• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuilding of a Truck Camper

I got a little done today. Last night I installed the bottom support board. Today I routed the groove for the power lines to run threw the support board. Here is what it looks like mounted up.
IMG_1340.jpg
I then cut and mounted up the above board along with the one the fridge sits on.
IMG_1341.jpg
I went ahead and glued in one of the extra cross support boards.
IMG_1342.jpg
I started measuring up were the outside plug will be mounted. I will show you when it is done, hopefully tomorrow.

I got a little work done last night. I took the cover off the generator. This morning I hooked it up to the cherry picker. I am attempting on removing the bottom half of the cover so I can pressure wash it clean. This thing was full of dirt dobber nests and also had a rat nest in it.
IMG_1343.jpg
I installed three more fridge support boards. I still have two more to glue and nail down.
IMG_1344.jpg
I installed a small board in the small storage area. This will help prevent crap from falling under the propane tank area.
IMG_1345.jpg
I hope to get some more done today. I plan on taking my kids riding so, it might not be very productive.

Hope everybody has a great Saturday of fun! :thumbsup:

I gave up getting the generator apart. I cleaned what I could and slapped it back together. Maybe next time it needs a service. :skep:

I got the hole cut out for the outside plug and ran the wires inside it.
IMG_1346.jpg
I got to build wood up around it to support it. Maybe on Monday, today is already fun filled with family.

Got a little work done today. I got the last two fridge cross boards installed.
IMG_1347.jpg
I then got the support wood for the outside plug installed.
IMG_1348.jpg
I then put the two inside boards in and screwed them down to the ones below. It should not go anyplace anytime soon.
IMG_1349.jpg
I put a coat or two of wood sealer on the wood in the propane storage area. I then foamed between the boards.
IMG_1350.jpg
I had to remove three panels and loosen a fourth to get the propane box in. It was almost as hard to get in as it was to get out. But with a little nudge here and there she finally slid on into place.
IMG_1351.jpg
I still got more to do! :agreed:

I got the plug installed and done. It did not turn out like I liked but, it will work.
IMG_1352.jpg
I just got done putting a third layer of wood sealer on. I will let it dry over night and install the siding back on in the morning.

yep, another day done! :eek:

I got the siding put back up and pink foamed the area's that needed it.
IMG_1353.jpg
I got the last two boards stapled down and removed the c-clamps. I also cleaned up the area for the new fridge floor to go into. It is hard to see but I installed wood blocks in all the corners for extra support of the fridge on the floor.
IMG_1354.jpg
I put the thin foam up that I had removed and then installed more siding that goes between the fridge and propane tank doors.
IMG_1355.jpg
I need to purchase some of this thin foam to put behind the siding around the propane tanks. Off to the store I go! :hello:

I got all the siding up!
IMG_1356.jpg
Except this one spot. It is going to be tricky to get back together. This spot was one of the causes of the rot in this section.
IMG_1357.jpg
I also started putting foam with a foil back into the fridge area. I only have the two spots foamed up.
IMG_1358.jpg
I just put those two pieces in to see how it was going to fit. It looks good! :thumbsup:

great work again,,but have you thought about buying a bigger truck?,maybe a c6500,i think your duallys getting to its weight limit,with all your improvements

great work again,,but have you thought about buying a bigger truck?,maybe a c6500,i think your duallys getting to its weight limit,with all your improvements

Considering I have pulled out over 50 pounds of dirt dobber nest I should be good. :hihi:

I really do not think I have added too much weight. The pressure treated wood once dry seems to have the same weight as the good wood that I have yanked out.

I have added pink foam, it is less weight than the dirt and water filled fiberglass that was in there.

I did add some galvanized metal. That will add weight but, it will add strength.

Maybe I will slap it on a scale when I get it back together. :shrug:

No stickies yet, but thats a good idea.

I got the adapters, once I figure out how to install them I will take some pictures and add it to this thread. Thank You! :thumbsup:

I got the last of the siding back up. I have it clamped on because I used 100% silicone to help seal out the rain. I just need to get the three doors back up. Hopefully in the next couple of days.
IMG_1359.jpg
I got most of the foam insulation installed last night. There is still more I need to add.
IMG_1360.jpg
I put some more insulation in. The fridge had trouble keeping foods cold enough. Before I start spending more money on fans I wanted to attempt to insulate the crud out of this. There is still more I want to add.
IMG_1361.jpg
Here is the new fridge floor. I just have to cut out the two holes for the propane line and 12V power.
IMG_1362.jpg
Let me get these cut outs done. :agreed:

I got the adapters, once I figure out how to install them I will take some pictures and add it to this thread. Thank You! :thumbsup:

Basicaly just glue them to whatever you want light coming from. Could make a hellacious porch light:rolleyes5:

Basicaly just glue them to whatever you want light coming from. Could make a hellacious porch light:rolleyes5:

Ok, I will see what I can do.

I finally feel like I got something accomplished. I still can not believe how easy this thing slid into its remolded home.
Yep, I got the fridge in!
IMG_1363.jpg
I still got to yank it back out but, I was not happy with its laying on its side.
I did get the floor installed. I also got the extra insulation installed.
IMG_1364.jpg
As you see above I got everything near the correct spot. I lost one of the plastic plugs for the 12V wire. I will continue to look for it. If I do not find it I will have to purchase a new one. Here is another shot of the next level of insulation and the floor.
IMG_1365.jpg
I will probably not get much done on it again till after Monday. Got a busy next couple of days.

It might be worthwhile to look into reflective mylar faced bubble wrap. I've seen it used as a thermal duct covering for AC ducts. Duct tape it to all five hidden sides of the fridge.

From orbit on my Android.

For the fridge make sure the condenser is within a 1/2" fro mthe rear wall when it is installed. Alot of cooling problems come back to the fridge being installed with improper clearances. If there is to much clearance from the condenser to the rear wall, it won't get a good thermocline effect. Also while you have it out, pull the flew apart and clean the soot out. There is a deflector that goes into the burner tube from the top down, and it is easiest to pull out and clean with the fridge out.

It might be worthwhile to look into reflective mylar faced bubble wrap. I've seen it used as a thermal duct covering for AC ducts. Duct tape it to all five hidden sides of the fridge.

From orbit on my Android.

Yep, I used it already and I do not think there is room for any more. Thanks! :thumbsup:

For the fridge make sure the condenser is within a 1/2" fro mthe rear wall when it is installed. Alot of cooling problems come back to the fridge being installed with improper clearances. If there is to much clearance from the condenser to the rear wall, it won't get a good thermocline effect. Also while you have it out, pull the flew apart and clean the soot out. There is a deflector that goes into the burner tube from the top down, and it is easiest to pull out and clean with the fridge out.

I will try that when I slide it back out. The flew being clogged might be the reason for the propane not working at all. I need/have to fix the drain for the inside. I can not control the depth of the fridge. It is already set, I did not mess with that portion. I only messed with the height by replacing the floor. I also need to slide it back out to adjust that flap and 12v wire that was dangling. I still have a lot more to do.

Back