• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rough Cold Start

Take those old ones and bench test them. If good keep’em as backup and chuck if bad.

Notice the length and fitment of the 10mm hex for the socket. Delco for the win.
I also noticed some of the heat protectors shields don’t like the bosch for their added length.
I may be wrong but I'm sure some were 11mm?

Take those old ones and bench test them. If good keep’em as backup and chuck if bad.

Notice the length and fitment of the 10mm hex for the socket. Delco for the win.
I also noticed some of the heat protectors shields don’t like the bosch for their added length.

Will, I’ve called cheap many times in my life, but I’m not that cheap. I tossed them.

So left the '99 K2500 unplugged overnight. Weather went from 61 and howling wind at 10:00 PM to snow by 2:00 AM and current temp of 27. Went out to start it and vroom, no issues. Now I just need to finish the passenger side and install the new glow plug harness when it comes.

Got the middle two plugs in on the passenger side. The third one back with the shield on it was a PITA to get the electrical plug on. Had to remove the shield, run the plug through it and connect to glow plug, then reinstall the shield. Haven't assessed the forward glow plug, or the rear, though the rear looks like I need to pull the fender well. New wiring harness has not arrived. Truck starts instantly.

Alright tried to replace the rear two plugs on passenger side w/o pulling the fender well and no go. Looks like one is up behind the down pipe and the heat shield is toast:
80C6288D-AFAC-43A7-A3B3-A013FA3E88AB.jpeg
I assume there is one further back of the down pipe, which means I will need to drop that out of the way. I will order the heat shields from PT Wiring Solutions and do this all at once along with the new wire harness.

Got the PT Wiring Solutions glow plug harness, but waiting for the stainless steel shields to arrive, so it will be done next weekend. Harness is nice. Instructions say to remove the right fender well and down pipe to do the passenger side.

I take it there are two lugs on the glow plug controller that these attach to. There is another orange wire with a heat shrink butt splice on it that sounds like it (says pre OBD 2 1995 and older, but I ordered 1997 and later harness) attaches to 2 orange wires from the ECM. Maybe this will become clearer when I’m actually doing the job.

My order for the heat shields went through at PT Wiring Solutions, but I have not received a shipping e-mail. His site does not provide a phone # for contact, only e-mail. I sent him an e-mail inquiry yesterday. Wondering if he's out of stock and needs to make some?

Anyone have a phone # for PT Wiring Solutions?

Back