• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tractors - Post them.

I think heston made a good decision, They sold while the market was good and got a BIG check + continued payments through the use of their name. The big check alone is worth it, the extra money for rights to the name is just a bonus.

Agco should have left their designs alone, they worked great had a good reputation.

Gleaner is about the only thing agco hasnt screwed up product wise. but they treat the division as the weirdos in the back shed, so one could say they kind of leave it alone too.

maybe someone should offer to buy Gleaner off of Agco, one of the smaller brands like Great plains or Landoll.

I think heston made a good decision, They sold while the market was good and got a BIG check + continued payments through the use of their name. The big check alone is worth it, the extra money for rights to the name is just a bonus.

Agco should have left their designs alone, they worked great had a good reputation.

That's what I am saying. When Agco moves in things go south.

Gleaner is about the only thing agco hasnt screwed up product wise. but they treat the division as the weirdos in the back shed, so one could say they kind of leave it alone too.

maybe someone should offer to buy Gleaner off of Agco, one of the smaller brands like Great plains or Landoll.

They have left Fendt alone as well. Hopefully it stays that way.

I picked up our set of Tweel's today for our Cat 262C2 Skid Steer.

We have had too many headaches with pneumatic tires due to punctures. Whether its a simple or large one, it happens too often. The turning point on this machine was when one of the workers stabbed the bale spears through the front two tires which still had over 75% tread.

We knew solid/solid flex type tires were not the answer either due to their rough ride and poor impact resistance. We have too many instances where they ram into a stub wall or curb.

I stumbled across the Tweel and thought it would maybe be the perfect fit. i had many doubts, but it seems to be proving me wrong.

I just got them on today so short of just playing with them I don't have much feedback. The one thing I really was curious on was their supposed resistance to "hopping/dancing" when turning with the skid steer. They really do eliminate this, all the way up from 0-12mph turning on a complete dime it didn't hop or skid nor did it do it on fast cornering either. The ride is interesting to describe. You can tell you are not riding on pnuematics as it is a slightly firmer ride, but nowhere near a solid tire ride. The large open spaced tread blocks may contribute to some of the ride qualities. The more you load the Tweel's up, the better they seem to ride though. So far traction seems excellent even on ice. Hopefully these do end up working out. They are a big upfront investement but are retreadable.

Heres a picture of ours followed by a video from Michelin.

20130213_165255_zps1195e710.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRKWlhTGO6M

I need to look into these for out JD skidder. It has 1,030 hrs on it and has racing slicks.

What does a retread cost and how available are the retreads?

I need to look into these for out JD skidder. It has 1,030 hrs on it and has racing slicks.

What does a retread cost and how available are the retreads?

They currently dont work that way.

They are brand new and in limited release. They will not be used in a retread exchange program for now. When talking to one of the guys at Tweel he said they intend to have people get their own Tweels retreaded locally. While getting them retreaded you just put the air tires back on. In the future if demand is high enough they may be able to do an exchange program.

So currently you have to buy new ones. They do not have a price set in stone yet but it sounds like they may be just over 1k when everything is fully up and running.

Thats fine, I would expect to have to buy my first set new but I just didnt know if they already had a retread program and I don't know where I would take them to get retreaded. Our skid steer is 8yrs old I think and is just now in need of tires so by the time the Tweels are shot we will probably be looking for a new skid steer lol.

Keeping the aired tires wouldnt be the end of the world, they still have ~1/4 tread but are pretty chewed up from clearing fence rows and pushing tree piles.

what is the warranty on the rubber "tendons" or joining between tread and rim? if its a super long lasting thing, it would look like an excellent idea.

personally, we wont get a Skiddy on our operation. doesnt fit it and we have sod we dont want tore up. a big Allis Chalmers payloader is on the shopping list though for industrial grade playtoys. doubt there is a tweel for that one though.

Thats fine, I would expect to have to buy my first set new but I just didnt know if they already had a retread program and I don't know where I would take them to get retreaded. Our skid steer is 8yrs old I think and is just now in need of tires so by the time the Tweels are shot we will probably be looking for a new skid steer lol.

Keeping the aired tires wouldnt be the end of the world, they still have ~1/4 tread but are pretty chewed up from clearing fence rows and pushing tree piles.

They will have places set up by the time they need retreads. I am not sure if they will have their own tread or just use off the shelf treads.

what is the warranty on the rubber "tendons" or joining between tread and rim? if its a super long lasting thing, it would look like an excellent idea.

personally, we wont get a Skiddy on our operation. doesnt fit it and we have sod we dont want tore up. a big Allis Chalmers payloader is on the shopping list though for industrial grade playtoys. doubt there is a tweel for that one though.

From what I can tell there is no official warranty spelled out. However, as with most large tires from all brands, if you have a failure you just deal with the company then. Michelin has been very good to deal with, firestone was always good as well. They don't sell on warranties like passenger tires.

They have been in development since 1995. The spokes are made from poly not rubber. They are quite soft too you can wiggle them with your fingers.

