• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

VW TDI P2031 Engine Code

BoostN

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Started Sunday, Glowplug "Coil" light started flashing, then the check engine light came on. Parts store read the code for me and it's P2031 Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit. That tells me it's DPF/Emissions related.

I've got an appt at the dealer in the morning, I'm hoping it's nothing to crazy. Warranty is out as I have 65K miles on the car now..

vwcode.jpg

Last edited:
Yikes. That is what scares me about VW. They are usually expensive to fix. And need their own code reader/ scanner. Hope you make out ok.

Maybe it is just a sensor that needs replacing like the O2 sensors on a gas motor?

Last edited:
Dealer gave me the quote today. ~$400..

I'm really considering selling the car once fixed. It only has 65K on it, rather buy a new Cruze diesel and get the 100K warranty, and have a CHEAPER payment.

Have you looked into trying to fix it yourself? Did they tell you what the issue was?

Yea, printed parts list/quote. Requires you to buy a special tool, and so forth. Not really worth it. the other thing, I have 64K on it. At the 80K mile service it's going to require that trans flush by VW. Since it's out of warranty, I won't do it. But I'm afraid of the long term affects after that.

Dealer gave me the quote today. ~$400..

I'm really considering selling the car once fixed. It only has 65K on it, rather buy a new Cruze diesel and get the 100K warranty, and have a CHEAPER payment.
I'm thinking your on the right track there

$577 and I'm all good.

I really hate to sell it and start all my payments over again, because I might clear $1000 from book to what I own on it.. :(

I'm thinking of chancing the reliability and driving it for at least a couple more years.

Can you purchase an extended warranty from a third party vendor?

I had one, ended at 60K.. I had 64K on the car when I went in for this last problem. I think I paid 2K for that, never used it. Never again will I buy another one.

The factory warranty ended at 36K.

They are just like insurance. A big waste of money until you need it.....

I have gotten offer in the mail that go to 100K probably pricey for them.

On the trans flush- I learned something about trans care in high mileage fleets. If you have been servicing the trans, then do the flush to extend the life of the trans. If you have not been doing trans service leave it alone and ignore it.

The abuse of trans is to let the fluid get overheated, then add in the mix of the clutch material running through the system and plugging things up. This will shorten its life. Want to kill it quicker, then add a bunch of new fluid that is designed to clean the surfaces. It will clean the balance of the disk material off nice and quick, sometimes plugging the filter causing cavitation.

One of the oils we did testing for was experimental "long life" trans fluid and the result was astonishing (at least to me). The longest life we got out of them was to change the filter, but run the fluid through a centrifuge, then a 2500psi desalinization filter like ocean boaters use. Any make up fluid was detergent free. Several trucks were sent back to GM with this done to them and 750,000 miles on it, still shifting nicely and cruising like it should. We did similar testing on some ford, dodge, yotas, and hondas. Same basic results longest life was cleaning out oil instead of replacing it. Thinking I was a genius at one point I got them to run 6 trucks on a straight non detergent fluid- yeah do not do that! Still get the Einstein comment from a couple buddies about that one.

That being said I have no clue how different vw trans is, When does the nickel and dime get too high on those cars? A couple of $500 repair bills a year is still cheaper than a monthly cost. A used tow dolly can be had around here for around $250, and doesn't take up much yard space. 1 use pays for all future tows you'll ever do. It does make for an annoying day when you have to go that route though. Question is how much $ is the convenience of not needing to do that worth to you. $20k is worth me towing once every few years.

This is the first real problem I've had out of the car, I don't know why I'm so uptight about this last repair charge.

My biggest thing is maintenance on it. I've done the required oil changes/services that VW outlines since it was new. The next "big" one is at 80K which requires the trans to be flushed. You have to have special VW tools for that service. I'm not interested in those personally. We have a place here that does VW repairs and maintenance. I'm going to call this week and see what they charge for the 80K service.

Ah - got ya. I was gonna ask My daughter what hers cost but she has an '07 turbo gasser Jetta. No comparison

Do some research and find out how soon the trans dies if you just ignore it. I have a friend here that is so proud of a Toyota he owns with 350,000 miles on it. He keeps all the records of it, including air added to tires. I got him to let me sit down with him and add up costs of all maintaining he has done. Over $22k. Not Repairs when something broke, just maintenance. Another $13,500 for that. Would have been better to ignore it all, then drop in new crate engine and trans every 150k.

Keep in mind the manufactures have to appease the dealerships in trying to get them more return work for the customers. Is more maintenance a bad thing, no. But is it always the best ROI, no.

My 01 suburban with a 6.0 has had the A/C redone when it ate a compressor on a trip through Arizona at around 125k, or 150k. Brake pads. Oil changes at 10,000 miles-ish , more like 15,000 over the last 4 times. By misunderstanding a guy did a trans filter at around 200k, when I just wanted engine oil, filter and fuel filter. 1 alternator, belt tensioner, and a battery every 5 years or so. Tires. idk, maybe new spark plugs might get me back the .25 mpg loss it has at 205k on the clock compared to when I bought it with 22k on it, but I think that is more the tires having better traction. The money I would have spent doing everything recommended by the mfr/ dealer especially if I paid labor, would rival my friends costs. Instead I'll just ride this horse into the ground, kick it once, and walk away money ahead.

I care about my Hummer and plan to keep it WAY longer than I should, so I waste the money to try to stretch out it's life because I wont be able to find a replacement in 20-25 years. For just a dd car though that doesn't fall into your "dream car" category I say whip it like a rented mule and spend the $ on things you really love to do.

Good info Will. I haven't looked at it from that perspective, but makes sense.

I spent 9 hours a year ago changing the timing belt on my son's Tundra at 95k because it's recommended maint. I saw that the old belt looked just as good as the new belt and none of the other parts were worn or needed changing. I said to him that since it isn't an interference engine, it isn't worth the work. IDK how much a dealer would be for that. I don't think I want to know.

VW's have either good maintenance or none, but if they say don't service an auto, do the exact opposite. If its been serviced, no need to flush it. I have a 2000 Jetta TDI, bought it with 350,000 Km's on it, flared 2-3, dropped out of OD, would delay into D or R, its the dreaded 01M trans. I read and read and VW calls it a lifetime fluid, total bs. I am going to assume mine was never serviced and yep, dropped the pan, black tar. I changed the valve body with a known good one-wear item, lol, drove it, changed the fluid again, drove it, changed it again, used my Ross Tech to change the shifting and its like a new car.

Back