• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Thinking of pulling the plug on my 6.2.

Big Ray

my two fat girls.
Reaction score
it's been sitting for 7-8 years now. Had a fuel problem somewhere in the system.
I want to rig a jug & see if I can get it to run right at the i.p.
Its.in a 90 burb, have no idea if its the original engine or not. I would love an Optimizer or P400, just don't have that kind of $$ for an old truck like this.

I am hoping the GM bean counters that ruined this engine to save a few pennies burn next to slave traders and pedophiles! Grrrr

Guess I'll find a 454 and drop it in.

Forgive my grammer and spelling, auto correct is my worse enema! Lol

I always start with replacing the 1/4” return line out the front of the ip with clear line.
Then get a small clean fuel can, drop a line in it and hook straight to the ip.
the clear line will show good fuel flow, and any contamination or air intrusion.

no starting fluid.

Try firing it up and of it doesn’t- make a video of it trying and post on YouTube or similar then add link here.

unless that 6.2 scattered, try to save it.
And if you aren’t absolutely in love with that suburban, you might sell it and get a gasser instead of swapping. Diesel suburban in any decent shape is desirable and most suburbans are gas. 6.2 will get better mpg, and adding a turbo will improve both power and mpg.

I have a turbo kit for it. A used Banks unit. It's a 3/4 ton, it got 17 mpg with a 3.73 gear. (2wd).
It has some surface rust, but the interior is fine. Nice truck, really. Loved driving it.
Even found a brand new turbo the Banks is based on. Just without the logo and price tag!
I'm putting efi on the Blazer, when that's done the burb is next.

Just received a notice at work this morning that diesel price went up another .22 cents a gal to 4.08 at the loading racks. that will bring South Texas to around 4.30 - 4.60 a gallon at the pump we were at 3.79 a gal here in town as of yesterday afternoon. Price goes up every time Buidum opens his mouth!!

I wish ds4's didn't have issues with black diesel! I've been saving all our used motor oil for the past year or so.

drove into town to fill my aux tank. HEB grocery was at 3.89. I saw one station (mom n pop store) at 4.08 tonight, but I don't think many have changed their prices yet. not until they order fuel when they will change. I did get to run my mileage though. got 14.2 on this round.

At the risk of getting political, 1) drill baby drill, 2) tap the strategic oil reserve, and 3) while the mandate fever is still strong mandate energy independence for the US of A.

There'd be overnight relief at the pump.

Apologies in advance if I crossed the line...

I have a reman i.p. pump on the shelf. Suppose to have hardened military innards to run on anything. And a set of reman injectors with the pop off pressure cranked up just bit. I'll see if I can locate the specs.

Found it. From 2014...

• Military DB2-4521 - $200 (SOLD)
    • 63 mm^3/stroke - good for 210-220HP with a turbo
    • Recently rebuilt, 30K miles, only removed so I could go to a 275hp pump
  • (8) 6.2L long body injectors - $200 (SOLD)
    • New Bosch units, 2000 psi pop
    • 30K miles, worked perfectly
    • Upgraded to 6.5 high pressure injectors

I think a db2 is what I want to convert to after my current ds4 dies. though I will have to get a trans controller and harness since I have the auto trans. I don't think the cabling and brackets should be too much of an issue. this will allow running the black diesel in the future.

Good news, I have a turbo 400 in mine. Only has a vacuum regulator valve where a tps would normally sit.

Bad news, I have a turbo 400 in mine. Eats hp and no overdrive. Makes my ears bleed at 70 lol! 3:73 gear...
Pulls strong, tows good. Just not fast...
If the engine is salvageable I have a nv 4500 on standby for it...

Back