• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Those 6x8" sealed beams shown are the Cheyenne trim level in '94. The Silverado trim level had the side by side individual sealed beams.

You used to be able to buy aftermarket replacements that used the replaceable H1 or H3 halogen capsules (as well as for the dual and quad sized round sealed beams) that could now easily be substituted with HID H1/H3 or LED H1/3 units for even higher lumen output than the 55W halogen capsule.
I got the quad rectangle, side by side system from a 1988 that had been taken to scrap for obummers cash for klunkers propaganda.
That system matched perfectly to the grill on the truck.
I sure do like this quad system over that rectangle single unit.
Dims are adjusted where an oncoming vehicle dont reauest to dim. The dims are hooked through a relay switch to stay on with the brights.
The brights are set for about ten miles and shows everything from fence line to fence line. 😹😹😹

Last edited:

You must have missed that thread.

Yeah I pretty much ignored it. Halogens are pretty much your option with those housings and they are not only inferior to HIDs, the bulbs are considerably more expensive. You would have J Dude flashing his brights at you.

2005 Honda Accord all cleaned up and ready for work. I feel a bit lost without any vehicle major projects. I guess I’ll pull ABS and transfer case closes on the ‘99 K2500 Suburban and start in on trouble shoot those.
IMG_1238.jpeg

They used to make replaceable capsule glass replacements for those old-school sealed beams, both single and dual individual hi/lo - round and rectangular styles - that ussd the replaceable H1/H3 halogen capsule in the back of them. Today you would just use an HID or LED equivalent H1/H3 capsule in the back of them instead of the halogen one.

Hella used to make them for European cars and they got used over here before halogen sealed beam headlights became common on American manufactured vehicles in the mid 80s. You could even order them out of the JC Whitney catalog. It was a great lighting upgrade for headlights on your 67 Chevelle over incandescent sealed beams for the Low pair and Hi pair - a couple of guys I knew would put the amber fog 55W H1 halogen capsule in their Low beams for cruising on Friday and Saturday nights back in the early-mid 80s.

The first generation body style GMT-400s used 6x8" single Hi/Low glass sealed beam halogen headlights on the Cheyenne level and the 4x6" separate and individually adjustable Hi and Low sealed beam halogen headlights on the Silverado. They also used different radiator supports to accommodate one headlight opening or two on each side, as well as different grilles.

Don't confuse the 1st Gen body style's individual Hi/Low glass sealed beams with the 2nd Gen GMT-400 body style's combined, composite single unit with two side-by-side reflectors and replaceable 9005/9006 capsules that just can't be found with glass lenses that actually fit.

Here's a 1990 Chevy pickup with Silverado package and the old style, Gen 1, independent High and Low sealed beam halogen headlights:View attachment 84982
Thats the system I installed on my truck.
I love it.
On bright, both low beams are on and both high beams, we can see for miles and miles and miles and miles.
Might be a song with similar words out there somewhere. 😹😹😹😹

Got this 4Runner hood for $250 off Facebook market. Seller was out in Pacoima (ie the Valley). I drove the ‘99 Suburban in to the LA office and left when I was done with work to get the hood. It was a mind numbing 3 hrs to Pacoima and home to Fullerton in LA traffic.

IMG_1259.jpeg

Got this 4Runner hood for $250 off Facebook market. Seller was out in Pacoima (ie the Valley). I drove the ‘99 Suburban in to the LA office and left when I was done with work to get the hood. It was a mind numbing 3 hrs to Pacoima and home to Fullerton in LA traffic.

View attachment 85035
In. LA traffic - does that equate to about 10 miles?

I've actually had that in Chicago traffic. Led me to stay off the major thoroughfares
The other roads take longer, but are the same all the time. Every time I tried the interstates again, I'd get stuck in traffic

In. LA traffic - does that equate to about 10 miles?

I've actually had that in Chicago traffic. Led me to stay off the major thoroughfares
The other roads take longer, but are the same all the time. Every time I tried the interstates again, I'd get stuck in traffic
I did a total of 100 miles today. 30 miles into the office, the rest to Pacoima (out past Burbank) and then back to Fullerton. Total of 4 hours driving on top of work, so I’m beat.

I did a total of 100 miles today. 30 miles into the office, the rest to Pacoima (out past Burbank) and then back to Fullerton. Total of 4 hours driving on top of work, so I’m beat.
In 1989 I bought a new Toyota extra cab and put 45,000 miles on it in 9 months. Traveling all over the burbs working.

Traded it in on the 1989 C2500. It got way better fuel economy than the Toyota.

Best move I ever made.

When I and 2 friends got in the Toyota, we had to roll down the windows to shut the doors.

Middle man had to shift.

In 1989 I bought a new Toyota extra cab and put 45,000 miles on it in 9 months. Traveling all over the burbs working.

Traded it in on the 1989 C2500. It got way better fuel economy than the Toyota.

Best move I ever made.

When I and 2 friends got in the Toyota, we had to roll down the windows to shut the doors.

Middle man had to shift.
A friend stopped over, several years ago. He had this nissan pickup thing, he kept bragging on about his nissan that he bought out of auction then had to dump a bunch of money into to get it right.
After a while he kind of run down, thats when I stuffed the fork in.
Me: what kind of fuel mileage You get with that truck ?
Gary: puffs up peacock proud, I get 15 MPG at 75 MPH.
My 93 K1500 setting in the shop and we was setting next to it.
Me: wow, what in the world are You humping around in that tin can for, pointing at the K1500, that thing there does better than that on a bad day. Any day it will get a solid 17 at 75MPH and some days even better than that.
Gary: No way.
Me: yes it does.
He didnt stick around for very long after that.
About two or three days later he comes over driving a brand new Chevy K1500. I think that was about 2017 or so. 😹😹😹😹

Back