• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

TroubleGuessing

NoInterstates!

Reaction score
Help!

I am new to the forum, and so far am very impressed. I wanted to run some troubles I am having with our truck by you all. I have been chasing sparks around for almost a year, and am not having much luck as well as running out of ideas.

Symptoms are as follows;

Starting, Glows cycle fine, turns over quick and will fire and rev up to 1000, maybe 1200 RPM real quick then immediately die. When you turn it over, there is white smoke, smells like unburnt diesel.

Idle, The only way to get it to idle is to give it just a little throttle when it does fire. If you're lucky it comes into a ROUGH idle fluctuating between 800-1100 RPM. At this point, there is a lot of white smoke, smells like unburn diesel, and by a lot I mean my neighbors don't like me or my truck much anymore.

There are no codes.

I have changed the PMD with a brand new one from Dipaco. Remote mounted it with a SSdiesel PMD cooler. Checked all the grounds, tightened them. Ohmed from batteries to body to frame all very good. Changed battery cables. Put brand new injectors in(OEM Stanadyne ones.) Changed the ECM(kept the same chip). Changed the Crank Position Sensor, Coolant Temp Sensor, and the MAP/Boost Pressure Sensor. Not one of these things even made a slight difference. The exact same problem has persisted.

I was looking for your thoughts on this as fellow owners. Thank you all for your time and hope to see you on the road.
Take care

Sounds like a lift pump problem. Do the diagnostic checklist in the sticky on the top of the thread page. Then post the results. This will help narrow down what it could be.

Make sure you DO NOT move the ground to the heatsink. It has to stay ON top of the IP.

x3, on LP and OPS check.

Classic pin hole in the fuel line somewhere sucking air. A small pin hole will let enough air in the fuel line and compromise the integrity of the fuel supply.

Look for a wet spot on the line or around the top of the pickup. Might be lift pump but try the easy stuff first. If it clears up after awhile and is only hard starting after sitting for awhile then air is the problem.

If the SS Diesel cooler is in the SS Diesel recommeded mounting area (manifold) you need to move it either back on the pump (crap, but it is better than the manifold) or relocate it.

PMD and or lift pump sound like the issues to me, also, fuel lines might be rusted as well.

good luck and welcome to the site!

If it turns out to be the lift pump I recommend using a Walbro FRB-5 pump instead of a stock replacment. I replaced mine with a stock replacment and it lasted approximately 30,000 miles and the tuck never ran correctly with it. I even rewired it direct so I knew it was running. Since I replaced it with the FRB-5 it runs flawlessly and pump more fule than the stock type ever thought of. Just my .02 worth.

no , it could if you cut off connector from an old GM lift, but I'm using the GM connector to control the relay that is powering my Walbro, so as to not overload the OPS/PCM contact/control line, as I assume since Walbro moves more fuel, it probably has higher current draw than a GM pump, and we know OPS is marginal powering that pump..

If it turns out to be the lift pump I recommend using a Walbro FRB-5 pump instead of a stock replacment. I replaced mine with a stock replacment and it lasted approximately 30,000 miles and the tuck never ran correctly with it. I even rewired it direct so I knew it was running. Since I replaced it with the FRB-5 it runs flawlessly and pump more fule than the stock type ever thought of. Just my .02 worth.

Have a filter in front of the pump ???, needs one IMO

SSDiesel PMD Cooler Location

GM Guy,

I wondering what makes you think that location is a NoGo for the PMD? They seem to swear up and down to put it there. I take it you have experienced something that makes that spot trouble-prone?

bk95td, Rodd, JMJNet, Slim Shady, GM Guy, Bullseye240, Turbine Doc, Thank you all for your replys. Any experience shared is worth it's weight and gold and I appreciate it greatly. I am going to pull the truck into the garage and thaw it out for a compression check this weekend. I will check the fuel system as you have recommended and post both results here. If it is the fuel system, and you live in North America, chances are I will be coming through eventually and you can have a cold one, my treat!

