• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

IMG_20220515_170639243_HDR.jpgIMG_20220515_170729715_HDR.jpgIMG_20220515_170829445_HDR.jpgIMG_20220515_170837370_HDR.jpg
I drilled a 4" hole in the fender, then attached a piece of sewer pipe. Cutting the hole in the back of the airbox was a challenge, and my alignment is off about 1/4". I then formed the aluminum portion and had a co-worker tig it together for me. I figure I doubled the amount of air available to the filter and (for the most part) the air only has the make 180deg of turns before it reaches the turbo (90 out of the fender and 90 through the silicone elbow). Unlike the k47 factory box and the aftermarket units which require 360deg of turns.

@93detroit I like this approach. I have been running the factory air box with a spectre cleanable filter in there for a bit without any issues but my box keeps popping out of the tube that connects it to the inner fender leaving a gap open to suck hot air in. the rubber 90 is 27 years old now and is getting rather hard to flex. it's a PIA just to check the air filter. having to loosen everything and pull the entire assembly out.

Hey guys, I have an odd question about my ac system. ever since I re-did everything this last time since it leaked down, installed a 105_ deg temp vov orifice tube and got the fan pressure switch installed when it's been sitting out in the sun all day with the temps up close to the 100's. I start it up and turn the AC on I noticed almost immediately the ev fan clutch kicks on. Other than this happening, the ev fan hardly ever kicks on with the ac unless I have the blower on max and I'm ether driving slow or siting at a light. with the blower on medium to low the fan never comes on other than first startup from sitting in the sun. well I got to witness what was happening with the pressures when it does this.

I connected my gauges after allowing it to sit in the sun for a bit. fired it up and almost immediately the high side rose to around 375 psi slowly creeping to almost 400 while the low was floating around 60ish. acting like it was plugged!! I let it idle while my hand was ready to disconnect the cycle switch thinking "she's gonna blow" the fan was already engaged but at idle it's not pulling a whole lot of air through the stack. hit the high idle switch and as soon as I did the pressures began to drop.. they settled at around 35 low and 225 high and stayed there no matter the rpm of the engine. fan disengaged and was cooling in the cab just fine.

I know @Will L. and @WarWagon both live in the hot climate areas and one of y'all were talking about having to go through several vov orifices till they got one that worked. I have previously never used one so I really don't know how they are supposed to react. I do know that on our trip to Rockport, about half way through the trip I noticed the vent temps were beginning to warm up and the compressor was cycling too much with my speed. slowing down to under 65 and it would get colder. while we were out there I added 1/2 a can more of 134a and it stayed cold the whole trip home, but I could still feel the compressor cycling frequently on the freeway.

Question is, is this how the vov reacts? high pressure spike at startup and then opens up to a low pressure or do I have something going on. other than me seeing this, the trucks cools wonderful around town and with the added freon cools good on the freeway now ( estimating 6 oz overcharged on an attempt to keep the wife cool going home lol )

Getting ready to Making a run to the scrap yard. Sorting plastic from metals and sorting aluminum, copper, brass, steel, etc.
Pulled the tanks from the radiator I removed from the 2000 K3500.
I have never used any type of silicone sealant on this engine. There also is some kind of a rubberish looking material, thinking it might be the coating from offa some original thermostats. Didnt look it over real well. Maybe later today or tomorrow when the back gets better.
I did replace the radiator with a new thermal coated Champion from Twisted Steel Performance.
Expand the pics to get a real good look at what all is jammed in there.

D3863A05-AD58-4445-99D8-9D1324EBD459.jpeg

CD16C6CE-BE0E-4616-AD60-0BE500D5FEEB.jpeg

Getting ready to Making a run to the scrap yard. Sorting plastic from metals and sorting aluminum, copper, brass, steel, etc.
Pulled the tanks from the radiator I removed from the 2000 K3500.
I have never used any type of silicone sealant on this engine. There also is some kind of a rubberish looking material, thinking it might be the coating from offa some original thermostats. Didnt look it over real well. Maybe later today or tomorrow when the back gets better.
I did replace the radiator with a new thermal coated Champion from Twisted Steel Performance.
Expand the pics to get a real good look at what all is jammed in there.

View attachment 74971

View attachment 74972

Did they pay you for the radiator?

Did they pay you for the radiator?
Not yet. Still getting a load ready to go.
The thin and shaped black rubber pieces is from the OE thermostats. Dont know why they would peel like that.
Have a bunch of old electrical equipment, motors, generators and all kinds of junk. Going to break it down best I can, without too much trouble, then haul it in.
If anyone wants any old Delco generators, speak now cause tomorrow I’ll most likely not get started on it until tomorrow.
DE41CF5B-CF3E-421B-AFB3-2D928258C17E.jpeg

A phew new battery cables. The long ones laid out are + top post but could be squeezed down for a negative. Those are 63” long. The shorter ones both have a N marked on the post end. They are 48” long. The two coiled one looks to be a + and the other a - and they are heavier dutier than the others and are 48” long. Grounding straps is 36” as is the side terminal cable. Aint tossing them cables. 😹😹😹

72CE1B23-44F1-4D13-9325-16104EBE9AC6.jpeg

A phew new battery cables. The long ones laid out are + top post but could be squeezed down for a negative. Those are 63” long. The shorter ones both have a N marked on the post end. They are 48” long. The two coiled one looks to be a + and the other a - and they are heavier dutier than the others and are 48” long. Grounding straps is 36” as is the side terminal cable. Aint tossing them cables. 😹😹😹

View attachment 74981

Copper prices are high now. I have some 2/0 gauge marine battery cables I’ll be taking in while down in SoCal. Back of 4Runner has 2 garbage bags full of crushed plastic water bottles, 1 bag of crushed aluminum cans and 1 box of beer bottles. All those get taken in to claim the CA recycling tax.

Copper prices are high now. I have some 2/0 gauge marine battery cables I’ll be taking in while down in SoCal. Back of 4Runner has 2 garbage bags full of crushed plastic water bottles, 1 bag of crushed aluminum cans and 1 box of beer bottles. All those get taken in to claim the CA recycling tax.
No plastics incentives here. Be nice if there was. No glass bottle incentives too. That I am aware of. I never buy soda pops anymore so I dont really know about the glass bottles, is there a glass bottle anymore ?

Use a utility knife and slice the insulation, peel that stuff off. It then turns into No.1 copper. Much better price.

I'd hang on to them battery cables for a rainy day if I were you! it never fails for me... haul all my scrap collection off and the very next day I find that I needed something I tossed. especially when it's something not easily found and me thinking "I'll never use that"

Back