• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuilding of a Truck Camper

I'm tearing into mine today too. My right rear jack is loose and I'm not sure whether there's wood damage there and can't get to the area very well because of how the shower stall sits in there so am going to pull the skin on the right side and check everything out. I pulled the windows and doors on the left side a couple of years ago to reseal everything and all the wood on that side looked like new but the guy I bought the camper from had just done the right side dinette window. He said the wood on that side was good and had pictures where he had replaced the bottom part of the wood frame at the bottom of the dinette window. He hadn't pulled the skin though and just cut out the inside paneling along the back of the dinette. I like pulling the outside skin since it's just some screws and staples and allows me to reseal everything as good or better than new. As you can see on your project, sealing these things regularly is probably the most important maintenance step there is. I run new caulk around the windows, door and fixtures every year and if the original caulk (the flat, grey putty stuff that comes in rolls - can't remember what it's called at the moment) has hardened I pull the window or door, clean it up, and replace it with new. After I put the window or whatever back in I run a plastic putty knife or plastic picnic knife around it to trim the putty even with the window frame and then run a bead of good quality mildew resistant exterior caulk. I can pull everything on a 8 or 10 foot camper in about 2 hours but cleaning the old putty takes me a good 4 hours, then another couple of hours reinstalling. I usually wait until the next day to run the beads of caulk.

Campers require a ton of upkeep, 97% of owners never do it. Then they are appalled why their camper leaked rain all over the place. In my opinion, if you can afford it, all campers when not in use should have a roof over there head. Wish you luck on what ever you decide to do with your camper. :agreed:

I agree with you on inside storage. We're able to keep ours under roof, but I don't think we're in the majority.

You are correct, most people just leave them outside to rot in peace. Around here covered RV parking at its cheapest is $100 a month. The most expensive I have seen is around $350 a month.

I have a cover on mine. I would say it is about 6 months old and it shows. If it last a year I will be amazed.

I am now adding extra support for under the propane tanks and to strengthen up were the two boards will meet. I am thinking about laying down a layer of flashing down all the way across this area. We will see, here is what I got done so far. Would have gotten more but the power went out.
IMG_1301.jpg
While the power was out I added a board to keep the drawers and its contents away from the propane tank area. In other words I added a small wall.
Before,
IMG_1302.jpg
After,
IMG_1303.jpg
Back to work I go! :hello:

It's those little fixits that make it worthwhile to do this kinda project.
I always thought sliding drawer tops to keep the siverware etc inside would be a worthy addition.

From orbit on my Android.

It's those little fixits that make it worthwhile to do this kinda project.
I always thought sliding drawer tops to keep the siverware etc inside would be a worthy addition.

From orbit on my Android.

I agree, good idea! :thumbsup:

I got a little more work done after lunch. I did not get as much done as I wanted. The wind picked up and was attempting to blow my cover away.
I installed more bottom support wood pieces.
IMG_1304.jpg
I did some other things. I will post more pictures tomorrow.

Got some more work done this morning. :rof: If you even want to call what I am doing work.

The front corner tie down mount is now mounted back onto the camper. If you go back and look this thing was barely held on by much of anything. I still need to add the four screws that help hold the plate in place.
IMG_1305.jpg
I made a quick jig to make 4 identical cuts. This was easier to do than what I had in my mind floating around.
IMG_1306.jpg
Here is what I needed the four identical cuts for. I am not done installing this one, yet. It is really only being held on at the moment by a few nails, those two clamps and gravity.
IMG_1307.jpg
There is a chance of rain for us on Saturday and Sunday. I have to cease all camper work to get the yard looking nice. :agreed:

I looked high and I looked low. I went to every store in town and could not find it. But, I never gave up. My persistence paid off. I found it two towns over in a building supply warehouse. Here is what I was looking for.
IMG_1309.jpg
It is galvanized flashing, 24" by 10'. I need this for some areas for support and to cover wood with.

I applied the first coat of wood sealer to the inside of the area I just installed wood into. But know I am out of wood sealer, need some stainless screws for the tie down, and other things. But, I have no money left over for the month to purchase anything. :mad2:

I will attempt to trim down some of this new flashing I got.

