• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The Boat Thread

MrMarty51

Reaction score
My son went 80 miles north and bought this boat. It looks pretty good and the hull is solid as new.
He got it homw and hooked it to the garden hose and fired it up, He thought it sounded quite good and so had no fear of dragging it about two hundred miles and spend the weekend helping on the friends cabin and boating around the lake.
All went well until he launced it into the water, had a rough time getting it to start, then it was loaded up. He got t cleared out, put it into reverse and backed away from the shore, put it into forwards gear, give it some throttle and immediately it was headed into the beach. Steering shaft in the cross tube had seaized up.
Back onto the trailer and then drove the 40 or so miles around the lake to get to the cabin.
I arrived later in the afternoonh and We messed with it some and it was getting close to time to eat so We set it aside and fired up the grill.
come Saturday, messed around, got breakfast, helped Al with some maintenance on the cabin and got that finished and relaxed for a while.
i told the son, here, You take this hammer, I`m going to put some pressure on that steering wheel and You hit this shaft right here. And so We did, and so, about the third rap that he did I told Him, You have to hit that thing, Bang, bang, bang and the steering popped free. A lot of brake and parts cleaner, and wiping and, some oil and some grease and a bunch more working the steering forth and back and finally got it so it was real nice and free. Back around to the marina He went, launched the boat and came across. he was having some issues with it but We run it anyhow, even though it did not have enough torque to come onto plane, it was still fun.
Pics of the boat when he got it to town.DD28145B-5B6D-4FB9-9338-34A403B0117F.jpegE56AECA7-2398-4531-BFCD-F22808E910C8.jpeg

Last edited:
A phew pics of the cabin, the lake and boating.
The engine on this boat is acting mighty tired, 70 Horse, which to me is already underpowered, and so, the boat would not quite get on plane, causing a terrible back wash into the transom housing at the back end. Bilge pump was in full force due to a leak on this one little cup affair that the steering rod travels into in order to be able to turn to the left.
Anyhow, the cabin, crew and lake.
South side of the cabin and the cooking crew. LOLCabin1.jpg

Te east side of the cabin and part of the deck.

Cabin2.jpg

The bay below the cabin. Quite a set of steps and ramps getting down to that level. next trip over I`ll try to get some pics of those.

cabin3.jpg
Reece on the tube.

Cabin4.jpg
Reece in the boat
Cabin5.jpg

Grand daughter drive a boat for the very first time, while My son rides the tube. She give Him quite a ride even for as slow as that beast is. LOL

Cabin6.jpg

Quite a trail getting in and out of there.

Cabin10.jpg

Almost back to the dam, still about eight miles to the marina and the boat launch. I`ll get some enjun pics tomorrow and throw them out here too.

Cabin9.jpg

Long as I am on the subject of the boat and such, i`ll throw in these pics too.
This is that cup affair thing that the steering shaft and link rod travels into, on the left side of the transom, I aint no sailor but I think that is called the port side.
I type in what is going to be typed and then have to go to the phone to get the pics.Seems that either verizon or century link dont like it when i send pics to the computer via email, so, it is type, then, post, then edit and add pics. LOL A lot easier than trying to post frum the phoney. LOL

That black spot is the hole that let in a lot of gallons of water from the backwash of the engine, I think it was the engine creating the big back wash.

7784254D-8FCA-486A-AEFC-93466E99AF58.jpeg

E6D8FF3E-2BD8-467D-BFA7-65BF103D13E1.jpeg

Patched it with a piece of that aluminized heat duct tape and spin it 180 degrees so that the spot with the hole will be forwards and towards the top. It didnt seem that the water was getting that far forward or that high.
Going to grind off some threads off that link rod too so there will be a little more clearance to that cup thingy.
If someone knows what that thing is called please post its name, maybe I can find a new one.

