• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

I'm redoing the intercooler, so it is already all being torn apart to get the Cummins CAC out of the core support to make room for the A2W heat exchanger. I had to hack up the current headlight assemblies to clear the A2A CAC so it warranted replacing them.

Attachments

• received_280627780636684.jpeg
    received_280627780636684.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 10
Same as any other charge air cooler, a turbo/supercharger pushing the air through.
I get that, but I was talking about what is cooling the CAC it's self. don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound rude. I've seen these before and am just curious how they cool the turbo air being over the engine and not mounted somewhere it can catch some air flow through it.

I am possibly looking at upgrading to a HX35 or 40 in the future and will probably need a CAC with it.

I get that, but I was talking about what is cooling the CAC it's self. don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound rude. I've seen these before and am just curious how they cool the turbo air being over the engine and not mounted somewhere it can catch some air flow through it.

I am possibly looking at upgrading to a HX35 or 40 in the future and will probably need a CAC with it.

Ah gotcha. There will be a dedicated coolant loop just for the CAC with a 24"x12" radiator in the core support and an electric pump to circulate the coolant through the loop.

That looks like a water to air cooler to me, and I don’t see the rest of the system.
if the radiator, waterpump, and coolant are not used, it will not cool anything off.

I think it was @Stoney asking about this earlier.

Yep, exactly. I haven't done the water side yet. Working on removing the old stuff to make room for the new.

ok that makes sense now! I had also heard of the water to air coolers too and my first thought was it was using colant from the engine lol I didn't even think about a separate cooling circuit lol

ok that makes sense now! I had also heard of the water to air coolers too and my first thought was it was using colant from the engine lol I didn't even think about a separate cooling circuit lol

You could do that, but these engines have enough cooling problems as it is. I didn't want to mess with that coolant flow and possibly compromise it. Plus having a standalone coolant loop allows for lower IAT because the engine isn't heating the coolant too.

I dont know about the smaller CAC factory units, like on the pickup trucks.
The bigger diesel units, in a classroom, We were told that the compressed air coming out of the CAC will be 10 degrees over whatever ambient air temp is.
How close that is, I do not know. We never did a thermal temp probe to test them.
All we ever did was hook the shop air compressor hose to them, through a pressure regulator and adaptor fitting with a 1/4 turn ball valve and then see how long the leak down was.
They are allowed XXX amount of leak down over a given period of time.
I dont remember the formula.

Air horns. My late father, being a Jersey guy (grew up outside of Camden in Haddon Heights) who grew up across the river from Philly, was always a live steam fan, and especially Pennsylvania Railroad, as well as street cars and interurban cars. Somewhere/how he had a set of air horns off of a Philadelphia-Atlantic City interurban railcar. Those wound up mounted and hooked up to the air system on both of our bus motorhome conversions. Talk about frickin' LOUD three note! But the set I REALLY want to get, that I don't know where they disappeared off to and I'm sure dad would have taken them off the last motorhome before he sold it, was an eight note set of electric air horns that played "There Is No Place Like Nebraska". I'm STILL slowly going through the 40-odd boxes of stuff I brought back from Denver of his, my step-mom did mark the boxes as to what's generally in them - like 'Decanters' - but unfortunately didn't cross out what was previously in the box when they moved, like 'VCR Tapes' - so it's been an adventure. Unfortunately, I have a feeling he auctioned those no longer made Nebraska football airhorns off on eBay years ago.

Started fitting the heat exchanger. Going to use some scrap aluminum angle I have laying around and rivet nuts to put it in the core support between the oil and trans coolers and radiator. Should I fill the holes in the core support that the old CAC used to pass through?

Attachments

• received_1279000725859359.jpeg
    received_1279000725859359.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 8
Looks good! be sure your front grill will clear the trans and engine oil coolers after mounting them back in.

for headlights, I installed LED bulbs in the OE housings. also used a cleaning kit to clear them up. them things are bright! I can tell others dont like them because I get flashed all the time at night! I just flash back then they turn theirs back on low lol

Looks good! be sure your front grill will clear the trans and engine oil coolers after mounting them back in.

for headlights, I installed LED bulbs in the OE housings. also used a cleaning kit to clear them up. them things are bright! I can tell others dont like them because I get flashed all the time at night! I just flash back then they turn theirs back on low lol

Both are existing stock coolers so they will fit just fine.

I did LED bulbs before as well, I love them! These new housings have glare shields so it won't be as bad as before.

Back