• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

I finally joined the 300,000 mile club. I knew that I would hit the 300,000 mile mark while on my way home hauling the tractor to my house. I was paying attention to the gauges and everything else and forgot to look and get a picture until I went past the mark :banghead: :bigtears: 🤬

View attachment 57018

Wow!
Thats awesome.
I love the special care you took to lovingly push aside each speck of dust that was in the way.

I gave the ‘99 K2500 Suburban a workout and drove it to Big Bear Lake. This is sort of a warm up for next weekend when we drive it up to Stevensville, 0EBC08E9-41B0-48A3-910D-DA1709ED3A72.jpegE70FC299-C486-4B7F-816E-EA27E4F0FA95.jpegCCA82082-28CA-4BD6-9733-29AD9A5DA2B3.jpegMontana, picking up a drift boat along the way in Blackfoot, Idaho.

Took the truck to get tires balanced and rotated. They were feeling flat spotted from being parked since mid-fall. Picked up a wind/bug deflector with it for the Burb and some parts from O'Reilly for my new to me gasser car.
IMG_1228 (1).JPG

1985 Caprice Classic...It was former member 635's. He can't get in and out anymore because of bursitis in his hip so he got a 96 Burb (gasser). Several days later after a lot of paint cleaning, rubbing compound, polish, wax and some parts resprayed, it got recognized today by residents at a car show for disabled, Sr. Citizen Veterans.
FYBD6463.JPG

Nice car Paveltolz. After I get paid, going to get the EVO up grade kit for the K3500 ordered and installed. Not much to do to a fine running unit as the 6.5 is.

Nice Caprice, 350 with a four barrel or maybe a 305 in it? I drove a few 80's models back in the day, they were tough cars.... :) The 95 Caprice with the LT-1 was one of my favorites of course.

I had an 85 Caprice Station Wagon with the 5.0L 307 Olds engine in it back in '97 with just over 100K on the odometer. What a piece of shit that 307 Olds motor was! Burned oil like an SOB, no power because a couple of cam lobes at least were gone and two cylinders were at less than 80 psi (probably why it used so much oil, about a quart every 100-150 miles). The 305 5.0L in my '85 G20 conversion van with 123K on it was no better. When I pulled the cam on it, it was basically missing #1 intake and exhaust lobes and #2 intake lobe. That's why I built a serious large-journal 327 from a '71 350 truck block for it, all the right parts, for a solid 325 HP and about 300 lb/ft torque. 5 MPG better highway mileage (17-19 after, 12-13 before), would cruise all day at 1800rpm @75mph on the Interstate (till the 700R4 OD went out on it).

Only a year ago? What was your hurry to put them on? :hilarious: :joyful: I should talk, I have stuff I bought eight years ago for projects that I haven't gotten to yet. My solace is I look at the money I saved by buying it back then when it was cheaper than it is now.

Came out of the clinic this morning to discover prestone leakage, got My friends 53 Ford 2dr HDTP removed from the garage, started a tear down to figure where it is coming from, water pump. My feets and back hurtz, must be time for a naparoooo. LOL

May I suggest permatex right stuff or ultimate black or grey. I have never tried recreational vehicle cement- but a jackhammer for next removal might prove annoying.. :happy:
YUP, got a cheeze whiz size of the right stuff, pump is installed, new orfice bypass hose fitting is installed, waiting for the gasket goop to dry a little, then, afore installing all the components, filler up with prestone, give it a few pounds of pressure and see if there be any leaks. The book said nothing about applying sealant to any of the bolt threads, I hope that aint gonna be a problem. LOL

Topped the prestone and no drips thus far, cleaned battery cables and checked fluids, all is good and ready for another journey. Next project for the day, LH camper brake squeaks when the brakes is applied, gotta see whats up wit that. LOL

Truck's been giving me fits starting at below 50* temps for a while. Even at 50* it sometimes chugs and belches white smoke if it catches at all. Without plugging it in, it sounds like I have a dead hole for a few seconds. So, with my physical therapy working well for my knees and all the glow plug chatter I decided to check the glow plugs system and see if my Bosch Duraterms were bad like other's were reporting.
The relay works and is putting out plenty of power to all plugs and the old glows look good but, I haven't put any power to them outside of the truck to see if they light off or not. I would post pictures but with Apple deciding that their new HEIC format is the bomb, I can't load them up without converting them to JPEG and I'm not that motivated now. Besides being lazy, I need to clean up before BigT and his wife drop by in a little bit. But, its 52* now and the truck fired right up with no white smoke or chugging so, I'm optimistic.

I met up with Paveltolz at his place in Utah. Gave him a new set of Raybestos Advance Technology brake pads for the GMT 400 that I can no longer use. He showed me his nazi strudel burner Golf and Jetta as well as his rattle can paint job on his 6.5 Suburban. Most interesting was his recent order of the u-joint steering column by Twisted Steel. I want one of these because I think it will take the last bit of dollop out of my steering. We compared the steering on the two Suburban and Paveltoz’s is looser than a $5 hooker. Mine is tighter, more like a well worn looker. Paveltolz really needs to get motivated and get that drive column installed and report back here.

Made the drive from Fullerton CA to Stevensville Montana: 1,200 miles over two days. We overnighted at a La Quinta motel (they take dogs) at the southern end of Salt Lake City. Bunch of idiot monster truck show attending 20 somethings were partying in the hall until the wee hours of the morning. Had to call security on them twice. As they say, pay back is a bitch and that came with a vengeance when I warmed up my truck at 5:30 am :cool:

Completed the purchase of my drift boat in Blackfoot Idaho, which was pretty straightforward. Then headed to Stevensville. We took our normal warmer weather route through the Big Hole Valley, crossing Chief Joseph Pass before dropping down into the Bitterroot Valley. The Bitterroot Valley is often referred to as the Banana Belt of Montana and it lived up to its reputation. It was 49 F in the Big Hole Valley and Stevensville was 71 F.
67B0D5A2-E5AC-4C5D-B889-FCC20C2B7632.jpeg98077FFE-789F-432C-8941-4DDEABC68232.jpeg

Not quite finished but running. Have a little drip at the quick connect heater hose and need to drain water and put coolant in it (rinsing it out on start up with just water). I just finished: New HO water pump, Duramax fan and new fan clutch, timing gears, Fluidamper harmonic balancer, Leroy's solid crank pulley, engergy suspension engine and transmission mounts. What a PITA to do drivers side engine mount with 4x4.

Back