• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The Boat Thread

Sorry to hear about the engine. I would look at the economics of repower or cutting losses. At 70hp IMO it is underpowered for more than cruising. IMO probably 115hp would have been better suited for that boat min. Below 115hp would be a long drag on a skier. A healthy 70hp would plane run a bit over 25 mph and pull a tube and kneeboard fine. ~90hp might be a compromise and might could pull a kid skier but it is going to be a longer drag and would need to be lightly loaded.

Consider a tow harness to even the pull on the hull that would help just a bit.

Sorry to hear about the engine. I would look at the economics of repower or cutting losses. At 70hp IMO it is underpowered for more than cruising. IMO probably 115hp would have been better suited for that boat min. Below 115hp would be a long drag on a skier. A healthy 70hp would plane run a bit over 25 mph and pull a tube and kneeboard fine. ~90hp might be a compromise and might could pull a kid skier but it is going to be a longer drag and would need to be lightly loaded.

Consider a tow harness to even the pull on the hull that would help just a bit.
Yeah man. The maximum rated HP is a 115, but, if it is a Force it is rated for 120. I guess if I can find a 120 horse evinrude or Mercury I`ll be going for that. If the son wants a four stroke, I`ll pitch in what I can to help Him but He will be on his own for the biggest share.

I have never really worked on a 2 stroke outboard. I don't know might could put a piston in that Force since you can wrench. I wouldn't want to pay to repair it.

If you repower go with Susuki, Mercury, or Yamaha might be your long term solution go for best deal you can find. Unfortunately, he is going to be upside down.

Wika....
On May 27, 2020, BRP announced that they would be retiring the Evinrude brand and would exit the outboard boat motor market [4]

I have never really worked on a 2 stroke outboard. I don't know might could put a piston in that Force since you can wrench. I wouldn't want to pay to repair it.

If you repower go with Susuki, Mercury, or Yamaha might be your long term solution go for best deal you can find. Unfortunately, he is going to be upside down.

Wika....
On May 27, 2020, BRP announced that they would be retiring the Evinrude brand and would exit the outboard boat motor market [4]
Thats what I told Kelly, if need be pop the head and intake and slap a set of rings in there and run it until the bottom end pops. LOL
I`m sure that when he repowers it will be a 75 horse mercury. He is talking of a Fi four stroke. That should be nice and quiet and get better fuel per hour consumption. I wonder though, if He would allow Me to put straight pipes on it, or, maybe stacks. LOLOLOL
Thats too bad about Evinrude, they have always been a very good power plant.

The carburetor is together, on and adjusted. Throttle setting adjusted so that by going full throttle it does not shove the throttle plate towards the closed position, like it was doing.
The son stopped by with a set of new plugs, an aerosol can of Mercury power tune decarbon solution and a can of Seafoam Deep Creep, he will be coming over today sometime, We will take the boat to a no boats allowed pond, leave it hitched to the trailer for a quick get away, joke, and run the engine and get it warmed up real good and try the decarbon tactics, starting with the deep creep and then using about 1/2 of the Power Tune, then, let it set over night and repeat the process tomorrow finishing off the Power Tune and installing new plugs then see how it runs after that, and, doing a compression test, again, to see if anything has improved in that defartment. LOL
We could run it with the water muff attached but then We would not be getting a full power pull on the engine to see what RPMs it will pull under somewhat of a load.

If the rings being unstuck doesn’t seem to fix it, try a bottle of “Restore”.
I have seen a few different tests on it done that shows it works for cylinder wear. Haven’t seen any negative side effects reported from it.

Dang, didnt try the restore stuff.
Took the boat out onto a very small pond on the edge of downtown. The carb kit and adjusted timing sure improved the starting and performance. Old boat got right up on plane and sounded real good, even at idle, real smooth and no bog when the throttle was snapped open. Run two cans of that mercury stuff through it and a 1/2 a can of seafoam in the fuel tank. Had a blast going round in circles. LOL
Got the boat home, stuck the compression tester on the no.2 cylinder and, just as before, barely bounce the gauge, maybe one or two pounds. LOL
Popped off the head, bad and deep gouge in the cylinder, beyond a bore job depth. :banghead: And so, going to try something that may or may not have ever been tried. Going to clean out that gouge real good and run a bead within it, then, dress it some and get the block bored. The cylinders do not appear to be cast iron so maybe, just maybe it might work to last a couple of years or so.
Cant see it too good, the gouge is in the middle of that lower port.
boat1.jpg

