• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Thinking of pulling the plug on my 6.2.

Husker6.5

135' diagonal 16:9HD, 25KW sound!
Reaction score
Yup, and while the 700R4's could handle the anemic 160 HP and 275 lb/ft of the 5.0 in my '84 G20 conversion van, that maximum torque is up above 3,000 rpm where the clutches in the OD section and the lock-up torque converter could handle the stress. When I dropped my built 327 320HP/510lb/ft beastie into my van, both the OD section and lock-up ability of the torque converter went bye-bye within a couple of months after that, as there was just too much torque (about 250-260 guestimate) at the 2300 rpm it ran in OD with the TC locked up at 75mph on the Interstate.

Again, @dubiousgarage, unless you either tear down and rebuild the transmission with upgraded high HP/tq frictions, steels, planetaries throughout it and modified valvebody to give you more apply pressures and a high horsepower racing designed lock-up torque converter, or buy an already high HP race/off road-prepped transmission and TC, you WILL tear up the OD section and torque converter of a stock 700R4 if you put a 6.2 in front of it. It may take a few months to a year, or much less time, but it WILL happen.