• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The official "Help a Brother Out" documentation thread (pics, stories, laughs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a provider fail for my internet all weekend until now so I've been going nuckin futs trying to find out what happened. Looks like I'm losing it again too. Later guys and GREAT job! Wish I had been able to be there...

Got er Done

Well folks it's up and running, Thanks go to the whole crew that made this happen those with us physically and remotely this is a good thing we done this weekend. :thumbsup: Slim & his Dad showed up about 12:45 we were about ready to give it a whirl just waiting for the pieces & parts to make repairs to the coolant crossover and add fluids & such.

For Justin's truck I think we got to it before something really bad happened, the project really started a week ago last, when Justin showed up at a meet & greet & can signing in Grove City Pa when we saw Justin's truck puking oil out the CDR vent tube spraying oil all over the side of his truck.

Water found in the crankcase, pushed out all the oil, we did a dump & fill Justin did another dump & fill half way home that trip, he did not use any water on the return trip, I suspect what was happening that when he was running hard the clearance between head and block heated up and allowed the leak to become pronounced.

In our post repair debrief this afternoon, Justin shared with me that for a while he had run hot 210+ filled with water and within 50 miles was running hot again & out of water, but after our dump and flush the nite of the can signing truck was running great with exception of the other morning when it left him stranded, but then he was able to get it home. (more on that later).

We got the heads off and both front cyls were leaking some, but not a lot evidently, the oil that was drained from the 2nd dump/fill was black but looked & felt like "normal" oil. As I said earlier the intent was to drop front diff then pan, but just not enough hours in the day to do the "ideal" things.

This was what I'll call a field repair, you work with what you brung, and you have a deadline so make the best repair you can in the time alotted.

While there we renewed the 4x4 adapter orings to my pleasure no metal shavings or metal past was found in the sludge caught in the adapters void cavities in it's base, also a eduction on proper maintenance of grounds, all of them were loose, I showed Justin how to use a meter to verify electrically how to KNOW the grounds are good, not just by looking good, I suspect his dead engine the other day was the loose gnds at back of the engine passenger side (THE most important ones) that go to the PCM, which were just finger tight, the gnd that goes from body to engine was also rotted off, all are good now @.003 ohm exact reading as my DMM probes touched together.

We had a problem with the heater core supply quick disconnect it was rotten & snapped off, I tried to fracture-then cut it but it wasn't gonna give up easy, no 1/2 NPT tap to be found, Slim thought he had one & could bring it today, turns out he had a 3/8" NPT, but did bring a 5/8" drill bit that we used to drill out most of the old fitting and with a prick punch Slim picked out the remnants of the fitting using the new fitting as a tap with some Kroil (Thanks Joe) we chased the treads.

Cleaned off the Kroil and then applied a liberal coating of pipe dope to the threads,and snugged up the fitting tight, taught Justin how to make gaskets with a ball-peen hammer, and snugged it up. Added fluids, did a crank over a few times, then once with a few lines on injectors loose purging air from the IP, a distinct healthy 6.5 rattle emerged from Justin's "old girl".

We added 1 pint of sea-foam to the oil, let the truck come to operating temp ran good once air finally purged from the fuel system, did another oil dump and filter change, going to let Justin drive that for a week easy driving no towing or hard driving, dump and fill with new oil filter after that. I cut open the old oil filter after we flushed with sea-foam, it looked good no metal found there so this one I think we'll be okay on.

Jury out still on the 97 with low oil pressure, with the tech manual open we showed Justin what to be looking for and how to drop the pan, he going to pull a couple of rod caps and main caps, take pics and show us what he finds, also will cut open that oil filter on that one as well.

Guys I think every muscle in my body is sore, guess the years are catching up to me, it's been a while since I did a marathon wrenching session, but its a good ache. Again not enough can be said about the generosity of the "Family" here at DTR, the comedic relief of Wrecker & Stacks was missed the 2nd day into the job, it was very easy to feed off the comic relief they bring, sort of a cmedy catalyst that you see in the Smothers Brothers, Mutt/ Jeff, Ralph Cramden/Ed Norton, actually Friday nite it more akin to a session of the Blue Collar Comedy troupe all of us contributing something, or maybe at 01:00 everything seems funny.

In all seriousness, at the end for me it was almost a religious experience doing for another member in a bind, I hope this becomes the genesis of more good deeds done through DTR, though hard work, it really is a whole lot of fun you guys should regionally consider helping each other our in your regions, or madbe even pick a project in the neghborhood and turn it into a DTR meet & greet/can signing.

Thanks again folks for helping me/us have a weekend that will long live in my memory banks.