Got in a set of Michelin's Bibsteel All Terrain's this week. Weren't ready to buy another set of Tweel's yet and wanted to see how these performed. Being steel belted radials they are more resistant to punctures to begin with. Most all other SSL tires are Bias ply. These were a little more than the Firestone Duraforce DT's but were half as much as the Tweels. We never got very good life out of the Firestones. Maybe 600hrs. The Michelins start with a little more tread and the Radial construction should help them run at least twice as long. With wheel loader tires I was always told 3-4 times the life with Radials over Bias and that was what the prices reflected as well. Tractor tires seem to wear at least two to three times as long in addition to other benefits.

If these last as long as I am hoping they should have decent tread for trade in time. These will be going on our 242B3 that runs in the barn, pushes up feed, scrapes manure, beds freestalls, jumps center alley curbs, moves bales, etc. I did disable the 2 speed on this machine however which should help some with the tire life. Our 242B3 for feeding will need tires next winter. By then we should know if we want another set of the Tweels or not I am thinking. Then we would just take the tires from the new machines and put them on the trade-in's and keep that rotation going. I do not know if we will want three sets of the Tweels though due to the fact we may trade down a size on the barn machine to a 226 which runs 10" tires and they do not make the Tweels in that size yet.

I also attached a picture of the Tweels after 150hrs worth of use. I made sure to not wash them in that amount of time. In the deep snow and mud they keep themselves cleaned out well and do not allow much buildup at all. I forgot to put a gauge to them when new, however Michelin claims 30/32" original tread depth. At this time they measure 29/32". If they continue this trend in theory we should easily see over 3,000hrs worth of life in the original tread. We typically run SSL tires down until the center is smooth. With the Tweels being flat across though it will allow slightly longer wear. I would not expect the retread material to last as long, however I do not know if Michelin will be supplied a pre-mold or custom mold tread or if they will be having people use an off the shelf retread material.

Michelin Bibsteel All Terrain 305/70R16.5

20130316_123415_zps96c7ee0d.jpg

Tweels after 150hrs. Rear squats due to how heavy the 262C2 is in the rear with no attachment.

20130315_123750_zpsab19b51f.jpg

Are they same size frt and rear? Wonder if need to rotate for spokes? Pr
Might be hard on a machine that sits extended times?

Yes they are the same size, the flexing on the rear one makes it look much smaller. When out actually working the front is loaded much more.

I rotate the tires every oil change (500hrs) anyways to keep the wear even on the tread. Rears like to wear out much quicker.

100_1508_zps0325f5d0.jpg

Dad drove this home nearly 100 miles, so she seems sound. comes with duals not pictured. gave under 3 grand for it.

the 7080 was a factory hot-rod. 181 hp on the PTO from a 426 cubic inch I6 built in house. model 670HI. 20 spd semi-manual 10 gears you have to stop for, and a 2spd powershift called the Power Director.

the 670T was in the 7045 (135 PTO HP) , no bypass oil filter, no coolant filter (it was optional though) just turboed and that was it.

the 670I was in the 7060 (161 PTO HP), bypass oil filter, coolant filter, turboed and intercooled. (Allis Chalmers had their name in raised letters on the intercooler, pretty cool IMO)

the 670HI was in the 7080 (181 PTO HP, I beleive 220 at the crank) bypass oil filter, coolant filter, turboed, intercooled, counterbalanced crankshaft, factory fluid type damper., rated RPM 250 RPM higher than others, 2550 Rated RPM.

all had big inboard planetaries, allis finally got their act together on rear ends, to such a degree many models didnt have a maximum working weight limit (weigh it down and pull the shit out of it).

This 7080 has the big cast centers, the 7060's wieghs only a few hundred lbs for the pair, supposedly these weight a few thousand. plus, there is an additional 1K lbs or better added on in extra wheel weight. rims are 18x38, so need to have 20.8R38s, but the PO stuck 18.4x38s on them, way too little rubber on the ground for the power. we will ditch the ugly aftermarket front end weights for some factory ones we have around. we had a factory extra heavy top link kicking around, and so we stuck it on, due to it coming without one.

notice allis was the first to feature many modern features on their tractors. belly fuel tanks that were ground fill, air cleaner ahead of radiator, PFC hydraulics (I beleive first to market) quietest cab in the industry (there is a reason it looked so goofy) inboard planetaries (was mid pack to market with these) etc.

allis was also good about keeping air cold and flowing right. mandrel bent intake tubes, intake on opposite side of exhaust with alternating valves, etc.

anyhow, thats enough drooling for me. :) IMo thes ol girls are better than anything deere had to offer, but many will disagree. :) at the very least, these deserve more credit than they are given, pretty good ol tractors!

If a moderator wouldnt mind, could the two posts be merged into one, and delete my sig for better viewing?

Last edited by a moderator:
link to the lights? what is the housing size, and price? more light is allways better! :)

There is a link in the post above. Summit was the only place that had them listed at the time. They just came out with the 2500 lumen version.

The size is in the link above.

They are not cheap though. $220 each.

I have been lokking at Vision X light bars for future lighting upgrades.

many of our allis' only came with two forward facing halogens, so needless to say we dont need much to kick the ass of the current setup. :)

I see the link now, I overlooked it.

Back