• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Vortec 454 Rebuild options

tanman_2006

Just a farm kid...
Reaction score
So as my other thread stated, I spun a bearing in my 97 454 vortec motor with low miles on a rebuild.

The crank has already been turned once, I assume I just need to replace it. Is there anything spcial about the vortec 454?

I found a 95 tbi 454 with 78k miles forsale, would that bottom end work with my vortec heads and a cam?

If you get a low mileage drop in maybe it has a good intake that you need. As you are going to swap cams a reman isn't a good value as it could be. Warranty concerns for major mods like that on a reman.

Cam and valve spring set really needs to match the fueling/compression/airflow triangle, and which heads you have affects that and if you just gasket match,fully ported, and unshroud valves.
Gas engines are so dramatically changed by the cam choice, figure first budget, then needed power and at what rpm.

Taking the time to plan it out is important.

I just want a stock engine with upgraded springs, cam, new injectors, headers, and a tuned 411 ecm.

I value the real world experience of the members here to give advice on a work truck that doesn't need all of the bells but just needs all of the grunt it can get.

You can upgrade the cam and increase fueling without porting heads. Didn’t mean to make it like you have to, it just helps and is usually a good diy for 1 days work and under $100 for extra torque and hp.

I'm out of the loop on 454 stuff. I've never messed with one and honestly know little to nothing about them. As to cams, COMP CAMS has never steered me wrong. Call em up, tell them exactly what you have, what you want, and they've normally got something that will work. I would be cafefull picking a cam. If the big block is anything like the vortec sbc, cam swaps almost always require head work to accomodate the added lift.

I borrow a stock 1993 454 now and then. Mainly to run it through emissions as a favor for a friend. It's a dog that is always out of fuel. However it's got near 200K on the original engine and not near the trouble of the 6.2/6.5 to "keep alive". Dog = Patch with the lowly 6.2TD (Uh... nothing stock about it) will eat it's lunch and send it home crying to mommy. I can't encourage you to warm it up a little enough esp. with the engine out. IMO your plan is a good one and the advice to call the cam company is pure gold. Again you only need to warm it up a little to get rid of the dog feel and stomp Patch is not off the table: off budget maybe.

Have you checked the cost of porting heads? Just saying don't take it off the table until you watch it kill the budget. Heads are the most important part of a NA engine bacause you don't have a turbo to overcome restrictions. Yes, I know this isn't a drag racer build as well. But with gas that cheap there is no reason it can't put a smile on your face when you stomp it. That makes up for the wallet pain and helps with "blown engine blown budget" PTSD therapy.

Here is a neat article the justify your plan that touches on the ugh retard cam used...

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/0512st-1996-chevy-dually-cylinder-heads-roller-cam/

Back