• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The Boat Thread

Take an old honda (or anything) 4cylinder from a junkyard, add dry sump oil kit. Silicone some stuff like distributor, Turn it on it’s side. Bam! Low cost great power and reliability along with mpg, mega parts availability.

There has to be some good backyard crap like that going on.
Ten thousand dollars for a gas 90 hp engine- holy macaroni!

Easier said than done. They have custom designed intakes and exhausts as well as electrical systems. Ask yourself why is it that Leroy needs a 200 unit committed production run just to make some profit off some stupid little timing gears? These are not Thailand ghetto outboards:

1598286345108.png

Or this......

Maybe the above picture just needs a large plastic cover?
Now, dude’s engine in that video- that could be worth the 10 grand! That was awesome!
I don’t do boats- but I’m thinking he is a touch over 90 hp? Haha.
I see your point though.

Maybe the above picture just needs a large plastic cover?If
Now, dude’s engine in that video- that could be worth the 10 grand! That was awesome!
I don’t do boats- but I’m thinking he is a touch over 90 hp? Haha.
I see your point though.

As in let's hold onto 400 hp and 900 lbs torque with a pole and use a cord for accelerator. Hold my f'n IPA, I've got this.

While you guys are talking about boats, some of them powerful. Way back about 35 years ago I worked with this guy that had a speedboat with a 454. He talked me into going to the lake with him and another one of his buddies. We cruised the lake trying to find some babes that day, but the most exciting moment was when I jumped on one of those tubes with the handles. Boat owner was hauling arse with me on that tube I was holding on for all I could, doing fine until he made a big turn and sling shotted me off that tube. I don't know how fast I was skipping on the water but it almost tore my swim trunks off and it felt like the water had peeled the hide off of me. I told him that I think that's enough abuse for this ole boy, I will just ride in the boat the rest of the day.

Last edited:
While you guys are talking about boats, some of them powerful. Way back about 35 years ago I worked with this guy that had a speedboat with a 454. He talked me into going to the lake with him and another one of his buddies. We cruised the lake trying to find some babes that day, but the most exciting moment was when I jumped on one of those tubes with the handles. Boat owner was hauling arse with me on that tube I was holding on for all I could, doing fine until he made a big turn and sling shotted me off that tube. I don't know how fast I was skipping on the water but it almost tore my swim trunks off and it felt like the water had peeled the hide off of me. I told him that I think that's enough abuse for this ole boy, I will just ride in the boat the rest of the day.

You in any of these shots.....

Last but not least, years later after the speedboat deal, I worked with a guy that had a Mastercraft ski boat. I went to the lake a bunch with him, my cousin and some local guys and gals. I can't remember the exact amount but one time about 4 or 5, maybe 6, of us guys got behind that Mastercraft boat on knee boards. We all got on shoreline and he would jerk us out into the water starting off. We had a blast. Naturally when one person crashed everyone had to abort and then we would take off out of the water.

Grand daughter was here early yesterday morning.
She hung around and I asked if she would like to take me to a couple of places. First was to the machine shop and had them polish the bearing/seal surface on the drive shaft. It was quite rough but took only a half a thousandths to clean it up. There is a caged needle roller bearing runs on it and also the water pump seal.
Next stop was to the shop that does blocks and heads, he also polishes cranking shafts. He looked at the shaft from the boat engine and said that the rod journals is too narrow for his machine but that they all looked just fine as they are.
We brought the shafts back home. Next week the grand daughter is going to work with me and we will use some 600 grit wet/dry sanding paper and polish on the journals of the cranking shaft some. There is some marking on them and I like the journals to be clean to give the bearing a fresh start. Let them build their own wear patterns.
Parts suppose to be arriving real soon now, the gear housing components is suppose to be here Monday and I am hoping the engine rebuild kit will be here today. Get the pistons to the marina shop so he can bore the cylinders and get that out of the way. It’ll all go together quite quickly once that is accomplished. 👍😹😹😹

I about forgot about this thread.
Parts are beginning to arrive, got the water pump kit last Friday and the gear housing propeller shaft carrier and a couple of ofher components was suppose to be in yesterdays mail but the mail person dropped off a couple of envelopes in the mail box but no box pf parts~N~Pieces. If they didnt leave them some where else they should be here today.
The rest of the components is coming in on the sons dime so they might already be here. He may have already left to pistons at the marina shop thats boring the block. Guess I’ll text and find out. LOL
I’ll add to this thread as more of the processes is completed.
I think this weekend, sometime, get the son to come over, heat the skag on the bottom of the gear housing and get it straightened out. It has a bit of a twist and a bend to the left when it is installed. Throws a lot of water into the transom box.

