• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rough Cold Start

Big T

Reaction score
Over the winter here in Montana I had taken to plugging the coolant heater in the '99 K2500 Suburban as it was getting tough to start. Issue goes away when it's left plugged in. Now that spring has arrived, I still need to plug it in or it starts rough. I ordered a set of 60G glow plugs, but I'm wondering if my injectors are leaking. On the rough starts, only a couple cylinders light initially and then you can hear the others light almost one-by-one until they all light and the engine runs normal.

I don't know the exact mileage on the injectors. The prior owner had changed them, but I don't know the miles he did it at. I've put 75K miles on them. These injectors are the marine version and were purchased from Heath. If I need new injectors, where do I purchased them?

Do the GPs first. It sounds to me like they aint warming evenly across the cylinders.
Before I ever replace injectors again, I will get a test stand or, have them tested. Leakdown, chatter and opening pressures along with spray pattern. Of they pass the leakdown and chatter tests but the opening pressure is off, adjust the ones You have so that they are balanced on all 8.

I agree glowplugs first. Local brick and mortar store.

Balanced regular injectors perform better than marine unbalanced. If you won’t take time to diy set balance and check pattern, pull them and send them in. A leaky injector that drips is usually identified by diesel in the oil on the lab results- or have a go at smelling the oil- but obviously les accurate and not noticeable until big problem exists.
Leroy’s Indian bosch injectors were testing within the great 25psi range- so that's where I tell people get them. Maybe the gp’s from him too? Idk- just make sure he gets them from authorized place ai suppose.

But understand- a bad spray pattern can go from not getting proper power or mpg to putting a hole in your piston.
If those ebay testers are still there for cheap then get one even if you don’t do the rebuilding because you can see the sray pattern.

Or get creative and buy 1 injection line. Undo one from your ip and have the engine running on 7 cylinders to check spray patterns and if they leak. Dont let it spray you, and lay down a beach towel for the mess before you start.

as to new ho injectors- idk. Maybe someone else here knows a great source. Guy on hummer forum was just asking this too.
But sending yours in for rebuild is always an option if you can down the truck a week.

I agree glowplugs first. Local brick and mortar store.

Balanced regular injectors perform better than marine unbalanced. If you won’t take time to diy set balance and check pattern, pull them and send them in. A leaky injector that drips is usually identified by diesel in the oil on the lab results- or have a go at smelling the oil- but obviously les accurate and not noticeable until big problem exists.
Leroy’s Indian bosch injectors were testing within the great 25psi range- so that's where I tell people get them. Maybe the gp’s from him too? Idk- just make sure he gets them from authorized place ai suppose.

But understand- a bad spray pattern can go from not getting proper power or mpg to putting a hole in your piston.
If those ebay testers are still there for cheap then get one even if you don’t do the rebuilding because you can see the sray pattern.

Or get creative and buy 1 injection line. Undo one from your ip and have the engine running on 7 cylinders to check spray patterns and if they leak. Dont let it spray you, and lay down a beach towel for the mess before you start.

as to new ho injectors- idk. Maybe someone else here knows a great source. Guy on hummer forum was just asking this too.
But sending yours in for rebuild is always an option if you can down the truck a week.

When it’s time, I’ll order the injectors from Leroy.

i’ve never been impressed with the HO injectors. I think they made the truck smokier. But they are what the truck came with. I think I have 15K miles left to 100K miles on them.

I bought the GM 60G glow plugs from Rock Auto.

Over the winter here in Montana I had taken to plugging the coolant heater in the '99 K2500 Suburban as it was getting tough to start. Issue goes away when it's left plugged in. Now that spring has arrived, I still need to plug it in or it starts rough. I ordered a set of 60G glow plugs, but I'm wondering if my injectors are leaking. On the rough starts, only a couple cylinders light initially and then you can hear the others light almost one-by-one until they all light and the engine runs normal.

I don't know the exact mileage on the injectors. The prior owner had changed them, but I don't know the miles he did it at. I've put 75K miles on them. These injectors are the marine version and were purchased from Heath. If I need new injectors, where do I purchased them?
Lots of white smoke to, or?

If anything goes wrong with those plugs from RA- you are on your own. You’ll get no warranty fro RA or AC Delco. Remember the Bosch that came apart and ruined my piston... thats what got me to follow up with Delco and to quit buying from RA unless there isn’t another place to get critical parts.

Right: old driver’s side Bosch glow plugs
Left: new AC Delco 60G

Is the taper on the Bosch by design, or is that wear?

I could used a new wiring harness. Is there a guy still making upgraded harnesses?

07E4027A-001A-43BC-8313-0E09AE5A7190.jpeg
P.S. need to buy a set of deep sockets for Montana home to get the passenger side plugs out 😎

Take those old ones and bench test them. If good keep’em as backup and chuck if bad.

Notice the length and fitment of the 10mm hex for the socket. Delco for the win.
I also noticed some of the heat protectors shields don’t like the bosch for their added length.

Back