• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Red's deuce

red

Being a lake bum in Texas
Reaction score
me7u6uma.jpg

Picked it up a little over a week ago. Good, solid truck that needed a little brake work but was ready to roll. Drove it a little over 330 miles home through west Texas.

1971 model that was rebuilt in 92, still has the multifuel engine with the turbo. All stock, even the Ndt tires lol.

Planning to make it into a offroad capable camper that I can take just about anywhere. Increase the top speed, comforts, and able to recover itself when I get stuck. Going through the truck first before I worry about the camper.

List of planned upgrades are:
lights
brakes
tires
seats
radio
Muffler
floor coating
Fuel capacity
winches
storage

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

ysupamyq.jpg

City won't let me park it in the driveway but says out back is good, so tore down a section of fence and making another parking pad.

When adjusting the brakes had a tension can break on the front driver side wheel, had to remove the wheel and drum to fix it. 1/2" breaker bar didn't like that haha

esagerum.jpg

Kobalt actually. Was using the military 1 1/2" socket (feed through hole, not a regular socket. Now have a 3/4" set, good to go

By the way I was bouncing on the end of a 6' cheater pipe to do that (I'm around 170). The others came off well enough, that one was stuck lol

Love it, Red. That there is one Highly-Adaptable Rig, and like Mike, I am waiting anxiously to see what y'all come up with!

[video]http://www.moviewavs.com/0093058674/MP3S/Movies/Stripes/armed_rv.mp3[/video]

First of many "custom tools". Living vicariously through you with this one.

What's wrong with parking out front, bunch of whiners. Where does a 800 pound gorilla sit? Anywhere he wants! If the last one was land yacht does that make this the land battleship or destroyer?

Haha not sure with the name yet. I'm usually not the one who names my projects.

The city has a problem with the 3rd axle, that's why they won't let me park out front for over 24 hours. Picky little turds.

With the cruising speed I want to be at 65mph. Got a set of the super singles from a mrap that I need to pick up in Houston in a couple weeks. Those will get me to 2200 rpm's at 60mph. Change the 5th gear in the trans to a .69 will comfortably get me the rest.

remu4eru.jpg

Got the little LED lights mounted, not wired yet

I didn't get a chance to attend the local cruise night last night but there was a 6x6 headed there...:D
If he's at the one in our little downtown this Friday I'll get a few pics.

Lol better than expected with the multifuel, about 9mpg with the stock tires. Guys with the 395 super singles get 10-12mpg.

Btfarm pics or it didn't happen lol.

gara5a4e.jpg

Remote brake reservoir installed, now have a sealed hydraulic system for the brakes

sent from Serenity, passing through reaver territory

Haha I think my 'city code' official would have a heart attack if another truck appeared out back hahaha. I was going over the pro's/con's of the deuce with a camper, 5 ton with a camper, or the old land yacht with a offroad capable trailer. Deuce won the debate (for me).

Received my insurance paperwork in the mail, planning to get the truck inspected either this weekend or next. metal tubing arrived yesterday for the exhaust. It's getting routed to exit the rear passenger side with a muffler. It will be a tight fit getting past the fuel tank and the leading part of the bed frame (4" exhaust) but will fit with very few bends. Going to wrap the exhaust to just past the fuel tank, should keep the radiant heat down. I don't want to change the look of the truck, just make some functional upgrades to increase its abilities and some comfort.

In about a month I'll have the 'super single' tires for the truck. Running the MRAP 395's with their wheels. I'm comfortable with the modern bolt together 2 piece wheels, not a big fan of the old style split rims. Was planning to do the power steering modification first but couldn't pass up the deal on these.

Trucks inspected and half the exhaust work is done. Tight fit with a 4" along the passenger floorboard but not too bad

seza5esa.jpg

7uqe5ehy.jpg

u4aveqy5.jpg

Stopped after the cab for now. Need some flex pipe to get to the bed since that's where the frame flexes the most

"Sent from Serenity, passing through reaver territory"

Back