• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Water pump leak

Just noticed after backing the truck up to the garage that it did not leak much at all over night and it was pointed slightly uphill. When facing the garage pointed slightly downhill, it would lose at least 1/2 gallon overnight.
That's a sure sign the WP seal is gone and the bearing ain't far behind.

That's a sure sign the WP seal is gone and the bearing ain't far behind.

I've got the pump, gaskets and seals, but the timing chain did not arrive. USPS tracker says in transit, but delayed. Was supposed to be here 8/6.

My wife arrived here on 8/7, so we do have her 4Runner and thus no need to use the Suburban.

I've got the pump, gaskets and seals, but the timing chain did not arrive. USPS tracker says in transit, but delayed. Was supposed to be here 8/6.

My wife arrived here on 8/7, so we do have her 4Runner and thus no need to use the Suburban.
And UPS in this area is getting worse than the USPS. The last parts I got from Midway USA for the AR build, Got the tracking number but UPS would not specify a delivery date. Not real good on the updates of the in transit progress too. Then, after the package got to billings, they turned it over to USPS and that takes another day for that too process.
If the package is just put on USPS in the first place, delivery is always within five days, and, usually about three. UPS, there is no telling when it might get here. That last one was eight days from Kansas to miles city.

And UPS in this area is getting worse than the USPS. The last parts I got from Midway USA for the AR build, Got the tracking number but UPS would not specify a delivery date. Not real good on the updates of the in transit progress too. Then, after the package got to billings, they turned it over to USPS and that takes another day for that too process.
If the package is just put on USPS in the first place, delivery is always within five days, and, usually about three. UPS, there is no telling when it might get here. That last one was eight days from Kansas to miles city.

I should have had my wife bring up the Cloyes Timing Chain and Gear Set that I bought for my son's '94.

No leaks from any hoses. It was dripping down onto the Fluidampr HB. Based on inspection of the new water pump, it's coming from the weep hole.
Grab an inspection mirror and a flashlight and take a gander at the weep hole underneath the snout of the water pump. Even if it isn't leaking at the moment, after seeing the pictures you posted with how big of puddles it left and the uphill/downhill symptoms you described, prior leaking from the weep hole will be very evident by light greenish-white streaking and/or crystalline ethylene glycol deposits around the weep hole.

Another sign of impending catastrophic water pump bearing failure is when the engine is idling, can you see any, even the slightest bit of, wobble in the w/p pulley and/or pulley bolt head? If any wobble is present you are on borrowed time.

Cloyes timing chain arrived. Made in France.
Would you prefer it said Made in China? We are in the Globalization age, like it or not. If the quality is there, why complain if it's made in a Country still friendly (for now) with the US?

Hmm. That could be good or bad.

First I have to ask are you 100%? Because they have been made in Paris Arkansas for years. Jic it says made in Paris...

If so, New fabrication could mean different assembly of the links, and different metallurgy.
Most the double roller chains for hotrod gassers were already good quality. 10:1 was the cut off. Under 10:1 a single roller was ok, and 10:1 compression needed double. So it isn’t like they cheaped out making the chains i think. Ut there is no triples for the next level of over 17:1- those pressures are why gear drive on gassers was used.
Hopefully they are doing top end stuff and you get a long life from it. Especially if they learned from German tooling companies it would e awesome. Problem is France doesn’t belong to the Eurofer- the EU steel association that almost every quaility place in Germany, Spain, Itialy, Poland, etc belongs to.
Hard to imagine it would Be worse than China chain. USA or German tinfoil is stronger than chinesium steel.

Installed new from Oriellys when I first got the K3500, thermostats. I was mighty surprised when i seen that they had stamping that they were made in Israel. I was more than happy to install those.

I’m punting on the timing chain replacement. Too much shit to take off and my foot is not happy doing this work. Why fix something that’s not broke?

On the old, I used a gasket on the front side of the plate to the pump, but just sealant on the rear. Is that acceptable? Do I need sealant on the bolts going into the water passages?

On the old, I used a gasket on the front side of the plate to the pump, but just sealant on the rear. Is that acceptable? Do I need sealant on the bolts going into the water passages?

Yes.

Yes absolutely Use it on each gasket and the bolts.

why the chain now? Because you have 80% of the work done at this point. The chain continues to stretch until one day the ip will mot stay in time. Also as the chain stretches more that can allow piston to exhaust valve timing to inch closer. The AC Delco or Cloyes chains almost never strip or break. The cheap chains I have seen strip teeth destroying engine.

many engines make it 350,000 miles on a factory chain. But also many engines get destroyed and people don’t always know why the valves and pistons kiss bending valves, rods, etc.

imo more important to get it done than diy everything. I won’t have someone else do my engine because hiring someone as good or better than me is expensive- and I cant afford it. And my engine has been apart how much longer now because of it?

Yes absolutely Use it on each gasket and the bolts.

why the chain now? Because you have 80% of the work done at this point. The chain continues to stretch until one day the ip will mot stay in time. Also as the chain stretches more that can allow piston to exhaust valve timing to inch closer. The AC Delco or Cloyes chains almost never strip or break. The cheap chains I have seen strip teeth destroying engine.

many engines make it 350,000 miles on a factory chain. But also many engines get destroyed and people don’t always know why the valves and pistons kiss bending valves, rods, etc.

imo more important to get it done than diy everything. I won’t have someone else do my engine because hiring someone as good or better than me is expensive- and I cant afford it. And my engine has been apart how much longer now because of it?

Doing the chain just wasn't in me. I remember putting that Fluidamper on and it was a bitch. If we had 3 cars up here, I'd do it because then I would not be down to just one car. Timing chain and gears are Cloyes and have 70K to 74K miles on them.

Back