Got a little work done today. I was originally going to do a fit test on the flashing install. It was so hard to get in and fit so well I just do not want to take it back out. I originally was going to liquid nail it in along with staples. It will now just be stapled in.
IMG_1310.jpg
and
IMG_1311.jpg
I still need to staple it down.

The bad weather we were suppose to get today and tomorrow is now going around us. We sure could use the rain. I should get some work done on it tomorrow. I need to get another 2X4 to cut down.

I spent the morning cutting and prepping all the wood I wanted to install today, here it is.
IMG_1312.jpg
I would have installed it all before lunch too but, I had to go and purchase some screws and install them for the tie down point.
IMG_1313.jpg
I first installed the panel.
IMG_1315.jpg
I then installed the short piece that runs up and down.
IMG_1316.jpg
Then the piece that helps support the fridge. I still got more to do to this one. It needs two hole drilled into it for the propane and 12V lines for the fridge.
IMG_1317.jpg
I still have a lot more to do. Atleast the list is getting shorter.

:thumbsup:

Thank You! :thumbsup:

I thought I was done cutting out old rotted wood. I was wrong and it might not end anytime soon.
IMG_1320.jpg
After breaking this piece off multiple times I figured it was time to reenforce it.
IMG_1321.jpg
I finally put up the wall that separates the fridge from a small storage area.
IMG_1322.jpg
I got the wood built up for the plug for the fridge.
IMG_1323.jpg
You can see this in the picture above but, here it is again. Got the holes cut and the plastic inserts just held in with gravity.
IMG_1324.jpg
I still got about three other pieces cut just waiting to install.
Figure I would update y'all! :hello:

Today, the wind is howling. It is strong and is not letting up. I will probably not get too much done today. I am nervous about opening up the cover any more than I already have. I have done a couple things thou.

I got the other board installed.
IMG_1325.jpg
I got the fridge plug screwed into the wall.
IMG_1326.jpg
I hope the wind slows down some. I need to get inside and rip out some more rotted wood.

I might have to find other things to do. :hello:

The wind never died down. I went ahead and did what I could. :agreed:

I reinstalled one of the support boards for the propane tanks. I then cut out three new ones. If you look back you will see that it only had three support boards. I hope this helps it out a little with the strength of everything.
IMG_1327.jpg
I added some trim pieces around the wall I put in yesterday.
IMG_1328.jpg
I put in a sub floor in the small storage area.
IMG_1329.jpg
The screws for the fridge plug was not held very tight. I added a small piece of plywood to support it. Sure does not look good but it does what it is suppose too. I still need to dremel off the ends of the screws.
IMG_1330.jpg
I will now work my way to the inside to cut out more rotted wood. :thumbsup:

I was inside the RV looking around and noticed the floor was sagging. Here is how I had the RV sitting inside the RV. It is too big in all aspects and dimensions to remove outside of the RV. All the weight from the fridge was causing the floor to sag.
IMG_1333.jpg
I had the fridge on the Home Depot bucket. The fridge is heavy and I did not want to pick it up from off the ground by myself. There is not enough room for two people to lift it up.
IMG_1334.jpg
Moving the fridge were the bed is suppose to be seemed to temporarily relieved the floor issue. If you look at the picture you can tell were the floor was sagging. At least I can. If you also look the entire flooring is peeling up. That is okay it is all getting yanked out anyways.
IMG_1335.jpg
I removed the rest of the rotting wood from inside the RV. I will hopefully get all the new wood cut up tonight and ready for install in the morning.
IMG_1336.jpg
Back to work I go! :hello:

Got a little bit done today on the camper. I ran a bunch of errands this morning so not a lot got done.

I added a trim piece in the small storage area.
IMG_1337.jpg
I then got all the rotted wood replaced under the fridge area. Along with the pieces that needed to be installed inside the area. I still have a couple more things to do inside of this area before I can put the floor in.
IMG_1338.jpg
I went and purchased the new outside plug. The new is on top of the old in the picture. The old was brittle, cracked, and broken. It is hard to tell in the picture.
IMG_1339.jpg
I will do a little more tonight. It is coming along nicely! :thumbsup:

Back