• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuilding of a Truck Camper

I have been working on this some. I still do not have the generator back in. It has been testing my curse word ability. I will not let this generator beat me. Nothing I have done is picture worthy. When I get it all installed I will show my handy work.

I did remount the front jack. I plan on getting the back jack mounted up this week, sometime.

Thanks for all that follow me on this thread, y'all keep me motivated to continue on.

I put the front jack on a few weeks ago. I need to move this camper. So I reinstalled the front jack, it might come off again later.
IMG_1407.jpg
Today I started working on the rear jack mounts. I cleaned up the area then put butyl tape on the mount and installed it with new galvanized lag bolts. I used some old bolts to hold together the upper jack. It is a two piece, this makes it easier to get the jack bolts in later.
IMG_1408.jpg
I then installed the trim piece the same way but, I used stainless screws on it. I also installed the lower jack mount the same as the upper.
IMG_1409.jpg
I then installed the last and lower trim piece. Then I mounted up the jack. It has been off almost 1 year. I removed it on or before 11 August 2013. I am gladd to see the jack back on!
IMG_1410.jpg

I will get all the lose wires taped up or plugged in. So I can plug her in and see how the jacks work. :agreed:

I can not get the A/C to turn on in the truck camper. From my research with out looking it sounds to be the compressor start capacitor. When I turn on the A/C I never hear the compressor kick on. Hopefully next week I can get up on top and see what the issue is.

If the capacitor is bad, it normally will try and start the compressor, but the rotor will lock and it will pop the breaker. Have you tried turning the t-stat up and then back down? SOmetimes some moisture gets into the contacts of the t-stat and not make contact. If your compressor tries to start or it pops the breaker, I would suspect a capacitor, but if it doesn't do anything I would be looking at the t-stat.

If the capacitor is bad, it normally will try and start the compressor, but the rotor will lock and it will pop the breaker. Have you tried turning the t-stat up and then back down? SOmetimes some moisture gets into the contacts of the t-stat and not make contact. If your compressor tries to start or it pops the breaker, I would suspect a capacitor, but if it doesn't do anything I would be looking at the t-stat.

I will try that.

My thermostat is a knob on the A/C unit. I have to go threw either the three speeds of the fan only or threw the one for heat before I get to the A/C portion. When I run it threw the fan only then to A/C the compressor. It never kicks on.

You turn on the A/C and it does nothing.

It is working now. It has been running for about 10 - 15 minutes and is at about 62F.

It has not ran in over a year, atleast it works.

Thanks for the help ferm! :thumbsup:

I will try that.

My thermostat is a knob on the A/C unit. I have to go threw either the three speeds of the fan only or threw the one for heat before I get to the A/C portion. When I run it threw the fan only then to A/C the compressor. It never kicks on.

You turn on the A/C and it does nothing.

Bad low pressure cutoff? If it even has one.

From orbit on my Android.

Good to hear that you got it running Marty. My AC unit in my camper sometimes does not run, but it is in the fan motor. When it is powered on, I just help start the fan to spin, and it works all season. Sometimes from sitting, the fan does not want to spin. But glad to hear that your nice and cool. :thumbsup:

Bad low pressure cutoff? If it even has one.

Good question, I have no clue.

From orbit on my Android.

Good to hear that you got it running Marty. My AC unit in my camper sometimes does not run, but it is in the fan motor. When it is powered on, I just help start the fan to spin, and it works all season. Sometimes from sitting, the fan does not want to spin. But glad to hear that your nice and cool. :thumbsup:

The fan works, great. Just the compressor has problems kicking on. It was blowing out air at 62F when I turned it off. It still needs more work but, I will have to move it this weekend coming up.

The cover finally decided to give up. The wind storm we had yesterday finally finished it off. It lasted well over 1 year. Too me, not bad since it was under construction the entire time. If I have time I might do some work to her. She is still not done. I have just not had any time or money.

Friend of mine found the toughest cover ever for his rv, a used billboard vinyl. If you have a company anywhere you that does them, they usually sell the old vinyl printings as tarps to people asking for them for a $20 bill and your set.

How much is left to finish?

Friend of mine found the toughest cover ever for his rv, a used billboard vinyl. If you have a company anywhere you that does them, they usually sell the old vinyl printings as tarps to people asking for them for a $20 bill and your set.

How much is left to finish?

Not too much. I have seen those being used. Thanks!

They call them billboard flexes. I still have 1 maybe 2 out in the shop. I had 2 uncles that did billboard lighting, and the sign company they sub contracted out of used to throw em out. Once upon a time I used to keep a dozen or so out here. Unfortunately the compmnay quit subbing work out, and I can't get no mo of em. They hold up well, but after a year or so they get hard and lose there flexibility.

Here is how the cover ended it's life. It split down the top. It is now in the trash. I will start looking for a new cover.
IMG_1432.JPG

Those covers don't last long. Seems like I go through one every two years or so.

I wanted 1 year. I got 1 year and 3 months or so. I paid $128 for the cover. It cost me $8.50 a month to use it. Not to bad. I might try something different. I am still hunting down a good deal. I would like to pay less than $100 for my next one. If it last a year, I will be happy.

Back