. Their fuel tanks have issues with roll over valves cracking- my 01 has that currently so gotta drop the tank and swap that.
Definitely better than most vehicles on the road.

Wrenching of these makes me miss wrenching on gmt400. Teeyota is easier to do oil changes, filter is up top in good spot and auto drains. Gmt400, definitely invest in filter relocation kit imo. Interior build quality is the same. Hvac is about the same. Tacoma gets a dash rattle about like gmt400.

Know whats not as fun as either one? 2001 dodge ram 1500 with 5.9 gasser. My 23 year old son basically abandoned his in my backyard. His job required tons of city driving so he got a toyota Camry. The fuel savings was huge, so better for him. Now the bil needs to drive it for a while, probably gonna buy it off my son. But he can’t do anything with a wrench. So I get to dial it back in as reliable for him to use. New battery, drain 14 gallons of garbage gas, add in 5 new plus bottle of fuel fixing juice to unsludge whatever might be in there. Fired right up, great oil pressure. Needs a dash because it’s a dodge- but that is bil problem to pay for. I wouldn’t do it for my son, sure wont for him. I HATE interior work.

Gotta throw in left tail light- got stamped parked out on the street a year ago. Funny thing is same one was hit when my son bought it. Then a motorcycle rearended my son there when he was driving. So left tail light in this truck is apparently cursed! Haha. They mount exactly like a gmt 400. Just look uglier than the gm.
Actually an ok truck for a put-put truck. Just under 170k miles and no rust anywhere. Just dinged up bed and fading paint as all desert cars get that don’t oive in a garage. Will be worth the effort just to get it out of my yard.
bil can then sell his Buick century 1978 iirc. Not horrible- just not parts in stock everywhere. They are desirable cars by the young to 30 hear old hip hop crowd. Jack it up and put 25” rims on. SMH. So long as they do it safe and I don’t have to work on them. Haha

Good deal, not a thing wrong with the 4Runner, I'd drive one, wife's brother has an older one with lots of miles on it. He has got great service out of it with very few problems that I know of. Its the Tacoma seating position that I despise and I have ridden in more than a few of them. Of course since I am over 6 foot tall, then maybe its not for me. I have no trouble driving or riding in my beater 2002 S-10, those seats fit me ok.
I know people complain about the Tacoma being small inside.

Yeah, we own an 01 tacoma 4 door and 07 fj cruiser. Same engine, but the ride, crowded vs plenty of front seat room, how they feel on & off road- just completely different rigs. Buddy that has a 4 runner from same era- feels similar to fj, except heavier / less nimble than the fj. 6’ tall seems to be the peak height for drivers comfort. I think tacoma is more like 5’10” because it is a bit cramped for me.

They are real reliable- but the moment you have to deal with the catalytic converters if required in your area- they become not so affordable. Their fuel tanks have issues with roll over valves cracking- my 01 has that currently so gotta drop the tank and swap that.
Definitely better than most vehicles on the road.

Wrenching of these makes me miss wrenching on gmt400. Teeyota is easier to do oil changes, filter is up top in good spot and auto drains. Gmt400, definitely invest in filter relocation kit imo. Interior build quality is the same. Hvac is about the same. Tacoma gets a dash rattle about like gmt400.

Know whats not as fun as either one? 2001 dodge ram 1500 with 5.9 gasser. My 23 year old son basically abandoned his in my backyard. His job required tons of city driving so he got a toyota Camry. The fuel savings was huge, so better for him. Now the bil needs to drive it for a while, probably gonna buy it off my son. But he can’t do anything with a wrench. So I get to dial it back in as reliable for him to use. New battery, drain 14 gallons of garbage gas, add in 5 new plus bottle of fuel fixing juice to unsludge whatever might be in there. Fired right up, great oil pressure. Needs a dash because it’s a dodge- but that is bil problem to pay for. I wouldn’t do it for my son, sure wont for him. I HATE interior work.

Gotta throw in left tail light- got stamped parked out on the street a year ago. Funny thing is same one was hit when my son bought it. Then a motorcycle rearended my son there when he was driving. So left tail light in this truck is apparently cursed! Haha. They mount exactly like a gmt 400. Just look uglier than the gm.
Actually an ok truck for a put-put truck. Just under 170k miles and no rust anywhere. Just dinged up bed and fading paint as all desert cars get that don’t oive in a garage. Will be worth the effort just to get it out of my yard.
bil can then sell his Buick century 1978 iirc. Not horrible- just not parts in stock everywhere. They are desirable cars by the young to 30 hear old hip hop crowd. Jack it up and put 25” rims on. SMH. So long as they do it safe and I don’t have to work on them. Haha
Yeah my Honda Accord is far superior for runs to the train station and the market than my K2500 Suburbans. The Suburbans are great for long haul road trips and towing my boats. Remember when I used to do that?

