• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tire Reviews

Well I went and pulled the trigger on 4 new tires for my truck, Michelin LTX A/T2, LT 245/75R16E's for a little over a thousand bucks.

Old Michelin LTX Tires I bought in March of 2012, were pretty well shot, I could have got more miles out of them but I don't want to be on wet roads with slick tires. As you guys know on wet pavement theses strong Duramax Trucks will bust your chops even at 40 MPH on a wet road when under heavy acceleration.... :smuggrin:

Going on some road trips further down south soon, I don't need any tire issues.

So far on the highway at up to 80 MPH the new tires are pretty quiet, :) not much noise, but it felt strange at times, kind of unstable. The wind was blowing, I wondered if that was what I was feeling or if all lugs were tight? I got home, checked the tire pressures in the rear tires, son of a biscuit, it was around 87 PSI in the rear, the front was 60 PSI. I am thinking heck fire, those rear tires were like basketballs coming down the road, that could have been the problem? Those tire guys must have thought I was going to haul a monster arse load or something, heck fire, sweet mother of mercy.

I guess time will tell on how well they do, most of my travels will be on the highway with occasional farm and deer camp use, I suppose these tires will last me for the next 6 to 8 years, with no more miles that I travel? Plus I must mention a swap out the summer tires for my set of winter snow tires around October each year so that helps out also.

Attachments

• 1558134467822.png
    1558134467822.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 7
We live been looking for tires on and off over the past year. I was considering the Michelin LTX since I had great results years ago but seems the newer ones aren’t all they used to be. Bummer. I’m 95% sure I’m going with the Continental TerrainContact A/T. And planning to run 285/70/17 on some h2 wheels. I’m hoping to get through summer before pulling the trigger. But figured I’d post up to see if anyone here has any experience with the continentals? I don’t see too much about them. But the few reviews I did find seem to be pretty good.

How’s the Yukon doing @BigDogYJ
It’s doing well. I’ll link the update post here as to not take this tire review thread too far off topic. 😀

So i couldn’t pass up a deal at America’s Tire for Memorial Day weekend. So I pulled the trigger on the continentals and got them mounted on the h2’s. I like them. I will say these things are extremely quiet on the highway. Maybe quieter than an Michelin’s I’ve ever run. I’ll be trimming the inner fender liner on the backside of the front wheel well tomorrow. If I can get 40-50k out of these and traction prices it’s worth then I’ll be super impressed with these. Even the guy at the shop mentioned he doesn’t too many continentals but those look nice. I’ll try to keep posting updates as I get miles on them. 56A1164B-DAD5-4D60-AFE2-FA31EAC0F703.jpegF9C8C808-A9F3-4E77-B2A2-B49F46A7B287.jpegDB3B4F5E-579A-46B7-9402-2C3029DC388B.jpeg03877C69-55AC-478E-953A-1502597F3305.jpeg2A1B9A05-A751-44B7-B031-91A293618255.jpeg56A1164B-DAD5-4D60-AFE2-FA31EAC0F703.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
So i couldn’t pass up a deal at America’s Tire for Memorial Day weekend. So I pulled the trigger on the continentals and got them mounted on the h2’s. I like them. I will say these things are extremely quiet on the highway. Maybe quieter than an Michelin’s I’ve ever run. I’ll be trimming the inner fender liner on the backside of the front wheel well tomorrow. If I can get 40-50k out of these and traction prices it’s worth then I’ll be super impressed with these. Even the guy at the shop mentioned he doesn’t too many continentals but those look nice. I’ll try to keep posting updates as I get miles on them. View attachment 57191View attachment 57187View attachment 57188View attachment 57189View attachment 57190View attachment 57191
Any update, on these tires?

Any update, on these tires?
Thanks for the reminder.
So today I've got 166,300 miles, so close to 19k since I installed them. Still have more than 50% tread life remaining. I'd guess ~60% (I don't have a way to measure 32nds). I'll try to measure in the next couple days. I've been rotating about every 7k miles. Recently about 4k miles ago I had an issue with a tire that seemed out of round or had issues above 75mph. I purchased the tires at America's Tire (known as Discount Tire outside of CA) so had them do a balance and rotation to isolate the issue. They had to perform the balance twice but that issue seems to be resolved at least up to about 85-90mph.

Really impressed with the handling and smoothness of these tires. They are still just as quiet as the day I installed them. Most of our mileage has been dry highway mixed with city driving. We've got some rain and light snow mixed in there on the highway and these tires remained sure footed with no concerns whatsoever. Haven't experienced any deep snow more than an inch, but might get a chance over the next week or so. I'll try to update if we get up to the cabin and there's any measurable snow.

I did get some off-road driving in this past summer (mostly dirt/rocky desert roads -- all dry) and noticed 1 tire had a small leak (5 psi loss after sitting for 3 days). I found a nail in one of the rear tires in one of the wide circumferential treads that seemed to go in at an angle. I left it in there for 2 months and just made sure to add air every couple days till I was able to get into the shop to get it patched. They patched it up without issue and no leaks since then. I can't fault the tire for that one. Aside from the nail, tires performed great (I ran them ~15psi off-road) never had any traction issues).

Overall really pleased with the tires and if the rate of wear continues I'd definitely buy them again. I recently purchased the Michelin Defender LTX for my wife's 2004 Yukon (SWB, Full-Time 4WD, 5.3L) and notice on one particular highway near us that the tires seem to follow the grooved concrete (tramlining?). Its annoying but hasn't caused any issues yet. I don't get any of that with my continentals. If I'm still impressed with the continentals at the end of their life, I'll probably just put them on my wife's next go around. Time will tell. Here's a few pics from today.

1A7DC211-88E7-4876-939A-F0777A929116.JPG

2D2D3026-080B-4C71-9C24-29C46EC07C6A.JPG

I guess this thread hasnt had much activity lately.
After we picked up our trailer last year I had some noticeable side to side feel going on and in trying to resolve or isolate the issue, I ended up downsizing my tires From 285/70R17 to 265/70R17 out of concern for the sidewall height being the issue. Since we've have the MIchelin Defender LT MS on my wifes AWD yukon and we've been very pleased (after the first 2500 miles, then tramlining issue on concrete freeways cleared up), I decided to put the same tire on my yukon (the DZL burb -- lets be honest its still a suburban :) ). I've had them for just over a year now and very pleased with them, super quite and well mannered on the highway. Plenty of rainy wet roads and they've been perfect. No snow yet, but that will likely occur this winter. I've got around 13k miles on them right now and not sure of remaining tread, I'll check tomorrow, but my buddy saw them the other day and he mentioned ohh you got new tires? I said a little over a year ago, ohh they look brand new. So thats good. I'll get some good pics and depth measurements tomorrow. Been keeping up on rotations every 7-10k. Overall I think they helped with the stability of the trailer a little bit but I can't fault the Continentals I had before. Keep in mind I've also replaced steering gear box and pump with PSC, new Pitman/idler and new rear leaf spring/shackle bushings. So I believe the big improvement of the trailer feel was a combination of all the above. I dont think I'd hesitate going with the continentals again. I still have them with about 40% remaining on them. Havent found a use or someone to pawn them off to yet.

What brand was giving you the issue?
I noticed the side to side stability with the Continental TerrainContact A/T in 285/70R17. It was only while towing the travel trailer and with decent cross winds.
But i can’t say they were the actual cause of the issue since i changed several other things as well. It could also just be the nature of a slightly taller sidewall. I’m kind of hyper sensitive to small things like that when driving.

Back