• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tire Reviews

I have been running Nitto Tera Grapplers (TG) in a 285 on H2 wheels for about 10K mi now. Great combination. I run about 60 psi all around when unloaded. The TG's are "E" rated and the ride is surprisingly comfortable with zero road noise. No squishy feeling and the 285 on the 8.5" wide H2's are perfect. I will be driving back home next month and will have them rotated and balanced at my home tire shop (every 5K mi). I will also check the tread depth for wear and get an idea of how many miles I should be getting out of this set. So far I plan on replacing them with the same when it is time. They have done very well in the snow and the only way they could do better is with chains and traction bars when in the dry deep snow.

2 reviews from me.

Cooper STT 235/85 R16 E - very good off road tire, not noisy on the highway, got about 35,000 miles out of them running on them in the fall/winter. They do fairly well on ice too all considering.

Les Schwab Toyo AT 235/85 R16 E - quiet tire, decent ice traction, crappy mileage. Only got about 20k out of them. I got more miles out of my knobby off road tires than these highway tread tires.

I just bought a new set of skins for my '94 pickup in my signature, however, before talking about the new skins, here's a report on the ones that I ran before. When I first bought the truck it had 265-75-16 E-rated Toyo A/T's, -which for summer highway driving worked great. In the rain the Toyos were not good at all, I almost wrecked the side of my truck when I spun out one night in the rain going around a corner. The rear-end grabbed posi, broke loose and the truck swapped ends. I ended up sliding backwards off the road with the tires lit-up in 4th gear and mowed down a small tree with my drivers-side rocker panel. The good news was no door damage. That was a few years back, -but I felt it necessary to report. I pulled the Toyos off with about 45% tread left in favor of a set of 285-75-16 BFG D-rated KM's (old style).

The KM's were a great tire, and worked well for pretty much every type of driving I did. The weren't "excellent" in any one area, but worked "good" in all driving conditions. I do drive my rig HARD, meaning driving a 6700 pound rig around like it's a sports car. Hard acceleration, hard braking, burnouts, mud, snow, and sand. I do my best to rotate, but I didn't do great on rotating the KM's, -and my mileage on this set suffered as a result. I got almost 33k out of them before the carcasses were showing through. The KM's were not as "round" as they could have been, and I cursed at them on more than once coming home on a long drive with the kids and woman trying to catch some sleep on the drive home. I now have a brand new set of skins on the truck, -but they don't say BF Goodrich on them this time. After reading a *&%load of reviews, I have settled on a set of 285-75-16 E-range Goodyear Duratrac's.

I only have around 100 miles on the Goodyears, so I don't have a lot to report right now, -but they are quiet, grip like glue on wet pavement compared to either the Toyo AT or BFG KM's. They are also round, and required very little weight to balance (compared to the KM's). They are pretty heavily siped, so I'm nervous about burnouts, because I don't want the things to "chunk". I will report about burnouts at a later date. :hihi:

As we all know, fresh skins can be a bit "squirmy", -at least until they get a few heat-cycles on them. When I first hit the freeway, I thought, -man, these suckers are going back! As it turns out, America's Tire had them inflated at 65 PSI, -it was like driving on ice on the freeway ruts, -scary in fact. I have since lowered the pressure to 42 in the front, and 35 in the rear (unloaded most of the time). The truck drives 100% better on the freeway, -and sidewall flex is negligible.

I have not had the goodyears in the snow, sand, or mud yet, but I will report back with my findings when I do. So far, they have the Toyos, and KM's beat in wet-pavement traction. They are equal to the Toyo AT's in roundness, smoothness, and quietness. The ride once aired down a bit is Cadillac-smooth, and they still corner well.

My total bill at America's Tire with road hazard insurance, $1170.00 out the door, still less than the KM2's by $50.00 for the set of four, -hopefully a good investment.

So far so good, I will report more back later.

Avoid at all cost: Goodyear Eagle F1 all season in 275/40/17 (Camaro)... Or probably any other size for that matter.

