• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Trouble with the Optimizer 6.5

Yeah, quite a bit to small. The 2.8L is a nice engine from all reports, but not up to full size truck duties. If GM would have followed through with the 4.5L V8 baby DURAMAX, that would have been a prime choice. Even the 3.0L ECODIESEL would have been an OK choice, but alas GM pulled out of that one and let FIAT have the rights to it, and we all have seen how well that one is working out for them.

I'd say its a bit small for a 2500 burb coming from an 8.1l
Yeah, quite a bit to small.

Perhaps, but from a power to weight perspective, the 2.8's torque is not that much less than the 6.5's, so with four less cylinder's worth of mass, the 2.8 still looks interesting.

So, come-on Bobbie, you *know* that you want another challenge to tackle! :D:D:D

So, come-on Bobbie, you *know* that you want another challenge to tackle! :D:D:D

I have enough projects for now. The Golf was my daughters, it's currently an automatic. I have a 6 speed and some go fast stuff (bigger turbo, etc) that will be installed as soon as I can.
Plus, I've been waiting for 3 years to get to this, my Mini Pickup.

You putting a TDI in that?

No, a 1380 which is an over bored 1275 (A Series engine). Stock was an 850 or 1000 A Series.
Something like this
1380-a-series-fast-road-engine.jpg

I would think THAT would be the candidate for a 2.8 Duramax! Drop the body onto a lifted, shortened CJ chassis with some 33" tires and send the article/photos into DieselPower!

I'm parting out everything. We bought a new (used) Suburban, a 2003 2500 with an 8.1! Which means, all the 6.5 stuff has to go!
Nice Burb! Sorry to hear the GEP block didn't work out for you, i'm about ready to drop the other one i had in my 3500.

Don Austin

Back