• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Here in Lincoln all flavors of Permatex's Right Stuff are available at (alphabetically) Advanced Auto, A Street Auto (local parts place), Auto Zone, Carquest, NAPA, O'Reilly's, Snow Auto (local) and in Black only at the local Tru-Value and Ace Hardware stores. And those are just the places around town that I know of personally. I guess that's an advantage to living in civilization!

Loaded up the parts cannon again...

The Cummins intercooler is cracked in one of the lower corners and leaking boost pressure, so I'm going to replace it with an air to water setup instead. I can put normal headlight and marker light assemblies back in the core support and be less airflow blockage for the radiator because the heat exchanger will be smaller than the current intercooler.

Well, wanted to do the full transmission fluid change, but ran into issues removing the drain pan:

609C1247-7962-40C3-9C45-F23FFB13E15F.jpeg

I stripped two of the hex bolts in the front.

3B98EE16-7A09-42B4-9FB7-570C0C9E486B.jpeg

I don’t want to risk the job of extracting the bolts, as we need the vehicle this week. My wife’s 4Runner goes into the body shop for some minor bumper cover repair at the same time I’m getting a colonoscopy done (first time). So I just pulled the drain plug on the pan. Exactly one gallon came out. It was dark, but not burnt. I could do the full exchange of fluid w/o the filter change, but f it. I feel like this is the curse of Will L.

Your pan looks way different that what I’ve seen before. Those are Allan head bolts from the look in the photo but what about an ez-out that fits in there Use a socket extension or flat punch and tap then some to jar the threads then try the vice-grip or ez-out. Those shouldn’t seize up that bad unless the thread were dry and corrosion set in the threads

Use on of these drive tools on a 1/4” torque wrench for install. Saves this headache in future. Hopefully it isn’t cross threaded.
I can’t imagine cold being issue because only 2 stuck but all others were ok- cold effects all of them.
OR, You could warm it up and those 2 come out easy. Heat gun? Small butane torch? Even a fireplace lighter with the flame on the bolt head?
0154432B-1BA7-496E-A681-5AC5140778D9.jpeg

Back