Reed valves all look good.

boat2.jpg

Where the reed valves mount, three cylinder.
boat3.jpg

Got most the bolts removed to lift the power head, have a phew wires to disconnect and a couple of wire clamps then, it`ll be drag out the hoist and haul the enjun out of there. LOL

Ok, that is the cylinder at zero, What about the cylinder at half compression ?
1 was at 100 and 3 was at 125. 3 had some erosion around the top of the pistn and rings is thin, 1 had a cracked ring but no real damage to the piston or cylinder wall. That one will clean up with less than a .030 bore job.
How about a sleeve? Might talk to LA sleeves about it
Going to do some checking into that too. I’ll do some search for LA Sleeves.
I’m not sure if anyone on this town can bore this block. Its weird at the bottom of the cylinders, a step in from each side and a slit where the rod passes through.
Same piston, other side.
C8EB9CE8-48C2-4C30-A507-1989578CE073.jpeg

E715CB25-75E7-49DA-9AFD-306913FE6E59.jpeg

Do research like Les said sleeve soundS economical. They may have recommendations for machining.

I figured the piston was buggered. A bit surparised the wrist pin didn’t knock. I dunno how much do u want to spend for how long? Used engine vs clean it up and rebuild $900. eBay kit. With just clean that bore up and new pistons and rings all around might get you 3/4 -5/6 of the 70 hp for a couple seasons. 55-60 hp would pull tube and knee board if it planed on 2 cylinders Or wait til winter and see what a used engine runs or even one that needs work.

This year was big for boating as COVID reduced travel. Don’t know what that might mean for winter deals????

I’ve repistoned a gualled bore but it was more skirt gual than ring seal area. Ran fine for a couple years.

Don’t know about 2 stroke. Might not have same success???

By the way I don’t think it’s illegal to exceed the recommended HP for hull Sticker . Will just reduce cargo and void warranty I think. 4 stroke might be heavier anyway.

Do research like Les said sleeve soundS economical. They may have recommendations for machining.

I figured the piston was buggered. A bit surparised the wrist pin didn’t knock. I dunno how much do u want to spend for how long? Used engine vs clean it up and rebuild $900. eBay kit. With just clean that bore up and new pistons and rings all around might get you 3/4 -5/6 of the 70 hp for a couple seasons. 55-60 hp would pull tube and knee board if it planed on 2 cylinders Or wait til winter and see what a used engine runs or even one that needs work.

This year was big for boating as COVID reduced travel. Don’t know what that might mean for winter deals????

I’ve repistoned a gualled bore but it was more skirt gual than ring seal area. Ran fine for a couple years.

Don’t know about 2 stroke. Might not have same success???

By the way I don’t think it’s illegal to exceed the recommended HP for hull Sticker . Will just reduce cargo and void warranty I think. 4 stroke might be heavier anyway.

A South Carolina Game Warden told me and my daddy a few years back that as long as you don’t go more than about 15% over the hull sticker most Game Wardens won’t mess with you. I don’t know what they could do to you for having a bigger motor than the hull sticker says though. Daddy might have asked him but I don’t remember if he did.

@schiker
This make, Force, and HP, 70 was made for only four years, no other power head mates to this lower, it was a one of a kind unit. i have looked at craigslist adds from Wisconsin to Washington State and they are non existent.
I told the son, lets just pick up something a little newer that more parts is available for, He wants to go for rebuild this, then We know whut We gots, versus, buy a different used engine and risk having to do the same thing to it. Guess as long as we can get the parts it will all be good.
I did find a website that has the parts for the lower unit, so I may look into rebuilding that too.

After the son told Me the legalities of over powering a hull, I looked it up, USCG has their rules and statements but nothing legally binding. It would be up to the individual states to set their rulings and Montana does not mention about the laws of over powering and what the legal actions would be if they did deem someone had done an over power. I guess as long as a person was not being drunk or stupid they`d not say much.
Insurance would be the stickler, if there was a wreck and some injuries, they then might not have to be responsible for bills concerning someone getting injured.

Given this boat, am not sure that I'd go over the power rating if there are plans to keep it. Especially now that we know the PO did not take such good care of it and we are still in discovery mode in terms of its health.

With a healthy 70 hp on the transom and some foils on the lower unit, it should have enough oomph to pull a skier up. Should scoot pretty well too.

Back