• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Torque converter

@JayJayEL79 ... If somebody put the wrong one in, could have been a shop did it and cut corner to screw customer..
If that's the case I think I'd be worried about the crank.
As far as I know, it still runs great but was making terrible noises when put in gear. Was thought to be transmission originally but apparently, on further investigation by a journeyman mechanic, it now may be torque converter with only 3 bolts. Not sure if it's loose or failing or what. I don't have it here at home to investigate myself.

First.. WELCOME TO TTS...😁.... SECOND.. PULL THE DUST SHIELD OFF.. see how many ears are on the flex plate.. I just changed the torque converter couple months ago on mine and it was a 6 bolt...
If the flexplate has six ears it's going to be a 6 bolt... Honestly can't imagine it being a three bolt with that much torque I would think would rip it apart.... I got mine through AutoZone which was only cuz I needed it right then and there... But not their brand... If I remember right I couldn't even find a listing for it on RockAuto..
Thanks very much for the welcome, Stoney. I don't have the truck at home right now or I'd be checking things out as soon as it was a nice enough day.

Condolences and prayers out to You, Your family and Your friends that share in that grief.
If You have the means and the time, a couple or ten pics of Your truck would be nice.
Thanks for the condolences and prayers, MrMarty51. It's been rough and still is at times. Just taking it day by day and trying to focus on the good memories.
I don't have the truck at home right now and may not be until spring. It's at my sister's place right now. Her boyfriend is the journeyman mechanic I mentioned. Hoping to get out there soon to at least check things out. Been a few years actually since she was driven so she may need some things other than just a torque converter by now. I hope she's not too rough.
I can say however that the box is rough. Can't remember for sure about the rest of it. My dad had riveted some fibreglass panels over the rusted areas and I will be addressing that as time and money allow.
First things first, I need to get her home and get her driveable again. But, as I said, that may not be until spring. Especially with the amount of snow we have here and not having a shop or even a heated garage.

It will need a TC regardless, but, also check that the flex plate/flywheel is not cracked and also that the TC to flex plate bolts/nuts are tight.
A lot of times bad noises from that area can be as simple as the TC to FP bolts being loose.

It will need a TC regardless, but, also check that the flex plate/flywheel is not cracked and also that the TC to flex plate bolts/nuts are tight.
A lot of times bad noises from that area can be as simple as the TC to FP bolts being loose.
Yeah, I figured so, and thanks for the advice. I will indeed check all that. Don't want to replace the TC and then still have issues.

Once this problem is over, take time to read the stickies and ask questions. There are things that ruin this engine, but caught in time keeps it on the road- oil cooler hoses & balancer is top of the list.
Ok. Thanks for the advice. I will do that an check into whatever might need to be replaced. I'm not sure how on top of things my dad was but he was usually pretty good at maintenance, I do know that.

This engine is an unusual critter. Many of the things that make a difference saving money/ lasting long time isn’t normal maintenance
Ok. Good to know and thanks for the heads up. There are many things I'm going to have to learn from this truck and especially this engine. Would I be able to get a list of things I need to check over? If it's no trouble, I mean.

First off you need to figure out which trans you have. A 93 1500 with a naturally aspirated diesel engine should have a 4l60e, not a 4l80e, and the 4l60e uses a 3 bolt torque converter, not a 6. Some 3l80/th400's used 6, but most of them were 3 bolts. The 4l80e used a 6 bolt converter, but only a 8 lug truck with a 6.2l would have gotten a 4l80e.

First off you need to figure out which trans you have. A 93 1500 with a naturally aspirated diesel engine should have a 4l60e, not a 4l80e, and the 4l60e uses a 3 bolt torque converter, not a 6. Some 3l80/th400's used 6, but most of them were 3 bolts. The 4l80e used a 6 bolt converter, but only a 8 lug truck with a 6.2l would have gotten a 4l80e.
Ok. Thanks for the advice. I hope I can get my hands on the truck soon. Itching to get it driveable again and enjoy it but it's not here and will need to be hauled or towed here. Unfortunately may not happen until spring.
My sister's boyfriend, who is apparently a journeyman mechanic, says it's supposed to have a 6 bolt torque converter but I haven't had a chance to talk to him about it since I inherited it and I don't know which transmission it has. All research I've done indicates a 4L60E but I can't recall offhand whether it has a 3 spd or 4 spd transmission. I do know, however, that my dad said it was averaging 30mpg on the highway, so I'm inclined to lean toward it having a 4 spd.

Condolences, and welcome.

Noise can be a cracked flex plate OR a separated/failing harmonic balancer that's on the front of the engine.

Itching to get it driveable again and enjoy it but it's not here and will need to be hauled or towed here.

Wait a second. Rub the "sentimental" out of your eyes a moment and give this an honest evaluation. Are you willing to "restore" a rust-bucket and honestly with yourself: how bad is the rust? IMO there be $$$$ in just getting it to your place. Even without a full restoration what is it going to take to make it operable safely?

Keep in mind when restored you will have:
The worst brakes GM ever put on something is this era 1/2 tons with obsolete rear drums and ultra small front rotors and pads. The 4l60E, if equipped, isn't great to start with and behind Diesel Torque just YUCK. A N/A 6.2 Diesel can't get out of it's own way downhill with a tailwind. You may soon learn the desire some of us have had with a gutless smoke belching N/A 6.2L: to Kill for a good turbo.

Maybe just "take a picture" and let it go. Maybe it's in good shape IDK.

Otherwise it will be interesting to see this brought back to life ... around (beware of) the scarce supply of worn out rebuilt beyond sane number of times parts that are out there now.

Condolences, and welcome.

Noise can be a cracked flex plate OR a separated/failing harmonic balancer that's on the front of the engine.

Wait a second. Rub the "sentimental" out of your eyes a moment and give this an honest evaluation. Are you willing to "restore" a rust-bucket and honestly with yourself: how bad is the rust? IMO there be $$$$ in just getting it to your place. Even without a full restoration what is it going to take to make it operable safely?

Keep in mind when restored you will have:
The worst brakes GM ever put on something is this era 1/2 tons with obsolete rear drums and ultra small front rotors and pads. The 4l60E, if equipped, isn't great to start with and behind Diesel Torque just YUCK. A N/A 6.2 Diesel can't get out of it's own way downhill with a tailwind. You may soon learn the desire some of us have had with a gutless smoke belching N/A 6.2L: to Kill for a good turbo.

Maybe just "take a picture" and let it go. Maybe it's in good shape IDK.

Otherwise it will be interesting to see this brought back to life ... around (beware of) the scarce supply of worn out rebuilt beyond sane number of times parts that are out there now.
I will have to check it all out when I can get to it or get it home.
Yes, I understand the thought process and yes, it may just end up being a parts truck, but, until I can have a good look at it, I won't know for sure.
Brakes can be upgraded cheaply and I'm just looking to drive it. Not worried about seriously towing or anything performance wise. Just drive and enjoy the truck, if it works out that way.
But, truly hoping I can make it back on the road with it. Will keep the forum posted.

I will have to check it all out when I can get to it or get it home.
Yes, I understand the thought process and yes, it may just end up being a parts truck, but, until I can have a good look at it, I won't know for sure.
Brakes can be upgraded cheaply and I'm just looking to drive it. Not worried about seriously towing or anything performance wise. Just drive and enjoy the truck, if it works out that way.
But, truly hoping I can make it back on the road with it. Will keep the forum posted.
Also, thanks for the condolences and the welcome

Back