At 15 through 25 MPH they literally are noisier than a set of Gumbo Mudders...

Bead sealing problems ever since new.

Weather checked after one year.

Best practical tire in 275/40/17 is the BFG KDWS.. IMO..

Should have known better to switch.

Running with different pressure front to back is hard on the transfer case in 4wd and in some conditions/speeds can buck like a bronc. I know this...;)

Once again, I have had EXCELLENT results from BFG AT/KOs through many sets. Yes they can have a roundness problem (I learned to select) and they are expensive.
Me and my truck are worth it.

Running with different pressure front to back is hard on the transfer case in 4wd and in some conditions/speeds can buck like a bronc. I know this...;)

Once again, I have had EXCELLENT results from BFG AT/KOs through many sets. Yes they can have a roundness problem (I learned to select) and they are expensive.
Me and my truck are worth it.

I was really on the fence about getting to KO's, -everyone I know that has them always has good things to report (with the exception of the occasional out of round tire).

Yes indeed, in 4WD the pressure difference front to back is definitely noticeable, -but not as noticeable as it was on my '76 truck with the 205 case and 4.11's in the rear and 4.09's in the front. That thing was terrible on anything but loose gravel deep mud or snow.

I don't typically run around in 4WD unless there's snow on the road, -or I'm runnin' the logging roads on loose gravel when I go up shootin'.

This is the first time I have strayed from BFG loyalty, -but I have to say, the Duratrac's are impressing me so far.

I will have more to report after I get a few miles on 'em.

Many guys in the Jeep club here run the Duratracs and have only positive things to say about them. I am definately going to be interested in a set next.

Got a picture of these Duratracs? How many miles can you expect from them if rotated regularly (say 15k)?

I just replaced my Hankooks with some Michelin LTX M/S2 tires and I'm pretty happy. The Hankooks are a good tire, but after 22K, they got fairly loud. I would say that you can get at least 30k on the Hankooks with care. The Michelins are nice and quiet and the truck almost seems to "glide" now...

Got a picture of these Duratracs? How many miles can you expect from them if rotated regularly (say 15k)?

I'm hoping for much more than 15k, -heck, I used to get more miles than that out of my bias-ply swampers and mudders on my '76.

If I don't see at least 35-40k out of these, I would be surprised. The tread blocks on the outer edge are very close together, -which should greatly reduce the "heel-toe" wear that occurs with a mud tire on an IFS truck. On the flip side, the Duratrac's are also definitely NOT an all-terrain, they are something in between an all terrain and a mud tire, -a compromise, -it's about time a tire like this came out. The all terrains are usually too much of a street tire for my liking, -because I DO go wheelin' in the mud and snow when I go shooting, -and I do like to go alone sometimes (I know, it's a calculated risk), so getting stuck isn't a real good option. On the other side of the spectrum, mud tires in general suck on the street, -the widely spaced outer tread lugs "bend and roll" with every revolution that the tire makes, -causing accellerated wear, -especially on an IFS truck.

It's dark, so I don't have an actual picture of my truck, but here's one off the America's Tire website.

They grip wet pavement like you wouldn't believe.. The ride is also very nice.

So far very impressed....

duratrac.jpg

Thanks Rich. Yeah, they do look like pretty good all arounds with mudder thrown in.

Anyone dealt with Cooper ST's? Not the Maxx, the original. They're going away now but I found a set i was thinking on buying to replace some worn out Transforce A/T's. Looking at 265/75-R16's.

BFG AT KO's.

Not a complaint.

Great snow performance, great wet, quiet on the highway.

Seem to wear like iron for me. Last on average 5-7 years.

Great all around LT tire.

Next set will be the same.