And more parts today. The son stopped over with the engine kit. I didnt check packages to see where the components was produced but the pistons looks of excellent quality. I’ll check tomorrow, curiosity is killing Me now. Might not be able to sleep now it is so bad. 😹😹😹
I told the son that the doc told Me no driving with this surgery, mainly I think from the pain meds, asked if he was going to take the pistons along to drop them off at the shop where the block is. His truck was in the shop for some kind of an update on the operating system so he didnt want to pack them from vehicle to vehicle. Then He Could have taken them right out there and had it done with. Welp, tomorrow if the wifey is up to it, when she gets off work, I will take them out so the block can get bored ASAP. I would like to get the boat out of the garage, get My truck into the garage and get the cooling system figured out before winter sets in, not that its going to over heat in the cold weather, just wanna get it done and make it right for the coming summer hot weather. 😹😹😹😹

Looked over the pistons and bearings. Everything is made in Japan and appears to be of the highest quality. I was hoping to see made in USA but no such luck.
The pistons have some mind of a coating on them, but not the entire piston, just around part of the skirt. I imagine that would be the critical area. @Twisted Steel Performance I imagine this must be a scuff coating of some sort, maybe until the piston warms up and gains its full round, from an oval configuration.
I dont see in the book any spec for piston to cylinder wall clearance, I’ll do some more reading, it might be in the inspection of components writings.
I remember a 400 Dodge V8 I once rebuilt, got the block and pistons with rods back from the shop after they was bored. I always would double check clearances. I glanced at the spec sheet in the motors manual, I think it said one and a half thousandths. I got out the feeler gauges and slid the gauge down the bore, went to slide a piston along side of it, man, mighty tight. I called up the old timer machinist and explained the situation to Him. He asked if I had the book handy, yup, he said look at the spec, I did, He the said, see that little star for a foot note, yup, one and a half thousandths, with a nine pound pull on the feeler gauge. 😳 😹😹😹
That was the tightest fitting pistons I ever did install. That engine had well over a hundred thousand miles kn it the last I seen of that truck and it was still running strong and not a sign of oil comsumption. 😹😹😹
A957C7D1-9B22-48BA-8E07-696F92A80578.jpeg

Pistons going to the shop today so the block can get bored. Young feller over there did not want to bore unless He had the pistons setting right there. Guess I dont blame Him, sometimes taking specs from the book then translating that to the boring bar might be room for more error, maybe ? 🤷‍♂️😹

That is a smarter way to do it...
If he bores it to the tight side of tolerance, and the piston is slightly larger or out of round than spec you have an issue. If He goes to large side of spec and piston is made a hair small, now your fighting huge gap issue and much easier twisted rings.

That is a smarter way to do it...
If he bores it to the tight side of tolerance, and the piston is slightly larger or out of round than spec you have an issue. If He goes to large side of spec and piston is made a hair small, now your fighting huge gap issue and much easier twisted rings.
Yup. If I was operating the boring bar I too would rather have the pistons setting right there.

Might actually begin to get some things done on this boat once again. The shoulder and arm is to where I can actually use it once again.
Yesterday I did some cleaning up of the transom box. Got the years of oil, fuel and grease scrubbed off. Cleaned hoses and cables to keep from getting all gobbed up when putting it all back together.
I did begin to assemble the gear box housing and got one bearing race installed and the shift shaft seal/bushing into position.
The back end of the transom where the engine bolts to, the bolt holes is sort of egged downwards. I have some old shock absorber bushings, the ones that are stamped with the split the length of the bushing. I too one of those for a 1/2" bolt and split it opposite of the factory split. That makes two saddles. The plan is, slightly auger the lower portion of the egged out bolt holes and shove these saddles into the holes to give the engine mount bolts a better surface to rest on.
That will help to lift the engine slightly to where it was on the original installation, and then by tightening up four other bolts that was loose and the engine should be setting right back where it was intended to from the factory.
The sonny boy is suppose to be here today to work on the engine so there just might be a little more of a progess report by the evening time.
he wants to have this together and running by before the end of the month, going to take it back to Tongue River reservoir to shut down the cabin.
I`ll about put money on it that the boat will out perform the previous journey. LOL
Oh yeah, the fuel tank is a 12 gallon unit, not near enough fuel for a thirsty triple cylinder two stroke engine. LOL

Might actually begin to get some things done on this boat once again. The shoulder and arm is to where I can actually use it once again.
Yesterday I did some cleaning up of the transom box. Got the years of oil, fuel and grease scrubbed off. Cleaned hoses and cables to keep from getting all gobbed up when putting it all back together.
I did begin to assemble the gear box housing and got one bearing race installed and the shift shaft seal/bushing into position.
The back end of the transom where the engine bolts to, the bolt holes is sort of egged downwards. I have some old shock absorber bushings, the ones that are stamped with the split the length of the bushing. I too one of those for a 1/2" bolt and split it opposite of the factory split. That makes two saddles. The plan is, slightly auger the lower portion of the egged out bolt holes and shove these saddles into the holes to give the engine mount bolts a better surface to rest on.
That will help to lift the engine slightly to where it was on the original installation, and then by tightening up four other bolts that was loose and the engine should be setting right back where it was intended to from the factory.
The sonny boy is suppose to be here today to work on the engine so there just might be a little more of a progess report by the evening time.
he wants to have this together and running by before the end of the month, going to take it back to Tongue River reservoir to shut down the cabin.
I`ll about put money on it that the boat will out perform the previous journey. LOL
Oh yeah, the fuel tank is a 12 gallon unit, not near enough fuel for a thirsty triple cylinder two stroke engine. LOL

Is the transom water logged from the egg'd out holes? The best solution is to fill those holes with resin and milled glass, then re-drill the holes. Can't do that if the transom wood has water in it. The next best solution would be to apply 5200 sealant around your McGyver solution.

Back