226C94B5-25BA-482B-9478-8E0DB00D992E.jpeg

Last edited:
If the outboard does not have foils that attach to the horizontal fins (just above the prop), might consider getting a pair. This is usally very effective at helping motors which are at the threshold of usefulness. The fins will not add enough power to jerk a slolim skiier, but it should help get the boat up on plane. Also, a lot less expensive than a bigger outboard :D At the risk of insulting, another trick for getting up on plane is to have the heavier passengers move up to the bow for launch, and then move back to the cabin area once up on plane.

For which side of the boat is which, correct in that the 'left' side is port. Easy way to remember is that port and left each have four letters. Related, for night operations (presuming the boat has working nav lights), the key to knowing which side of the other craft you see is that 'port wine is red'.

For naming that piece on the boat's transom where the steering cable protrudes, it is called: manufacture laziness. My take is that the manufacturer should have designed the transom which allowed for water to enter without concern of flooding into the bilge. So, 'cup' will work just fine.

It looks like, at one time, there had been something fastened to the fin around the lower unit, above the prop. There is four holes drilled through and nothing attached. i thought maybe a planing fin or a trolling plate.
it will be getting one of those real soon. Maybe not before winter but, before next spring for sure.
I was also thinking of them trim tabs that mounts to the lower back end of the hull. A friend has a set of those on His G3 jet boat and it planes up at a very slow speed. There are the ones that are just set and forget, and, the ones that can be adjusted on the fly, for about five or six hundred bucks, probably will not be that set. LOLOLOL
I like the explanation of how to tell one side of the boat from the other. LOL

One more thought. The prop might have too much pitch.

Getting a prop with the correct pitch usually takes some trial-and-error.

Could not tell whether the starboard (right for land-lubbers ;) ) most gauge is a tach or knot meter. If it is a tach, find out the motor's redline and get a prop that takes you to a little under that point.

While on the topic of props, consider keeping a spare onboard as running out of depth is grounds for immediate replacement (read: the same as running the 6.5 with a blown harmonic damper). If there is any ding in the prop and somebody has to get back home with it that way, it is limp-home time with power to no more than hull speed (probably 3 - 4 knots in that boat).

And need to clarify the weight transfer method of getting on plane. Start with all passengers in the cabin section (aft (rearward) of the wind screen) prior to applying power. Once moving and when the bow starts to go high, then move some weight up front to push the bow back down. Reason for starting with the weight rearward is that by placing too much weight in the bow while under hull speed, the boat will likely want to plow (versus ride on top) and not allow the motor to get into its power band; this also vectors the thrust upward (toward the surface) which compounds the effect. Best thing is to play around a bit to learn this boat / motor's characteristics.

Oh, and get some sunblock for your granddaughter ;)

Check to see if there is a grease fitting for the steering shaft.

On take off make sure the motor is trimmed all the way down and once it’s going you might can play with the trim to help get it on plane. Once it’s on plane you can trim it on up to get more speed out of it.

That boat would probably do best with a 4 blade prop since its being used to pull ski-biscuits and probably skiers. You'll loose some top end speed but the 4 blade prop will grab the water better on take off and help get you on plane faster and help keep you on plane.

Nice action on the lake Marty, that is some on the lake with family and friends.

Looks like some kids got a bad sunburn. I have been there before, stayed in the sun when I was a kid, was often called the coppertone boy because below my belt was white as snow and the rest of my body was tan.

Not no more I am paying for it. All kinds of sun spots on my arms. In 2018 I had some basail cell cut out below my left eye. I don't go outside working with anything less than a 50 or 70 sunblock on.

Good luck on getting the boat fixed.

The childrens was applying sun block constantly, something about a 50 blocker. I told Her that there is higher numbers and she was persistent that there was some other affects from going higher than 50.
There is a new prop in the boat, I dont know the specifics of it but that will be on there before it goes back out, then We shall see what it actually is. It is a lot bigger than the three blade stainless thats on there now. I`ll pop off that stainless and see if there is any markings on the back side of it. Nothing visible on the outside of it.

