• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuilding of a Truck Camper

Alot of manufacturers screwed the pooch when they built the fridge box. Sometimes you need to build a baffle to go between the condenser and the wall to close up the gap, or install fans.

Alot of manufacturers screwed the pooch when they built the fridge box. Sometimes you need to build a baffle to go between the condenser and the wall to close up the gap, or install fans.

I could add but, really do not know how I would give it more space. I will measure it up soon.

I could add but, really do not know how I would give it more space. I will measure it up soon.

The problem is that many give the fridge to much space between the condenser and the wall behind it. If it isn't a close fit between the condenser and the wall behind it, you lose the thermocline effect that causes airflow across the condenser. When the fridge box is built correctly, you will feel an actual draft going through the fridge area and out the vent up top. It will feel like a fan running. If there is to much space the air won't get hot enough coming off of the condenser, and you won't get the natural thermocline to cause airflow.

I use a small computer fan to blow air across the condensers to keep the air flowing. Sometimes I get ice in my fridge. :D That is how cold they can get when cooled properly.

Marty, when you are finished with this rebuild, you should consider sending a copy of this thread on a CD to the original manufacturer of that camper shell to show them what you did and how you went about it. I bet they would be very interested. Maybe even make you an unpaid consultant. ;) LOL

The problem is that many give the fridge to much space between the condenser and the wall behind it. If it isn't a close fit between the condenser and the wall behind it, you lose the thermocline effect that causes airflow across the condenser. When the fridge box is built correctly, you will feel an actual draft going through the fridge area and out the vent up top. It will feel like a fan running. If there is to much space the air won't get hot enough coming off of the condenser, and you won't get the natural thermocline to cause airflow.

I originally had 1 1/2" of space. I added a layer of 1/2" foam so I know have 1" of space. I will purchase another sheet of 1/2" foam and add it to the other sheet that is there.

I use a small computer fan to blow air across the condensers to keep the air flowing. Sometimes I get ice in my fridge. :D That is how cold they can get when cooled properly.

Marty, when you are finished with this rebuild, you should consider sending a copy of this thread on a CD to the original manufacturer of that camper shell to show them what you did and how you went about it. I bet they would be very interested. Maybe even make you an unpaid consultant. ;) LOL

I have called once and got the plans I have. They did not act surprised but, I will give it a shot.

This storm is wrecking havoc on my camper. It ripped off a small panel and has soaked down everything. I wish I could have got all the doors mounted up. :mad2:

Ut oh. As long as the wood can get dried out, you should be fine. Wood rots when it is under constant moisture and cannot dry out. I hope you make out OK down there Marty. I saw the storms and tornadoes on the news.

Ut oh. As long as the wood can get dried out, you should be fine. Wood rots when it is under constant moisture and cannot dry out. I hope you make out OK down there Marty. I saw the storms and tornadoes on the news.

My family and myself made it out fine. The cover got some more damage.

Yikes. Those things are so scary. Glad to hear you and your family are OK.

Thank You! :thumbsup:

The weather finally cooperated enough for me to get some work done. The wind today is still killer but, that does not stop me like rain.
I got the door support for the fridge installed. It went on very easy.
IMG_1367.jpg
Here it is with the door on.
IMG_1368.jpg
I then started working on the propane box. I got it stapled into place. Installed the rear bar to hold down the propane tanks. The board is cut for the underside to hold down the front of the propane tanks.
IMG_1369.jpg
I then installed the propane door. It is propped up in this picture.
IMG_1370.jpg
I will now focus on the generator door area. :agreed:

Hope everybody is having a great day! :hello:

Got a little work done today. Here is a picture of the air space this generator needs. I want to add this is a very heavy 113 ponds.
IMG_1371.jpg
I got a piece of flashing installed underneath. I also filled the holes with pink foam. I then installed the brackets that went around the two holes. This is the only picture I got of this. I will get another picture later.
IMG_1372.jpg
Here is the generator slid into place. Still needs to be connected and bolted down.
IMG_1373.jpg
Here is how I got it in the hole. I had a buddy help me get it on top of all the wood.
IMG_1374.jpg
The bad part is I stripped out a bolt and might have to pull out the generator to get it fixed. :mad2:

Only 113 pounds, that aint to bad. My HONDA EU3000IS weighs about 160 with fuel in it. It's a HEAVY SOB to get loaded up by myself.

Only 113 pounds, that aint to bad. My HONDA EU3000IS weighs about 160 with fuel in it. It's a HEAVY SOB to get loaded up by myself.

This one runs on propane, I have another one just like it that runs on gas. The gas one needs a new carb.

I figured out the bolt. It is a 3/8" with a 16 pitch. I already have a tap for it. I will just have to purchase a new bolt.

This one runs on propane, I have another one just like it that runs on gas. The gas one needs a new carb.

I figured out the bolt. It is a 3/8" with a 16 pitch. I already have a tap for it. I will just have to purchase a new bolt.

Your built in unit weighs less than my "portable HONDA" unit does. I like how quiet my HONDA is, but I DREAD loading it up everytime I need to use it.

If it ever stops raining I will yank out the generator and get that stripped nut fixed. :thumbsup:

I need to get this thing done! :mad2: I have been working on this since 11 August 13.

Back