Take care all

No Interstates -

The problem with the PMD is simply a matter of the equation: Electronics + Heat = dead. Electronics + Cold = Live long time.

The IP is a better location than mounted to the intake manifold because the IP had cool fuel running through it that marginally cools the PMD. And I mean marginally. Here is some food for thought:

Our trucks coolant likes to run at around 200*. That's the coolant, not the actual block temperature. The block can be much warmer than that. Under the hood of the truck, it is pretty warm due to the ambient heat of the engine block.

If you know anything about computers, you'll know that if you let your CPU hit 200*, it's fried.

The reason that we recommend moving your PMD behind the bumper, ideally using Heath's setup, is because there is a lot of airflow right there, plus your PMD is properly mounted (using a thermal conductive paste) to a heatsink large enough to be effective in dissipating the heat from the PMD. This allows the PMD to run as cool as possible. And if you look at the equation above: Electronics + Cool = live long time, you can see that, well, electronics that are running as cool as feasibly possible will live a lot longer than electronics that are running at warmer temperatures.

That said, it's your PMD and your rig.

I can attest to the fact that they WILL fry if mounted on the intake. It happened to me. Walt's heat sink is a good heat sink but mounted on the intake it is a heat soak after the engine is shut off or if in traffic with low air flow. The bumper is away from any heat scorce.

Have a filter in front of the pump ???, needs one IMO

Yep got a nice 9 inch long spin on filter in front of it!:thumbsup:
I just got back from Thanksgiving back in the midwest and the truck ran perfect the whole way. :coal: even blew black smoke on a Prius a couple of times!!!
On the long drive back I was constantly scaning the dash for a place to mount a fuel pressure guage and some LED's for the vacum switches to tell me when to change the filters when I notices my truck came equipped from the factory with the perfect place....THE ASHTRAY!!! I never use it for it intended purpose and if necessary I could close it when not needed.

GM Guy,

I wondering what makes you think that location is a NoGo for the PMD? They seem to swear up and down to put it there. I take it you have experienced something that makes that spot trouble-prone?

Let see I sell a driver relocate kit, mount it off pump so it's easy to change, then only warranty it if it stays in that location, for only a year, and sell more drivers as many fail in that location, as opposed to another vendor (Heath) that sells a relocate kit out of engine bay, and warrantees it for 7 years with few fails that solution. Hmnnnnn would I sell more drivers in engine bay or out of bay?

Walt has been wrong before, the one sold at SSD is a copy of the original remote kit that style, Beta/DSG kit sold by several vendors, my experience with that style was 3x underhood fails, I have not had a PMD fail going on 5 years now on Heath driver 1 in my truck, & 4 years on driver 2 in the burb.

I have asked SSD directly if the SSD solution is so good, where is the warranty that backs it up, ..........silence..........crickets chirp as the hours pass to days, weeks, months, years, and the question remains unanswered still.

Another thing to add:

These trucks are non-intercooled (stock, Turbine Doc doesn't have that problem!), so the intake heat should be fairly warm, definitely warmer than the IP that has luke-warm fuel running through it.

Another thing to add:

These trucks are non-intercooled (stock, Turbine Doc doesn't have that problem!), so the intake heat should be fairly warm, definitely warmer than the IP that has luke-warm fuel running through it.

Actually I am non IC'd now but am running a turbo that doesn't need cooling thus far, IC is in standby to plumb back in, but so far these last 2 mos it's been unhooked I've yet to see over 198 F IAT.

Still installed, but not connected to ATT now, ran it for a while with IC, and since turbo provides same grunt as GM-8 with less boost & backpressure, (about half boost/BP for equivalent on GM-8) I figured what the heck maybe I don't need IC, less turbo lag now, Slim did his after I did mine, both of us don't think we will be going back to IC, if we find IAT is going to be an issue, probably easily managed with WMI, which won't spray often as times at high boost above 10 psi and when IAT really climbs will be rare

Back