(Pics coming, I need to upload them)

Glad to read that you felt you caught it in time. That makes it all worth while to know that you were not looking into many more hours and more parts to find for the work. I hope I am able to help out the next time, it was just available this time but will start a rainy day fund just for things like this.
Thanks again everyone to know that the world does still have good caring people.
God bless everyone

Pictures

Attachments

• DCP03773.JPG
    DCP03773.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 61
  • DCP03780.JPG
    DCP03780.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 56
  • DCP03779.JPG
    DCP03779.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 56
  • DCP03778.JPG
    DCP03778.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 57
  • DCP03777.JPG
    DCP03777.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 58
  • DCP03776.JPG
    DCP03776.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 58
  • DCP03775.JPG
    DCP03775.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 59
  • DCP03774.jpg
    DCP03774.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 59
  • DCP03781.JPG
    DCP03781.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 56
  • DCP03782.jpg
    DCP03782.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 56
More pics

Attachments

• DCP03791.JPG
    DCP03791.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 69
  • DCP03790.jpg
    DCP03790.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 69
  • DCP03789.jpg
    DCP03789.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 67
  • DCP03788.JPG
    DCP03788.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 67
  • DCP03787.JPG
    DCP03787.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 62
  • DCP03786.jpg
    DCP03786.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 58
  • DCP03784.jpg
    DCP03784.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 56
  • DCP03783.jpg
    DCP03783.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 55
  • DCP03792.jpg
    DCP03792.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 66
  • DCP03793.JPG
    DCP03793.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 65
All I can say is I had a great time, and to hear Justins truck run was inspiring. I am proud to be a DTR member, there are no finer people than DTR members. Justin is also a great guy, keep it up Justin, things always get better, your luck has changed for the better, after this weekend, my phone is always on call when you want. :thumbsup:

On a second note: that isn't my gut hanging down in the photo just my shirt, that's my story and I am sticking to it, TD always has a way of getting a persons best side when taking photos.

Last edited:
***Update*** I just got off the phone from talking to Turbine Doc - the truck is all bolted back up, just finishing the Seafoam flush and drain, and the '94 will be good to go!

Slim Shady was there for a while (great to see you out and about, Slim!!) and things are pretty much all come together... TD is gonna attempt to render some diagnosis on the '97 before he leaves, so Justin knows what he's looking at next, and he'll be online later to post some pictures and tell us all about 'the REST of the story'...

I still don't have words to describe what I feel about all this, and about all everybody here has done to make this happen... but I feel it, and I'm proud to be part of it.

In a world that all too often doesn't seem to care, you guys made a dent.

It is great to be seen :thumbsup:, I have to be out there to show my miracle off :D, Things did, and are coming together slowly but surely. Thanks to the people at DTR, you guys know who you are without your support I wouldn't be out and about.

Am I Mutt or Jeff?

Edit: I truly wish I could have stayed for the fruition of hearing the 94 fire up. Instead I am in Cleveland, setting a wakeup call for 0500. Work sucks, if everybody would just buy more Amsoil, I could quit my day job):h:D.

This was a great thing, and I am proud to say I was a small part of it. I can't wait for the next call to action. Stacksram and I are mobile and hostile, let's fix some stuff!:thumbsup: We'll make you laugh, stink you out, and wrench some in between.

Sorry that we didn't get to see you, Dennis. We'll hook up, one of these days.

Well the GM4 on this truck has seen better days, one of you guys with a GM-8 left over following the ATT swap that you could let go cheap would do wonders for Justins truck. Could be another day trip for you guys to have a chance to meet.

Tim and or Justin,

I rebuilt my GM-4 after getting your GM-8 and it's good to go. Justin can have it if he needs it. It's just sitting here in the box you sent the GM-8 to me in.

That's great John, same problem with his as was with one of yours the WG shaft bushing is "wallered out" and its working but not as good as it can be, Justin hook up with John in PM and you'll have a turbo to replace the one on your truck.

Am I Mutt or Jeff?

Edit: I truly wish I could have stayed for the fruition of hearing the 94 fire up. Instead I am in Cleveland, setting a wakeup call for 0500. Work sucks, if everybody would just buy more Amsoil, I could quit my day job):h:D.

This was a great thing, and I am proud to say I was a small part of it. I can't wait for the next call to action. Stacksram and I are mobile and hostile, let's fix some stuff!:thumbsup: We'll make you laugh, stink you out, and wrench some in between.

Sorry that we didn't get to see you, Dennis. We'll hook up, one of these days.

We will hook up, I am honored to call you guys friends. I am in awe of this group of people, this was a great thing

LOL awesome. i will be using lines from this weekend forever.

we definitely have to try and get together again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back