• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The official "Help a Brother Out" documentation thread (pics, stories, laughs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VW_Lupo_TD

Reaction score
So here we go again - everyone is sleeping and I am doing image adjustments and resizing pics to upload and post for everyone's enjoyment.

I wanted to start a new thread here since this is the result of 15 pages of public planning that we could witness and I am sure endless hours of planning of the men behind the scenes - Pepper, TD, Unit453, etc etc. you know who you are.

props go out to you - you are the ones who made all this possible.
You empowered the rest of us to do our part.

Follow ups, comments, questions, stories should all follow here now....

----------------------------------------------------------------------

But let us start at the beginning.....

As I am working my way out of town north on I-71 I touch base with Tim and confirm his ETA just to find out he is already there - GREAT! I based my times on his arrival - it is 1600 hrs when I leave - and I immediately hit heavy traffic. I do not want to be the last guy that everyone is waiting for....

I make it to Mansfield, OH with the little bit of Diesel I have left so I hit the next Shell to fill up and be notified that "I am sorry, sir, but our network is down" after she tried to swipe every single one of my credit cards 74 times - GREAT!
I thought I can use the cash I have made the last couple of weekends to pay bills on Monday....

At this point I begin to think if maybe luck is not on my side and that this weekend might not turn out as good as I hoped, but maybe I was just too psyched when I left, so I keep on truckin and make my way up to 30 East to head on over to Canton where I finally meet Turbine Doc, 625fireman, Wrecker and Stacksram at the hotel.

The first couple of minutes were awkward - as always when you meet people you have never really met in person - but it only took Stacksram to do an impression of Joey from friends at some girl across the parking lot...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc2Z7CL4Cv0
and Wrecker reprimanding him to calm the heck down and not get all riled up just because his wife is at home and he is NOT - to break the tension, crack everyone up and let me guess it might be a fun night after all - it looked like a fun crowd to go on this type of mission with!

2437542330046859470S600x600Q85.jpg

The Impression of Joey became a running gag throughout the night even though I was apparently attending what some referred to as "Sausagefest" or "Wienerconvention" :D

Since it was around 1930 hrs by the time we finally got everyone together we headed out towards Deere's house right away, who was still unsuspecting of what was going on ):h

2765062620046859470S600x600Q85.jpg

So we rolled up and the Deere family was sitting on the porch expecting Turbine Doc and Wrecker. He was kind of weary as to what is going on as we occupied almost his entire driveway and started getting out to introduce ourselves (those that have not been introduced at least) - he got even more weary as Turbine Doc asked who the misses was and if she would please step up.....

As TD gives his speech on Help a Brother Out II, how all of this came together and how it was all planned for weeks right under his nose, Deere does not really know what to say....
He opened the Fedex envelope that TD handed him - he did not quite know what to think of it - and opened it slowly while still trying to figure out what all this means :confused:

2538858970046859470S600x600Q85.jpg

First thing to appear was some PF goldfish (almost the signature of Pepper - have you seen him sport a Polo shirt with the goldfish on it?) and some envelopes. He opened the first one and as he realized what was in it, he lost his speech and also the ability to hold the can of Busch light so the misses had to put it on the ground :D

2143048540046859470S600x600Q85.jpg

TD iterated a bit more about what all this was and who donated and we gave the two some time to find some words. Deere more or less stumbled through some wows and uuus and thanks ):h

You know the rest from the posts of Mr. and Mrs. Deere.....

However, by then I had gotten 23 calls and 74 text messages from Pepper reading "where da pics at" :mad2: so we know you guys were expecting some serious wrenching and we came meaning business !

2953141590046859470S600x600Q85.jpg

TD of course managed the entire project and we followed orders like a well oiled machine and attacked the truck from all sides at the same time to the awe of spectators .....

2015081530046859470S600x600Q85.jpg

We had some difficulties which mainly resulted from Stacksram eating a fiber bar earlier that day but to everyone's relief Deere's garage had two huge doors and there were no casualties ):h

2689196000046859470S600x600Q85.jpg

The intake was off in no time and with my extensive turbo in - turbo out experience wrenching with Slim Shady in March I took charge of the turbo removal while the others tackled their projects.

2815424490046859470S600x600Q85.jpg

Everyone was very coordinated and we immediately worked together as a team as if we had done this a hundred times. Crazy stories were told, jokes were made and there were plenty of laughs.

We also missed comrades who unfortunately could not be there (for me in particular it was:
Slim Shady - what is 65 wrenching without him?,
Pepper - who actually called to ask Tim if I was doing any wrenching, cause all I did at his house was eat :D
Grey Ghost aka "chef de cuisine" - boy would this wrenching mission have been heavenly if he had been here running the BBQ even if no one had been working but only eating or digesting ):h
Berk - you don't want to know what I think ):h
and all the other guys I have met in person and consider DTR family)
and those that write here often or maybe not so often - there was a guy that wanted to join us that had joined DTR that VERY day ! ;-)
While wrenching we shared all our stories about YOU ! Those who could not be there and kind of where there nonetheless reading along know thinking - "those crazy sons of bit**es" and are smiling :thumbsup:

2526833410046859470S600x600Q85.jpg

But back on topic - when we finally pulled of the valve covers we found some sludge....

