• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Second Chance

NVW

Reaction score
Some may remember my first attempt rebuilding my 98.
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/my-98-build-up.29378/

I recently picked up a 94 2wd with a 6.5, I bought it with a stipulation that it ran, the owner didn't plug it in and the batts were weak. I lifted the back wheels with my bale truck and shoved it onto my gooseneck trailer. In my shop plugged in it started with little smoke, I drove it off the trailer. I was told the flex plate was broken, it was, what a racket.

The engine and trans were pulled as a unit and separated, I'm soaking the glow plugs for removal. It was a Manitoba truck originally and has a lot more rust than what I'm used to. I will do a compression check on the stand to see where It's at.

More updates tomorrow.

This afternoon I put the 599 engine on the stand and did a comp. check. My long glow plug adapter won't seal so I couldn't get a good read on cyl. 6, all the other cylinders were right around 350 psi with the short adapter. Tomorrow I'll remove #6 inj. and try a comp. test on that cyl.

If they are all decent I may just install this engine with the necessary bracket changes. I would do seals and gaskets and inspect the mains for cracks.

I'm getting lazy about this stuff;)

Pic of the donor truck
IMG_0752.JPG

Broken flex plate
IMG_0753.JPG

Donor engine, a bit rusty
IMG_0755.JPG

I know it is Les, at least they are uniform. I just want a runabout, not a puller or racer.

I'm just trying to talk myself out of a rebuild.

Give a a great starter, new batteries w/ big cables, and new Bosch glow plugs. That will help those tired rings on start up.
Wonder how blow your is, or fuel to oil contamination at that wear.

I wished I would have checked for blowby when it was running, with the broken flex plate I didn't want to run it anymore than necessary. If I got 50k miles out of it as is I would be happy. The unknown:(

Yeah, don't know that I would have ran it anymore either. That had to be a racket broke off like that. Hoping for 50k miles, I'd go for it. Inspect the balancer real good while its out.

I haven't done much recently, my inj. adapter is too big so I'm in the process of removing the exh. manifold so I can test #6 cyl.

I found this interesting:IMG_0756.JPG

The donor is a nice looking truck, but has a fair amount of rust and is only 2x4. The 98 is rust free, but has the 60/40 bench seat. If I don't like it I may take the buckets and console out of the 94 and exchange them. The colors match.

Update
#6 has less than 300psi, so I am going to order a rebuild kit, dang. At least on first inspection the block is crack free.

Is that the new water fillable, high airflow pmd (pretty melted, dumba$$) model?

Not that most of us haven't cut into them going "if I can just fix this..."

I still can't believe one of the good electronic dudes out there hasn't reinvented this square wheel.

Is that the new water fillable, high airflow pmd (pretty melted, dumba$$) model?

Not that most of us haven't cut into them going "if I can just fix this..."

I still can't believe one of the good electronic dudes out there hasn't reinvented this square wheel.
They sealed it up with some soft see through stuff. The truck ran with it. I'll have to contact the previous owner and ask what's with it.

IMG_0771.JPG

More good news, the cross hatch still looks pretty good. Much better than my last go around.

IMG_0772.JPG

My last rebuild kit came with 1/2" frost plugs, I wondered what they were for. This 599 block uses them to plug the front oil gallery's. The 141, 506 and China block use 1/2" npt plugs.

Learned something new

Back