Let me just say that I am a tire whore and that I sell tires as a side business. Since I have had my 2 duramaxes, one thing has shown up for sure, some tires don't last. When I first bought my truck (2002 CCSB DA) I bought a new set of the just released BFG KO's in 265/75/16E, worst tire I have ever owned! Bald at 22k I followed them up with a set of Mickey Thompson MTZ's same size and they did excellent in mud, very good in snow, and lasted to about 30K when I pulled them off with about 6 32nds left. I bought another set of MTZ's and took off elk hunting towing my fiver with the horse trailer behind it. Got to the National forest and got into snow/ice and waited too long before chaining up. I spun my tires pretty hard when I lost forward momentum and the next day I saw that I took off 40% of the rubber off of one of my new tires! Must have been a sharp rock in the road. When I got home, I measured the tread depth and saw that I had used up 2/32nds on the other rear tire. I ordered one more new one to replace the trashed one and saw that this set just wasn't wearing like they should, so I sold them. I replaced them with a set of Dick Cepek 285/75/16D Fun Country II on a new set of 16x8 wheels and put 20k on those tires and sold them with 13/32nds of tread remaining and bought another set. I am up to about the same 15k right now and still have about 16 /32nds of tread on these. These tires grip the snow well, surprise the hell out of me in the mud and handle a heavy 5er with 500 hp and have no adverse effects. Since I have been running the Cepeks, they are now my go to tire for people with diesels that want good wear.

On my wifes 01, I have a set of Michelin LTX 265/7516E that have been on for 3 years and they refuse to wear out. Quiet rolls easy and not bad in the snow. When winter comes, I put her winter tires on and they are General Grabber A/t2's with studs and these are truly an awesome snow tire. I have also sold many sets of these and sometimes they wear well and sometimes they don't. I have a set of these on my 06 duramax at work for snow plowing duties and they are great. I also have a set of Firestone Transforce A/Ts on my work truck for the other three seasons, they roll easy, are quiet and do much better in mud than I ever would have thought. I decided to try them because some of the oil field company's are using them on their hot shot trucks. My results are they seem to be wearing kind of fast. They start with 17/32nds, and they are down to about 12 32nds with about 6k miles on them. I just installed a set of Dynapro ATM RF10's on my daughters CCSB DA last week and so far so good, they seem to be holding up well in the snow. Two years ago I installed a set of Nitto Trail Grapplers on my son in law's 03 CCSB DA in a 285/65/18 and he has gotten 40k out of them. Traction on hard pack snow is their down fall, not enough sipes. We will be trying a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers on his truck in the next week and see how they hold up to his 500 hp burn outs. Keep in mind that tire wear is very subjective to what part of the country you live in and what the road surface condition is. In Wyoming, the highway department uses chip seal as a antiwear agent for the asphalt and the way it makes the asphalt last is by eating tires! Good for business!

I got about 44K out of my OEM Bridgestone Duravis. They had plenty of tread left, but the sidewalls were completely dry rotted and cracked. I currently run General Grabber HTS and have 49K on them. I will probably replace them next summer. They have been quiet and provided good traction and mpg's, but were a little bit difficult on the balancing end. I am still not sure what I will replace them with. I rotate my tires every 6 months.

Used to be a Goodyear Guy through and through and I still like some of their tires but as soon as Kelly or Cooper makes a 20" A/T w Kevlar and 3 ply side walls they will be getting my business.

Currently have Mickey T ATZ 305/55 R20's (33x12.5) on the dmax. I gross 30K twice a week on a slow week along with light towing/hauling on and off road. I dont drive aggressive for the most part and rotate every 10K (every oil change roughly), In for the first rotation this week and even with 3 bad ball joints and bad idlers and pitmans they are wearing decent and have ~2/3 tread left.

My Hancook Dynapro MT's grip good and wear ok on the rears of my farm trucks but the last set was squirly with a load, No longer happy with that company. Last ~30-40K as traction tires only on loaded trucks (cheap replacement tires when I am in need of 2 tires)

Goodyr Duratracs and Workhorses on steer tires of most trucks and a combo of both on my 95 Z71 and they are both great ~30K on them and still have 1/2 tread left on all rigs. (duratrac replaced workhorse)
Goodyr silent armors last well but arent amazing for traction. 60K easy with tread to spare.

I drive 100K miles/yr or more and spread the load over 3 trucks normally.

Back