2061666510046859470S600x600Q85.jpg

2144865180046859470S600x600Q85.jpg

but the major roadblock we were facing was trying to repair Wreckers jack that required the expertise of every expert in the room :D

2494205150046859470S600x600Q85.jpg

With our combined knowledge we got a handle on that pretty quick and attempted to drop the front differential so TD could inspect the bottom end of the engine to make sure we are not looking at an engine not worth fixing anymore.

2573857640046859470S600x600Q85.jpg

This proved to be rather difficult since Deeres truck had a front diff that was extremely complicated to remove and we were looking at an additional 4-5 hours if we would go that route so we decided we will just pull the heads and see what happens....

Pulling the heads was the job for only ONE

2887220160046859470S600x600Q85.jpg

NO, not because brute strength was required but because the truck was still on jacks and nobody else could look over the fenders anymore !!!! :D

But the boys found some buckets and could remove the head bolts after I broke them loose :thumbsup:

2454366050046859470S600x600Q85.jpg

We only had to do it twice on one side since someone forgot to remove a row of bolts ):h

2407611690046859470S600x600Q85.jpg

By this time it must have been past midnight already and the boss called for us to get cracking and get the heads off so we could call it quits for the day.
His orders were followed and we lifted the heads out of the engine bay to reveal our end result for the day :

2203412350046859470S600x600Q85.jpg

2525527240046859470S600x600Q85.jpg

625fireman was going to drive all the way back home and could not join us for the rest of the mission on Saturday so he signed the obligatory oil can...

2747932330046859470S600x600Q85.jpg

So did I since I have never had the honor and as I was signing, this is how that moment looked from my perspective :

2078627440046859470S600x600Q85.jpg

What other way to end the night / morning than with a visit to Waffle House, where we rested a bit while having a healthy meal ;-) and used the time to wind down.....

2741368810046859470S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:
God Bless you guys, I just got home from Ground Zero, remembering and praying with friends and found Lupo's update....Can't think of a better way to end another 9 11.

Thanks for the pics and the progress report Lupo......What irony....showing up to "Help a Brother out" on a day(s), when this whole country pulled together.

Kudos/Props/Blessings to the traveling tool crew!

Thanks again you guys made my night.

Great Job

You guys are the best ! You made Paul and all the members of DTR proud to be of help to a worthy cause. I am another person that wishes he could have helped more by being there. But it looks like there were enough hands to do the wrenching. Great job Lupo for the pics. If I maybe of help on this project and any in the future let me know. May God Bless You All .
Steve

4:45 AM here and I wake up thinking to myself what happened in Ohio last night so here I am reading. Glad all is going well and look forward to the periodic updates as you go. One question I have is how many are actually there wrenching on the truck or trucks?

back to work! boy, it was a short night. but i know you guys were anxious for the write up and the pics ....

Excellent work guys...It makes me proud to be a part of this community, to see people that hardly know one another (except through a computer screen for the most part) rally around such a worthy cause as this...I really wish I could've been there...it feels like I am with you guys though ...thanks to Nick's(VWLupo)handy work with a camera and his silver tongue...

keep us updated if you get the chance or Nick will get another 23 call and 74 more text messages :D

This is great! I got in bed at around 1:30 and this morning as I was making coffee, this was the first thing I thought about. I couldnt wait to see the pictures.

I'm glad we made Justin's day. I couldnt think of a better day (9/11) to do it either. Nick, great job on the pics and commentary.

You guys are simply amazing - great pics, Nick! I wish I could be there, but I feel like I was there with you, somehow - part of me, anyway. You guys are the pointy end of a stick that's held out by a lot of people on this site.

Bless you all... everybody who has been following along with this and thinking about Justin and his family, this really IS what it's all about.

It was great to be there. Justin's look when we convoyed in was priceless. Then when they open the FED EX it was great. The wrenchin session fri nite went very well as Nick noted earlier. It was really nice to finallly put some "Charecter" and faces to the names. As was stated it is very hard sometimes to decifer humur when it is typed. Now that I have meet and worked with them it will be even more enjoyable to read the postings. I am just sorry I could not be there for the whole process. But Justins rides are in VERY capable hands. It was a honor to be a small part of this.

You guys a great buch of fellas, i hope you all know that. I hope you get the truck up and kickin for him. Great job to all involved.

How you doin'?

Stacksram and I made it home safe and sound. Hope to hear good news tomorrow and see some smoke roll from that big black Christmas Tree.

Tim, Nick and Joe are great guys, we had a really good time.

We had to leave today, family stuff. When we left we had just strapped the heads down, Slim Shady is bringing either a coolant crossover tube or the tap that we needed to replace that stupid plastic/metal snap connector. Waiting for smoke.

Should of spoke up yesterday.......I picked up the new replacment a couple of weeks ago.....I would of did an overnight FedEx before 10:00 am deal for you guys.

Slim is on the way.......Traveling tool team #2!........How cool is that?

So the patient is gonna live....What did the "Doctor" say the diagnosis was on the 94.....Heads, Head gasket(s)?......Or should we wait for the "Official VW Lupo TD illustrated progress report"?

Maybe just give us the short version? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back