I was fearing a hole in a piston and remembered I have this prehistoric bore scope, got it out and the tube bearely fits through the sparking plug hole, but got to glance around on the piston and it does not appear to be a hole in it. I will see if I can find someone that has a nice bore scope them maybe I can even see the cylinder walls. I am now thinking it could be busted rings or even a broken or bad reed valve.
Thats about as far as I got in it for yesterday, other than repairing the aft light that is on the pole, the white one. I had it plugged into the socket, pulled the boat from the garage and forgot the light was there. either from going out, or coming back in, that mast broke off right at the socket level.
Not a problem getting it unplugged, then, hacksawing the broke off stub lengthwise and spreading the cut apart to remove the connector affair. Used a tube cutter and sawed off the tube a couple of inches, a utility knife to deburr the inside of the tube, drilled a hole for the locating screw so it can plug into the socket only one way, tapped the electrical connector back into the tube then staked it in with a sharp center punch. It now looks like nothing at all had happened to it. LOL
I`ll see about dragging the boat to the machine shop and see if they have a decent bore scope to check out that cylinder.
I`ll also go in through the carb hole and see if I can get a visual of the reed valves too.
Carb kit is suppose to be here Saturday, then we shall fire this thing up and see what can be done to decarbonize it. Get Me two or three cans of seafoam and give that a shot with the enjun a running. LOL

Did I misunderstand that you did compression test on it?

Is that a 2 stroke?
Yes, and, yes.
Top cylinder no. 1 was 100 PSI, bottom cylinder, No. 3 was 125 PSI and center cylinder no. 2 was 000 PSI. It would just budge the compression testers gauge..
I did remove and give the prop a once over. It has some numbers which are mostly wore off, the end of the line said 13 and then thee was a like a half a circle just beyond that. I see that there are variances of the 13 propeller listed, like 13 and 3/8ths etc, but, with as high as this circle was it would not have been an 8 and there is no sizes with a 9 so I am guessing it is just a 13.
The spare prop that came with the boat is an incomplete unit, it needs a thing called a hub kit for it to fit the splines.
I`ll get one of those a coming.
OH YEAH, the new prop is made by Michigan Wheel and the name on it is Vortex. Number 14. looks like it would bite a whole lot more water than the old propeller. LOL

Reactions: red
So why mess with a carburetor if compression is completely wacked?
Going to get it warmed up then do a decarbonize procedure on it and see if that helps, possibly a stuck ring from carbon.
I now know there is no hole in a piston so the other choices would be galled cylinder walls, a broke ring or two or a cracked cylinder. Carb kit was only twelve bucks so I decided to give it a go. If it will make it to the end of the boating season, the son would be happy, then, maybe work on picking up a newer model engine, or at least something more popular that parts are made for it. LOL
Just cant throw in the towel just yet. LOLOLOL

Marty, really and truly I was not trying to be DR. OZ or the CDC on the sunblock for the kids..... 😉

Some people can handle the sun better than others. I can recall way back years ago when my Dad would lay out in the sun and apply baby oil and iodine to his skin to get a tan. Years later there I was laying in the sun, same place, different lotions, Hawaiian Tropic, Banana Boat, Coppertone and such. I wanted to get a tan before I went to the beach and messed with the Babes...... :D

Fast forward to today. My Dad has to constantly go to the Dermatologist. He has had the blue light treatment on his face several times. Well, I guess he is paying for all those years of lounging in the sun.

I use to go once a year to the Dermatologist, but I am on the 6 month plan since 2018.

Top cylinder no. 1 was 100 PSI, bottom cylinder, No. 3 was 125 PSI and center cylinder no. 2 was 000 PSI. It would just budge the compression testers gauge..

Well, this certainly changes the picture. Prop might have the correct pitch after all.

. . . the aft light that is on the pole, the white one.

Arrrr Matey! Dat thar be da stern light ;)

Can also double as an anchor light if it extends above all the other rigging and the switch has a setting which only turns on the stern light and not the red and green nav lights.

