• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The Boat Thread

The gasket that bolts to the bottom of that engine adapter plate is suppose to be here today, sometime.
Weird, about two days after ordering a bearing for the gear box, I ordered this gasket.
The bearing is coming out of Wisconsin, the gasket from Florida. The gasket is already here in town this morning, the bearing wont be here until Tuesday. A full four days behind the gasket, a six day spread between the two and, it is a LOT farther to Florida than it is to Wisconsin.
The bearing sat for three days after the label was made and USPS was notified to pick up the package. LOL

It makes smoke, lots and lots of smoke with the 25:1 break in mix. Book says run six gallons of that. Easier for us to do ten gallons, make sure it is good and broke in before weining it off of oil, most the oil anyhow. 😹😹😹
A short video of it fired up.

We traveled 83 miles to the east. A small size pond that is big enough to het a good run.
The engine operated very nicely, well, with a 25: 1 mix on oil, it ran pretty good.
Got enough time on the rebuild to think it is well on its way to be broke in.
Next trip out will be the 50: 1 mix and I think it will be a little more responsive.

We traveled 83 miles to the east. A small size pond that is big enough to het a good run.
The engine operated very nicely, well, with a 25: 1 mix on oil, it ran pretty good.
Got enough time on the rebuild to think it is well on its way to be broke in.
Next trip out will be the 50: 1 mix and I think it will be a little more responsive.

Idk boat engines, but all others engines when they get broke in - running at a set rpm is no good.
So remember to vary the rpm while out there breaking it in, unless they say specifically not to for some reason.

And suspect that power during break-in should peak at ~75% rather than WOT.

Nice thing about a boat is that maintaining 75% power for a long time is easy thanks to parasitic drag :)

Yup, the engine owners hand book gives detailed instructions for break in. Fuel mix, no load for a certain amount of time, then varying load from idle to 1/4, idle to 3/4, idle to 1/2 and idle to full throttle, never running a constant RPM for an extended time.
We had run about six gallons of fuel before I started doing videos, too busy watching and listening. Break in was for 6 gallons mixed at 25:1 ratio.
We had 12 gallons mixed at the 25:1 and had most of that run out by the time we were ready to leave the pond. It definetely runs for a lot longer period of time on six gallons than what it did before the OH.
The transom is tough now, no flex at all. No leaks too, might have been a half a cup of water in the bilge.

Now the sad part, the project of the boat is finished and wondering what next to do, besides get the garage cleaned out, tools and supplies stowed, going to make room to get the boat back in though, I want to check headbolt and crank cover bolt torque, leave it in for a few days to dry out then put on the covers and boot it out into the soon to come cold cruel winter. LOL
I think next thing to come might be the mower tractor, mount up that snow blower that it came with, cant have equipment just setting around like its a vacation. LOL

The boat is back in the garage.
When We had it in the pond the other day, notices that the carpet was getting soaked in one area, between the transom box and the side of the hull.
There is a cover over that side, We could not get to any part of it except for to remove a spaeker, got the speaker removed then reaching up and feeling what was holding on that cover, thought maybe a couple of pop rivets.
Thjat was wrong, wound up tearing off that section. It is 2/8ths plywood, the two retainers was screws that has some kind of prongs hanging off the thread side of the head, to be sunk into the plywood and anchored there so the buts could be screwed down.
I`ll need to do some shopping to find some new ones of those, maybe the local ace hardware store.
The source of the leak it turns out is some bolts that are not sealed, holding on the swim ladder.
I`ll get them sealed and reinstalled today, if I can manage to hold the nuts while turning the bolts heads, or, vice versea. LOL
I`ll get some pics after I gets out there. LOL

I hope we got the back end all sealed up.
The PO had attempted to remove the panel that we took off. Could not tell if it was screws and nuts or huck rivets holding it on. Finished destroying the panel getting it off. Then I clipped the devices and got them removed from their holes in the hull.
Yesterday the sonny boy came over and we got all the bolts and holes sealed up. He had that lexan glue crap all over his one arm. By the time he got done in that cubby hole, between the glue sticking to his arm and the carpet, it had pulled all the hair from his forearm. 😳 looked mighty red and sore too. Leaving the boat in the garage for a fee more days, after we tilted the engine down, more water run from out of it. Wanna make sure it is good and dry before kicking it out into the cold.
We would like to take it out for one more shake down run to ensure that we have got the actual leaks stopped up but, with the warmest day in sight as being mid 40s, it probably wont happen this year now.
We will leave that panel off until we can determine that them bolt holes was the source of water intrusion. 🤷‍♂️😹

Back