• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuild Time

Could have been this way for a long time, maybe it would last a long time more? Hopefully the inserts won't be to pricey.

Shoot, that's more surface area to work with and should push a stronger flame front- I say run it like it is, and run it HARD!

Didn't really get to see that till now on a full screen- holy moly!

I've seen alot of pistons in my day but I've NEVER seen one crack in 2 like that... Congrats Leo!

I wonder about the valve it hit, it's rocker arm, pushrod, and lifter. Even the cam is worth checking. That is a lot of force to due that. Bad valve spring maybe floated? The fact that you never heard anything go bam makes it more weird.

I wonder about the valve it hit, it's rocker arm, pushrod, and lifter. Even the cam is worth checking. That is a lot of force to due that. Bad valve spring maybe floated? The fact that you never heard anything go bam makes it more weird.
There are no marks on the valves, push rods are fine. There was no indication anything was wrong until I stopped and it came to an idle, then the miss could be heard and felt.

Here's some pics of the piston out, I guess I'll be looking into Lock n Stitch or a new block. One wonders how long the cracks have been there.
What is that big circular mark on that piston??.

Leo I have a brand new block sitting here,looks like i never gonna use it..i sell it to you cheap!.
I have heads too..new in the box

What is that big circular mark on that piston??.

Leo I have a brand new block sitting here,looks like i never gonna use it..i sell it to you cheap!.
I have heads too..new in the box
Simon, all the pistons have that circular mark, for this build I have the Full Torque inserts coming and I'll use the heads from the 98 as they only had 10-20k kms on them. Going to send you a PM.

This is the cleaned up version of the piston. The earlier indent in the pic was mostly an optical illusion. There is a slight casting defect. They all cleaned up quite nice.

I had higher egt's for awhile and suspect that is what did this piston in, a bad injector. ECT was not an issue.

Attachments

• IMG_0504.JPG
    IMG_0504.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 19
Seems like everyone that post a picture of their pistons looks like a valve has hit it. Several lately, I think I asked Bowtiebutler the same thing in his post and turned out it was just an illusion. Weird :confused:

Back