Marty, really and truly I was not trying to be DR. OZ or the CDC on the sunblock for the kids..... 😉

Some people can handle the sun better than others. I can recall way back years ago when my Dad would lay out in the sun and apply baby oil and iodine to his skin to get a tan. Years later there I was laying in the sun, same place, different lotions, Hawaiian Tropic, Banana Boat, Coppertone and such. I wanted to get a tan before I went to the beach and messed with the Babes...... :D

Fast forward to today. My Dad has to constantly go to the Dermatologist. He has had the blue light treatment on his face several times. Well, I guess he is paying for all those years of lounging in the sun.

I use to go once a year to the Dermatologist, but I am on the 6 month plan since 2018.
Not much for beaches or babes in this neighbor hood when I was a youngster, We run around shirtless in the 100 degrees and would blister tan. LOLOLOL A painful way to get a tan for sure. No one could afford what was available for sun tan lotion at the time so, just get out in it and in the beginning of the season, We learned to recognize when the red was red enough and go for the shurts, LOL
The grand daughter was constantly rubbing the lotion onto Her skin, even when she was in the shade of the deck. She said the stuff she has is waterproof but, even though, She was constantly applying the stuff. I dont know why Her face got so red and I did tell Her so she would rub in some more. LOL I will get into My scuba gear and get out the sun lorion I have for that, I think it is called Frog or beaver Lotion or some such, it truly is water proof, for longer than the over the counter stuff.
Well, this certainly changes the picture. Prop might have the correct pitch after all.

Arrrr Matey! Dat thar be da stern light ;)

Can also double as an anchor light if it extends above all the other rigging and the switch has a setting which only turns on the stern light and not the red and green nav lights.
I`ll have to check and see if there is a separate switch for that "Stern Light" I never knew that about them, I just knew that the white lite to the back end and thats about all. Being raised on the plains and hills where the only water was the Yellowstone River We didnt need to learn much about boats, except they cost a lot to keep them mooooving.
When We were children, 99% of our time was at the river. One day some guys showed up with a boat and launched it in, they forgot something and had to leave, they asked us if We would watch their boat for them and not to mess with it, We agreed, when they returned they gave is a ride, probably a mile total, and, what a thrill that was. LOL That set a mighty nice impression in Our minds. That, and, the first time I got to ride on the back of My cousins old Pirelli motorcycle. LOL
Just a waiting for that carb kit, I hope it would be here before Saturday, but, there was no tracking on it, only guaranteed delivery by Saturday the 15th.
Get this taken care of then, get the truck into the shed and remove the radiator and clean the cooling stack, see if I can bring down them operating temps a bit.

Not all manufacturers put in a 3 way switch, so the boat might not have the anchor light option. It is more common in boats which might get overnight use. Seeing as this boat does not look all that comfortable for overnight sleeping, it probably has a two way switch.

And something I learned about sunblock lotions, if they are a year old, they are trash. A few years ago I got a nice burn from some sunblock that a family member gave me; turned out it was very old stock and offered by way of a clean-out. Now I know better, nicely thank that family member for the donations, and secretly dump it in the trash :) Even the stuff that I buy, I find that last year's batch loses a lot of its effectiveness.

Not all manufacturers put in a 3 way switch, so the boat might not have the anchor light option. It is more common in boats which might get overnight use. Seeing as this boat does not look all that comfortable for overnight sleeping, it probably has a two way switch.

And something I learned about sunblock lotions, if they are a year old, they are trash. A few years ago I got a nice burn from some sunblock that a family member gave me; turned out it was very old stock and offered by way of a clean-out. Now I know better, nicely thank that family member for the donations, and secretly dump it in the trash :) Even the stuff that I buy, I find that last year's batch loses a lot of its effectiveness.
Guess I better get in that dive gear and discard that sunblocker stuff, I know it is at least 12 years old, but, it has been kept out of the sun, does that help ? LOLOLOL

Back