Installed Lasfit retrofit LED bulbs in my wife’s 2014 4Runner. She was complaining that the OEM halogen bulbs were dimmer than the OEM LED set up in her 2023 4Runner. So I got a set of Lasfit LEDs as they have options specifically designed for the OEM halogen projector housings.

Left = 2023 4Runner with LED Lows; Right = 2014 4Runner with halogen Lows.

IMG_1285.jpeg

LED Low on Passenger Side; Halogen Low on Driver’s Side:

IMG_1293.jpeg

LED All 4 On Hi:

IMG_1295.jpeg

Yeah my Honda Accord is far superior for runs to the train station and the market than my K2500 Suburbans. The Suburbans are great for long haul road trips and towing my boats. Remember when I used to do that?

Not a thing wrong with the older Honda Accords. I owned 7 of them, first year model was a 1990 Coupe, the rest were Sedans from 1993 to the last one a 2006 Year model. All of them were 4 bangers, biggest issue I ever had was either the 2003 or 2006 Accord had a whine in the transmission, shortly after I bought it. Honda Place replaced it free of charge. I would not buy a new one, it's a Turbo 4 banger, unless they changed them.

Not a thing wrong with the older Honda Accords. I owned 7 of them, first year model was a 1990 Coupe, the rest were Sedans from 1993 to the last one a 2006 Year model. All of them were 4 bangers, biggest issue I ever had was either the 2003 or 2006 Accord had a whine in the transmission, shortly after I bought it. Honda Place replaced it free of charge. I would not buy a new one, it's a Turbo 4 banger, unless they changed them.
The only thing with the 1990's into early 2000's 4 banger Accords was to make sure the timing belt was replaced on schedule, as unlike the same era Toyota 2.2L, the Honda was an interference engine and if the belt broke at the least you bent a valve or two and at the worst you knocked a hole in the piston crown. Not to mention timing the camshaft to crankshaft and the crankshaft to the balance shafts and then dealing with a camshaft belt AND balance shaft belt off of the crank is a royal P.I.T.A. to deal with in the even tighter confines of the Accord over the Camry to do. Having done my friend's 95 Accord 4-cyl (with installing a remanned head) after his belt broke vs. doing the timing belt on my old 95 Camry when its belt broke, give me a Toyota over a Honda to work on any day.

The automatic and CVT transmissions were known to be problematic. The K24 (2.4L) engine is legendary. Mine has a timing chain. I’ve changed the Serpentine belt at 90K and will change it again when I get around to the preventative water pump change.

If you read my post, it was a 95 Accord with the 4 cyl, and those definitely had a timing belt - not a timing chain - just as the 2.2 Toyota had a timing belt.

And the Honda, with the dual timing belt setup to drive both the camshaft and the balance shafts was a major P.I.T.A. to dead time and install compared to the single timing belt Toyota of the same vintage, and having spent almost nine hours (with the manual to guide me) in my best friend's garage trying to get the damned dual timing belt system installed. It only took six hours to pull everything off, pull the old head with two bent valves, inspect the pistons for damage (just a couple of small face dents and no cracks) and install the remanned head, the manifolds and valve cover prior to doing the timing belts.

In 2002, Toyota's new 2.4 Camry (and RAV4) engine used a timing chain that Toyota said was good to 500K miles, but they recommended replacing the chain guides at 300K miles.

Last edited:
If you read my post, it was a 95 Accord with the 4 cyl, and those definitely had a timing belt - not a timing chain - just as the 2.2 Toyota had a timing belt.

And the Honda, with the dual timing belt setup to drive both the camshaft and the balance shafts was a major P.I.T.A. to dead time and install compared to the single timing belt Toyota of the same vintage, and having spent almost nine hours (with the manual to guide me) in my best friend's garage trying to get the damned dual timing belt system installed. It only took six hours to pull everything off, pull the old head with two bent valves, inspect the pistons for damage (just a couple of small face dents and no cracks) and install the remanned head, the manifolds and valve cover prior to doing the timing belts.

In 2002, Toyota's new 2.4 Camry (and RAV4) engine used a timing chain that Toyota said was good to 500K miles, but they recommended replacing the chain guides at 300K miles.
I had a ‘94 Honda Accord with timing belt and I remember changing it. That was the first new car I ever owned. It got hit 7x by uninsured and/or drunk drivers. It too was a 5 spd manual. Got rid of it shy of 200K miles.

Back