• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Thinking of pulling the plug on my 6.2.

Regular gas here 4.07, diesel 4.99, non ethanol is 4.69.

Yelp, there has been some converter thefts here and actually they've busted some of them.
We aren't getting "some", we're getting anywhere from 3-10 nightly (that's just what's reported to the police) - or more. Had a Heating and Plumbing company owner come to work one morning and find every single one gone off his fleet of 12 vans parked in his fenced in lot. Had a construction contractor building the new south freeway arrive one Monday morning to find the cats missing on every pickup that was parked along a 7 mile stretch of construction. Residential neighborhoods, there are multiple Ring and security camera clips of the assholes stealing them off of vehicles parked in the driveway or on the street in front of their house posted to the App, Nextdoor, a neighborhood chat app.

The City Council passed an ordinance that required individuals selling used cat converters (one or more converter) to either exhaust shops/mechanics or to the recyclers in town to purchase a $5 permit from the City that has their verified information on it. Muffler/exhaust shops and mechanics/repair shops don't need one. It really hasn't slowed the thefts down, now they just take a load of them up to Omaha's several recyclers or to nearby small towns that have salvage yards with shaky ethics to sell them. Seems that the favorite target of late is late model Honda SUVs, seems it's easy to get under them and cut them out quickly. Saw one video posted where at 4:30 in the morning the homeowner's Ring alerted them and when they turned on the outside lights and opened the front door, the perp bolted from under the Honda, leaving a shoe behind, and ran off. When the owner took in the Honda to an exhaust shop to check the damage (there was a noticeable exhaust leak sound) the tech found a Sawzall 6" hacksaw blade broken off at its base and embedded about ½" into the top of the pipe in front of the converter! The owner was lucky, a bead of weld to seal the cut and out the door for $25, not the $1650 plus labor for the Honda Catalytic Converter (not available aftermarket yet, too new of a vehicle) and any other damaged exhaust system parts.

it's been sitting for 7-8 years now. Had a fuel problem somewhere in the system.
I want to rig a jug & see if I can get it to run right at the i.p.
Its.in a 90 burb, have no idea if its the original engine or not. I would love an Optimizer or P400, just don't have that kind of $$ for an old truck like this.

I am hoping the GM bean counters that ruined this engine to save a few pennies burn next to slave traders and pedophiles! Grrrr

Guess I'll find a 454 and drop it in.

Forgive my grammer and spelling, auto correct is my worse enema! Lol
If you give up on it nterested in selling your tv bracket? I’m looking for a 6.2l to 700R4 bracket and rod (trying to replace a th400 in a CUCV with a 4 speed).

Unless you seriously build that 700R4 (especially the OD section) and put a billet multi-disc clutch torque converter in it, the torque from a 6.2 will eventually take out the TCC and/or the OD section. Too much torque too low down in the RPM range for the 700R4 to handle unbuilt. Keep the TH400 and drop a Gear Vendors OD unit into it between the tranny and transfer case.

Unless you seriously build that 700R4 (especially the OD section) and put a billet multi-disc clutch torque converter in it, the torque from a 6.2 will eventually take out the TCC and/or the OD section. Too much torque too low down in the RPM range for the 700R4 to handle unbuilt. Keep the TH400 and drop a Gear Vendors OD unit into it between the tranny and transfer case.
The GV OD looks great but it’s It’s almost $3500 with taxes and shipping. I communicated with a guy who did GV OD and was happy but still had a somewhat limited top speed. It sounds like the 4th in a 700r will produce a higher top speed the GV OD? Do you know? (Assuming same difs and tire size)

The GV OD looks great but it’s It’s almost $3500 with taxes and shipping. I communicated with a guy who did GV OD and was happy but still had a somewhat limited top speed. It sounds like the 4th in a 700r will produce a higher top speed the GV OD? Do you know? (Assuming same difs and tire size)
You will have near that amount of money building a 700R4 and buying a suitable TC unit.

I had both at one time . No vacuum pump with no AC and the pump runs the trans . What about the military trucks with no AC ? Cable runs to the trans , lever takes the place of the vacuum mod or can .

Th400. I contemplated a 700r4 very briefly, but the one in my other burb died. I quit them after that.

If I ditch the diesel I'm going big block. Keeping the truck,

And the 400!

A ton of guys go from the th400 to a 4l80e or 700r4 if power isn’t too high and the mpg savings is quite noteworthy. If a person puts 100,000 miles on the set up it definitely pays for itself.
But years of reliable service from th350&th400- means I absolutely love them. I really with they would have made the 4l80 fully mechanical like the 400. That would be a wonderful thing. My deam transmission would be the 6 speed version of it with th400 1,2,3, then od of 15%,30% & 40%.

A ton of guys go from the th400 to a 4l80e or 700r4 if power isn’t too high and the mpg savings is quite noteworthy. If a person puts 100,000 miles on the set up it definitely pays for itself.
But years of reliable service from th350&th400- means I absolutely love them. I really with they would have made the 4l80 fully mechanical like the 400. That would be a wonderful thing. My deam transmission would be the 6 speed version of it with th400 1,2,3, then od of 15%,30% & 40%.
Absolutely right.a 400 with overdrive would be the swizzle.

I have a nv4500 in the garage. If the 6.2 lives, I'll turbo it and put the 5 speed on it.

My k5 has a th350, but I scored a nv833 for it.
It's a a 4 speed, with 4th being overdrive. It had a short run in the 80s, if you find one grab it.

Ah the critical information. Much thanks. I had heard from the owner of a GV OD with a 6.2 + th400 that it was good but he still wanted a bit more. More support for a 700R4 (if you’re keeping the 6.2).
A 700R4's OD section and lock-up torque converter will not hold up under the low RPM torque of the 6.2 combined with any vehicle stresses placed on it, like towing, off-roading, vehicle weight, etc. - hence why the CUCV and the pre-6.5T HMMMV ran with the TH400 in them. You can run a 700R4 behind a 6.2, but you'll spend about $2k to build an existing one or about $3k to buy an already built one designed to handle a 500+HP BBC race/off roading motor that can then also handle the ~300 lb/ft torque at 1800 RPM the 6.2 puts out. The point being that even behind a 300HP/300TQ SBC in a Camaro, the 700R4/4L60E is seeing the max torque up high in the RPM band - often 3,500+ RPM - where the frictions/steels, gears, planetaries can handle it.

Back